ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - AB350M Pro4 Ryzen 1600 stock mhz freezing [SOLVED]
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAB350M Pro4 Ryzen 1600 stock mhz freezing [SOLVED]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350M Pro4 Ryzen 1600 stock mhz freezing [SOLVED]
    Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 5:24am
[URL=][/URL]I've got a new build that I'm trying to get going and it's been driving me to tears trying to get it stable.   Details of the system are:

Asrock AB350M Pro 4 motherboard, current 3.10 bios
Ryzen 5 1600 CPU
G Skill DDR4 2400 memory, 2 x 8GB
Intel SSDSCKJW360H601 M.2 2280 360 GB SATA 6Gb/s Internal SSD
Seasonic Focus 550 FX Gold PSU
Windows 10 Pro - clean install
GeForce GTX 1050 fails, old Radeon 4650 seems to do okay.

Long story short is that it will freeze after booting into windows after about 5 minutes. No hard drive light or anything, but screen does stay on frozen. Running stock speed. No overclocking.

Have tried changing power supplies and stability seems better with Seasonsic, which I purchased new to see if PSU was problem.

Have ran single sticks of ram and neither stick is anymore stable than the other.

A big thing that I noticed that DOES help is if I run my old Radeon 4650 graphics card instead of the new GTX 1050.   GTX is pcie powered, no 6 pin hookup.   I also have an older GTX 750 ti (also pcie powered) and it is just as unstable as the 1050.

Have boosted CPU voltage ever so slightly to 2.4V.   Have disabled Cool N Quiet and C6 power saving.   Ram timings are 16-16-16-36.

Is this possibly something with the motherboard where something with the power distribution system isn't correct? At this point it seems like it's either my motherboard or the CPU.   Even though video card seems to be the thing I can change to make it stable, I find it hard to believe that both the GTX 750ti and 1050 are both bad.    Long term though I'd like to run with something a little more powerful than a Radeon 4650.   ;)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: Turned out that the CPU was bad.  RMA'd it, changed it out, and my problems are gone,  Litttle frustrated at the time and money (replacing other components and reinstall OS) that I had to spend to get this square away.  AMD was good about the exchange when it got to that point, but going through everything to get to that point was a pain.

Edited by Big Al - 22 Oct 2017 at 8:20pm
MisterJ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 5:50am
Big Al, I had a similar problem with previous build (X370 FAT1 Pro) and it required a MB RMA.  The problem was that one of the two memory channels (two memory slots) was bad.  I chased it down by placing one memory stick in A1, then A2, B1 and B2.  Mine failed on A1 and A2.  A new board fixed it.  This well may not be your problem but it is worth running the experiment.  Good luck and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
Big Al View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 9:06am
Thanks. I'll change the MB and see if that fixes things. Was they way I was leaning.   Have pretty much changed everything but the processor and MB so if not anything else it will help me narrow things down. Haven't tried putting the memory in didn't slots though. Has always been A2 or A2/B2 because that's what the manual indicates.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Big Al Big Al wrote:

[URL=][/URL]I've got a new build that I'm trying to get going and it's been driving me to tears trying to get it stable.   Details of the system are:

Asrock AB350M Pro 4 motherboard, current 3.10 bios
Ryzen 5 1600 CPU
G Skill DDR4 2400 memory, 2 x 8GB
Intel SSDSCKJW360H601 M.2 2280 360 GB SATA 6Gb/s Internal SSD
Seasonic Focus 550 FX Gold PSU
Windows 10 Pro - clean install
GeForce GTX 1050 fails, old Radeon 4650 seems to do okay.

Long story short is that it will freeze after booting into windows after about 5 minutes. No hard drive light or anything, but screen does stay on frozen. Running stock speed. No overclocking.

Have tried changing power supplies and stability seems better with Seasonsic, which I purchased new to see if PSU was problem.

Have ran single sticks of ram and neither stick is anymore stable than the other.

A big thing that I noticed that DOES help is if I run my old Radeon 4650 graphics card instead of the new GTX 1050.   GTX is pcie powered, no 6 pin hookup.   I also have an older GTX 750 ti (also pcie powered) and it is just as unstable as the 1050.

Have boosted CPU voltage ever so slightly to 2.4V.   Have disabled Cool N Quiet and C6 power saving.   Ram timings are 16-16-16-36.

Is this possibly something with the motherboard where something with the power distribution system isn't correct? At this point it seems like it's either my motherboard or the CPU.   Even though video card seems to be the thing I can change to make it stable, I find it hard to believe that both the GTX 750ti and 1050 are both bad.    Long term though I'd like to run with something a little more powerful than a Radeon 4650.   ;)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I hope that is a typo, and you don't have the CPU VCore at 2.4V, which I doubt you could even set to that level. For the stock CPU speed, 1.4V will be more than enough.

What do you mean it helps to use the old graphics card? Do you mean the time it takes, or the incidence of freezing, is reduced? Or something else?

I assume you are using the PCIE2 slot, the x16 slot closest to the CPU?

What is the full model number of your memory?

Have you installed the video driver yourself? Windows 10 will install video drivers by itself, and caused problems in my experience. Also, each video card must have had the old video driver uninstalled before installing the new video card and its driver, and the UEFI/BIOS should have been cleared with the jumper on the board.

Did you install the AMD chipset drivers?

It seems unlikely that a modern video card of the models you listed would overheat, but given the time period before the freeze, have you ever checked the temperature of the video cards? No idea what kind of PC case you are using, or the chassis fan number and configuration, or CPU cooler.

The Seasonic PSU should be good, and that it seemed to help with "stability" may be a clue to the problem. I would check the connection of the 24 pin ATX power connector to the board. Also, be sure the video card is fully seated in the slot, and the locking tab is closed on the PCIe slot. For a PCIe slot powered card, that is important.

Did you check the Windows Event log for any clues about the freezing?

I use a different ASRock X370 board, with a GTX 1060, with a Seasonic 660W Gold PSU, and 1700X. I have CnQ and C6 enabled, and have never had a freezing problem.

Big Al View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 11:51am
Whoops. Yes, typo on the voltage. Stock is 1.2375 and I have it set to 1.2475.   

Memory is:   G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) AMD X370 / B350 / A320 Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-2400C15D-16GFXR

Video card isn't getting hot. Using a Fractal Design MicroATX Case (FD-CA-FOCUS-MINI-BK-W) which I really like.   Anyway, card isn't booted up long enough to get hot.   When I say older graphics card it's one out of an older PC I have sitting around, Radeon 4650 which came out in 2008.   It's still a 16x pcie card though.   The card is installed next to the CPU cooler as you mentioned.

Power connections have been reseated a couple of times along with even the CPU and DRAM.

Event log doesn't show anything but unexpected shutdown, which is me hitting the reset button to restart things. When it freezes it completely freezes and even the SSD activity light doesn't come on.

AMD chipset drivers have been installed and everything in the device manager is clean. At one time I did have the Nvidia drivers installed, but it looks like I must have uninstalled them at some point.   I'll have to load those again and see if that helps.   
nangu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 12:22pm
I understand your system doesn't freeze with the Radeon card installed, is it right?

If so, your system freezes with both nVidia cards. I would chase the problem by reinstalling the latest nvidia drivers (only drivers, do not install Geforce experience for now)

Load defaults in UEFI or clear cmos and boot to windows all stock, uninstall nVidia drivers, reboot, and install the latest from nVidia's webpage. 
R7 1700 @3.90 1.25v - GSkill TridentZ 3200c16 Hynix MFR @2933 14-16-16-32 - Fatal1ty Gaming X370 K4 - Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 - WD 256 Black M2 Nvme as Windows 10 boot drive - EVGA Gold 650W
Big Al View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 11:02pm
nangu. Thanks for the information. Unfortunately over the night the Radeon system also crashed, so I'm gonna get a new mother board coming. It seems to act up as much when the system is sitting idle and it does under load, so I can only hope the new MB will fix it. The logs do have a little information, but nothing definitive. I do get the USB warning listed below once in a while, but this is a warning and from I can tell from browsing the internet isn't unusual.   Maybe that says something about the MB also. I've attached errors and warnings from the event log. The ERROR event was automatically logged at around 4:15 AM and going back to look at what's happening at around 3:44 AM shows nothing.

WARNING: The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_SM#xD-Picture&Rev_0.00#00000000000006&4#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}.

ERROR: The previous system shutdown at 3:44:18 AM on ??/??7/??017 was unexpected.
Big Al View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 9:48am
I got the motherboard replaced and it's been running solid for almost 48 hours (here's to hoping that I don't jinx it) so it looks like it was the motherboard that was bad.   
Cantine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:54am
Did you use ? different mobo or the same model? I have the same issue with mine...
Big Al View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:18pm
Same motherboard.  Asrock AB350M Pro4.   And it has actually been freezing on me again recently, so my problems are not completely fixed.   One thing that does appear to prevent it from freezing is if I change my Display Adapter drivers to the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" drivers instead of the Nvidia ones.  System doesn't run quite as smooth but it also doesn't seem to crash.    I'd be curious to hear how that works for you if you change the drivers.   I've done the full blown re-install of the nvidia drivers (uninstall, DDU, safe mode, etc.) and that doesn't help at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic