ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Pro4 Does not POST after voltage change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iambread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350 Pro4 Does not POST after voltage change
    Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 3:11pm
Specs
  • CPU: R5-1600
  • AB350 Pro4 @P3.00
  • RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB)  DDR4 3000 CMU16GX4M2C3000C15
So basically, anytime I attempt to set any kind of manual overclock in the BIOS, it does not POST/Boot. The moment I select "Save & Reset", all I receive is a black screen. It does not shut down, it just remains black. Then, when I forcibly turn it off and reboot, I get another black screen. 

I'm actually quite baffled, as this was not the first time I attempted an overclock. I had successfully posted and booted with the settings (3825MHz @ 1.35625v stable, and anything under) previously, upon returning to the BIOS to check some values, then leaving, it refuses to POST/Boot. Black screen.

Cleared CMOS, I could POST. Thinking it was my overclock being randomly unstable, I dialed it back to 3800MHz @ 1.35 (stable), same thing, black screen upon "Save & Reset".

After testing other settings in the BIOS, it only occurs when I alter the CPU Voltage or Frequency. Other settings such as DRAM Voltage, RAM Timings or AMD CBS can be changed and still POST/Boot.

The overclock is stable in Ryzen Master, and it's what I currently use since BIOS OC'ing doesn't work. 

I've heard some people over at Reddit say it's an LLC issue, and setting an Offset will allow it to boot, but sadly the AB350 Pro4 lacks any of these options.

Can somebody help me as to why? Or is this just a bug that not everyone has? 
Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Edited by Iambread - 14 Sep 2017 at 3:18pm
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 6:14pm
i had a similar thing the other week on an msi b350
setting 3.8 ghz and then dialing in a 1.35volt resulted in dead pc until cmos reset

however upon trying a 3.8 cpu overclock and leaving the volts to auto worked directly and has remained stable for over two weeks now including many hours of AAA titles gaming
(strangely enough and VERY IMPORTANT TO CHECK the actual running volts while stress testing NEVER GO over 1.3 volts by any margin..... 1.306 if that !)
this is really the most lame and noob form of overclock but it worked well

roughly a week later with the same spec r5 1600 and msi b350 (but another system entirely), i could proceed on that system to do the normal 3.8ghz and set the volts manually to 1.35v and it booted straight up no issues....go figure ! both same bios etc
the only technical difference that could possibly maybe effect it was the first system had a very high end power supply , and the second system a more budget (but trusted brand) one
to be fair if psu's made a difference it should have been the other way round in that example

to summerise try just leaving volts auto and raise the cpu speed a little
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU MONITOR THE CPU VOLTS THOUGH  some boards can get very very generous with auto volting
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Iambread View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iambread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 11:23pm
Yeah I currently use Ryzen Master, which requires the Voltage to be left at auto. I disabled core boost, so the voltage usually stays around 1.125-1.2 volts @ 3.2GHz...

Ryzen master isn't really ideal for a long term OC, but i usually profile switch from 3.83GHz to 3.4GHz when not gaming.

I have an EVGA 750 G2, so that's pretty "High-End" I guess...

I wonder if this bug will ever be fixed in the future? Ouch

Edited by Iambread - 14 Sep 2017 at 11:26pm
Zach1928 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach1928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 4:57am
Was there ever a resolution to this? I'v had the same issue trying to OC my R5 1400 on the B350 Pro4. As for voltage- there is no auto option once the OC mode is set. 3.8ghz at 1.35v is stable in Ryzen master, but the pc wont boot if done from the UEFI. Also running the P2.6 UEFI
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Zach1928 Zach1928 wrote:

Was there ever a resolution to this? I'v had the same issue trying to OC my R5 1400 on the B350 Pro4. As for voltage- there is no auto option once the OC mode is set. 3.8ghz at 1.35v is stable in Ryzen master, but the pc wont boot if done from the UEFI. Also running the P2.6 UEFI

First, why are you using a UEFI version that is two AMD AGESA updates behind the current 1.0.0.6b? You really should update to version 3.20. AMD is still catching up with the CPU microcode for Ryzen (AGESA is the microcode) and will be releasing a new major update in the near future with AGESA 1.0.0.7.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

If you are familiar with the history of Ryzen, you know that it was rushed out by AMD before it was completely ready. What other reason for any basic problems over clocking would there be besides immature UEFI/BIOS versions with incomplete CPU microcode and UEFI code to match?

If you check some of the almost 500 user reviews of this board at Newegg, you won't find any consistent issue with over clocking. Plus the overall rating for this board is five stars. I normally don't go by Newegg reviews, but with that many it must mean something.

Do you believe using the Auto VCore mode will fix any over clocking problem because one person said that in this thread? It can help, by applying a higher than necessary VCore, but disabling the Auto VCore setting is the first thing any experienced person doing an OC does.

3.8GHz is a high OC relative to Ryzen processors. 400MHz over the max Turbo frequency is a dream for 1700/1700X and 1800/1800X users on X370 boards.

Please update to the 3.20 UEFI before we continue trying to help you. Please use the Instant Flash UEFI update method, it is the most reliable. Please perform the update with stock settings in the UEFI.

Zach1928 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach1928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 1:50am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by Zach1928 Zach1928 wrote:

First, why are you using a UEFI version that is two AMD AGESA updates behind the current 1.0.0.6b? You really should update to version 3.20. AMD is still catching up with the CPU microcode for Ryzen (AGESA is the microcode) and will be releasing a new major update in the near future with AGESA 1.0.0.7.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

If you are familiar with the history of Ryzen, you know that it was rushed out by AMD before it was completely ready. What other reason for any basic problems over clocking would there be besides immature UEFI/BIOS versions with incomplete CPU microcode and UEFI code to match?

If you check some of the almost 500 user reviews of this board at Newegg, you won't find any consistent issue with over clocking. Plus the overall rating for this board is five stars. I normally don't go by Newegg reviews, but with that many it must mean something.

Do you believe using the Auto VCore mode will fix any over clocking problem because one person said that in this thread? It can help, by applying a higher than necessary VCore, but disabling the Auto VCore setting is the first thing any experienced person doing an OC does.

3.8GHz is a high OC relative to Ryzen processors. 400MHz over the max Turbo frequency is a dream for 1700/1700X and 1800/1800X users on X370 boards.

Please update to the 3.20 UEFI before we continue trying to help you. Please use the Instant Flash UEFI update method, it is the most reliable. Please perform the update with stock settings in the UEFI.

I'm always hesitant to update the UEFI because of the possibility of bricking (not that it's likely), as well as the occasional issues reported. That being said- does the instant flash route require incremental updates? i.e. 2.6 > 3.0 > 3.2, or can I go from 2.6 > 3.2?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 5:53am
No, you do not need to incrementally update, just grab the latest version and update.

Any situation where you need to update incrementally will be outlined on the BIOS download page, it is rare for it to be required and typically only happens on generational updates (like intel sandy bridge upgrading to ivy bridge).
Zach1928 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach1928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:56pm
[URL=][/URL]
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

No, you do not need to incrementally update, just grab the latest version and update.

Any situation where you need to update incrementally will be outlined on the BIOS download page, it is rare for it to be required and typically only happens on generational updates (like intel sandy bridge upgrading to ivy bridge).

Good to know. Does ASRock post MD5s anywhere?

I got: MD5: 6bc874846de01294b256a1f6b5605f6e
        SHA1: b4c14c16ceba19762ccdb210e130356779dce280
   SHA256: 6a485fa29b3bd548b76a7855947e57b0a25c32d3952e344a67520d04776b2895

Edited by Zach1928 - 26 Oct 2017 at 9:30pm
efm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 11:24am
[URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

i had a similar thing the other week on an msi b350
setting 3.8 ghz and then dialing in a 1.35volt resulted in dead pc until cmos reset

I have a similar problem, except I can't get the CMOS to reset.

Ryzen 1700. b350 Pro4. Bios 3.00. The board is a couple weeks old.
3.5ghz @ stock (1.18?) volts, booted into Windows fine.
3.7ghz @ 1.2v (1.225? I don't remember) volts, booted into Windows fine.
3.9ghz @ 1.225v (1.25?) volts, the CPU fan did a couple reboots like it didn't like that setting, so I figured it would drop me back to stock, but then when it booted, there's no monitor output, and apparently it doesn't post now.

Reset the CMOS, right?
Disconnected the power cable, used CMOS jumper.
Took out battery. Let sit overnight.
Held power button for 30 seconds.
etc. All sorts of combinations of that. It won't post. Or if it's posting, I can't see it on the monitor.

If I remove the memory, the CPU fan reboots every 30 seconds, so I know the board is looking for memory.

I put my video card into a different computer to make sure that didn't somehow fry. Still works great.

It's hard to believe I fried a CPU with 1.25v during 20 seconds of rebooting and a big 120mm cooler on it.
Maybe the bios is corrupted, but if that was it, I wouldn't expect the board to boot loop every 30 seconds if I remove the memory.

Edited by efm - 30 Oct 2017 at 11:26am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 6:22pm
1.25 just cannot fry the cpu

left in auto/stock it volts ITSELF UP TO 1.5 at times

it does look like an issue with the board if im honest
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic