ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ab350 Gaming K4, can't reach 3200Mhz on DDR4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StIwY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ab350 Gaming K4, can't reach 3200Mhz on DDR4
    Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 12:48am
Hello, i just changed my motherboard, but i kept same CPU and same 2x8gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LED 3200mhz.

I was able to put them at @ 3200Mhz on my Asus C6H enabling XMP, now i can't go over @ 2800, or i will get bootloop and BIOS will switch back to 2133mhz. 

I already tried to raise VDDP, voltage DRAM voltage, CL16 to CL17, but nothing changes, same behaviour.

I thought with latest BIOS 3.20 there were no problems at all.....seems like i was wrong.

Will Asrock, release a better BIOS in the future or i just have to give up and change again motherboard ?

Edited by StIwY - 16 Sep 2017 at 12:56am
StIwY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StIwY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 12:56am
No replies ? All right seems like i have to change my RAm sticks, and spend again money.

This is unbeliavable i mean, Ryzen came out on March, we are on mid September, and AMD and maufacturers of motherboards still have not solved all these problems. Perhaps i'm gonna sell everything and get an Intel platform, i'm getting sick of this situation......

Edited by StIwY - 17 Sep 2017 at 1:19am
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 7:21pm
Anything above 2666 MHz is an overclock in RAM speed and there's never any guarantee you will hit the same OC with a different motherboard, even if you have the same CPU and RAM modules. There's also no guarantee that buying another set of RAM modules will get you to 3200 MHz, not even if you buy modules that the motherboard's memory qvl lists as being able to reach those speeds. It's debatable whether not reaching those speeds counts as a problem, since the max stock speed for the CPUs IMC is 2666 MHz. If you couldn't reach 2666 MHz, that would certainly count as a problem, but that's not the case here.

I can understand the frustration since benchmarks like fast RAM with Ryzen, but especially if you have something like a GTX 1060, it's highly unlikely you will notice any real differences in gaming as long as you can reach max stock speeds. And ff you have a GTX 1080, you're probably reaching very good FPS figures anyways and the differences become mostly about bragging rights. Buying new RAM modules or a new motherboard is an expensive gamble and changing the platform altogether might be costly still, so my advice would be to stick with 2800 MHz, wait for possible BIOS updates - at least for a while - and see if you feel the performance is lacking in your normal use. You can even downclock the RAM to see whether that makes any difference. If not, the same will probably be true for faster RAM.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
StIwY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StIwY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 10:10pm
I'm going to change RAM i already ordered sopme Gskill Flare X which are Ryzen certified, and i will check them out tomorrow. As you said Ryzen is thirsty of RAM bandwidth, and it's noticeable also on games.

Also, AMD promised to us to reduce the RAM latency to 65 ms, more or less, still no updated about this. That's why i'm getting frustrated. I learned a lesson, i'll never buy a new platform at launch day again in the future, that's for sure.

Edited by StIwY - 19 Sep 2017 at 10:12pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 10:19pm
With Ryzen memory over clocks, you must increase the SOC voltage from the stock 0.900V to 1.100V+.

You did not say if you increased the SOC voltage or not in your first post.

StIwY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StIwY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 4:20pm
I can't find on my Gaming K4 the Vsoc voltage. 

It's the VDDP ?

Edited by StIwY - 20 Sep 2017 at 4:51pm
StIwY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StIwY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 3:50pm
Tried the Gskill Flare X 3200-CL14, same behaviour. I can reach max 2800mhz.

Plus this motherboard lacks of VSOC core, i can't find it anywhere in the BIOS 3.20. GG ASrock.

Consider my account closed, i'm done Selling this mobo for an MSI Pro Carbon. So long, Asrock.

Edited by StIwY - 22 Sep 2017 at 9:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic