ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I may have flashed my BIOS incorrectly: need help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

I may have flashed my BIOS incorrectly: need help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coldblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I may have flashed my BIOS incorrectly: need help
    Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 4:45am
Hi,

I just finished my first build yesterday and I am using the x370 KILLER SLI/ac board. While running a few initial tests I noticed that my RAM was not running at the prescribed speed, so I decided to update my BIOS. I just downloaded the windows version of update 3.20, since at that time I didn't know that instant flash was the preferred method. When I tried running the ASRock exe inside the downloaded folder, I got a message that a minimum BIOS version is required and I should first update to P3.00.

Instead of looking for more info, I just looked around the other folders inside the download and flashed the BIOS in the ROM folder using the afuwinguix64 utility. And now I think that might have been a huge mistake. I have not restarted my computer hearing all the horror stories of bricking motherboards. I am a nervous wreck right now, please tell me how bad this is and can I do something about it. For all I know, this method might have been perfectly fine but I don't want to power off my system until I have made sure it will restart.

Edited by Coldblade - 16 Sep 2017 at 4:47am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 5:33am
Coldblade, sorry I do not have an answer for you but mainly questions and comments.
What BIOS level did you originally have?  If you did not look, it may be on a sticker on the BIOS chip.  I know nothing about that utility, but did you get any messages when you ran it?  If so, please  tell what, especially if you got any error messages.  Please DL a copy of CPU-Z and use the Mainboard tab to see what your current BIOS version.  Even if you have to power down and cannot boot, your MB is not dead meat.  The BIOS chip is plugged into a socket and you can buy a new one with the BIOS version you request.  ASRock will certainly fix your BIOS but I have not knowledge of this (process, cost, etc).  You have NOT lost your investment.  Hope you can relax a little.  Good luck and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 5:38am
i really wish motherboard makers
WOULD STOP BLOODY ISSUING WINDOWS BIOS FLASH VERSIONS

as for the op

clinch you butt and try the reboot
i would advise downloading the usb instant flash first and have it in the usb slot
hit f6 at first chance of pc starting

[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Coldblade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coldblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 5:52am
I did not check the BIOS version originally on my motherboard. I don't see any stickers with the version as well. That utility came in the windows flash zipped folder, along with a .ROM file. I didn't get any error messages. Googling it gives the following links:
https://ami.com/en/products/bios-uefi-tools-and-utilities/bios-uefi-utilities/
http://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSUI.asp?cat=Windows3

It just wrote on the blocks you can see in this picture and the verified them. CPU-Z shows that I have BIOS version 2.40 on my board.

Also, thanks for assuring me Smile
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 5:54am
its not your fault (ish)

i really thought asrock had stopped this silly and foolish windows flashing ability
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Coldblade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coldblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 5:54am
As for the reboot, I might wait a bit longer to see if I can get some more help. In case I attempt the usb instant flash, can I have multiple versions on it?
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 7:32am
Coldblade, I have all the BIOS versions on my USB stick and it always picks the latest.  I guess there is a way to pick an earlier, if you like.  If you got no error messages and did see this screen:

Then I would say you are OK.  Go ahead and restart, tap F2 to enter BIOS, then hit F9 to Load UEFI Defaults.  Clinch as datonyb suggested.  Please let us hear.  Good luck and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 9:53am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

i really wish motherboard makers
WOULD STOP BLOODY ISSUING WINDOWS BIOS FLASH VERSIONS

Hear Hear.

And I wish owners would stop using them too, recognizing the dangers.

Coldblade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coldblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 10:12am
Okay. So I rebooted and the worst happened. I don't get anything on my monitor. Cry

Is there anything I can do or is replacing the BIOS/MB the only option?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Coldblade Coldblade wrote:

Okay. So I rebooted and the worst happened. I don't get anything on my monitor. Cry

Is there anything I can do or is replacing the BIOS/MB the only option?

If you can't get anything on the monitor, then you are probably out of luck. You usually should not do this right after a UEFI/BIOS update, but you could clear the UEFI/CMOS, and see if you get a signal to the monitor. If you do then do the Instant Flash update method, exactly and ONLY as the instructions tell you to.

Earlier ASRock boards had replaceable UEFI/BIOS chips, but those types of chips are no longer available, the chip in your board are soldered in place.

Sorry to say, what you did with the Windows BIOS update download files was just plain wrong. No clue what the result will be, but it won't be good. Seems to be the case, sorry to say.

The latest Windows UEFI/BIOS version actually starts an AMI firmware update utility, and then runs Instant Flash. So it may not be as prone to errors as the earlier Windows versions were. But that won't help you now.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic