ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 Extreme6 - possible physical damage?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pianoplayer88key Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97 Extreme6 - possible physical damage?
    Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 2:39pm
Hi all.< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">

I recently found that a part on my ASRock Z97 Extreme6 might have sustained physical trauma.  I'd had the side panel off my case cause I was swapping hard drives & SSDs in and out a lot (doing backups / reorganization and things), then had to leave for some reason.  (I did power off the system before I left.)

When I returned, I saw this.  Someone had pushed my piano bench into the computer, touching the back of the motherboard. (Yes, I'm using my piano as a computer desk for that computer.  Right now I'm typing this on my laptop.)

Upon closer inspection, I see this.t is that looks like it broke off?  What is its purpose?  Is it critical to the safe operation of the system?  (I'm guessing it's fairly important, as I believe the VRMs are right there.)

Here's another somewhat zoomed out pic, without the piano bench, to get an idea of where it is.  It's the upper of the 3 clusters of parts to the right of the CPU socket, where the issue is.

I haven't attempted to power on the system since it happened the other day, as I'm not 100% sure that I won't kill my CPU or something else by attempting to turn it on.  (As I mentioned, the system was off when the incident occurred.)

Might it be possible to replace that part (assuming I could steady my hands and solder a replacement on), or do I need to be looking at getting a new board?  I bought the board in January 2015, so I'm pretty sure it's out of warranty already (not that what happened would be covered anyway).

If I went with something new, I might consider either another LGA1150 board (I wasn't planning to get a new one until like 2020-2022 anyway), or I might go AM4 and Ryzen 7.  (Threadripper/Epyc would be nice, but is a bit of a stretch for the wallet.  That (or similar) what I probably WOULD have upgraded too though had I waited until 2020+.)
(I also have an orphaned i3-6100, but if I built around that, it'd probably be a NAS.  I have like 18 3.5" hard drives (80GB to 8TB) or so, last I counted.  But then maybe the NAS would be better suited with an LGA771 / LGA1366 / LGA2011 Xeon setup.)

EDITED by wardog, Moderator, to display pics.

FYI: OP, only file names ending in pic format, jpg jpeg, tiff etc can be used.

Edited by wardog - 18 Sep 2017 at 3:40pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 3:39pm
That's not good. Not good at all.

If, IF, you might find it in the carpeting it could be soldered back in place.

But, BUT, your Uncle the Handyman, DO NOT let him do it. It takes skill and know how with a homeowners gun, OR, preferably a low volt low temp soldering station and someone with SMD experience.

A Computer Repair shop or even a CB/HAM Radio Repair shop could.

Otherwise, I predict a new mothedrboard is in your near future. Sorry to say.

OH!, the part is either a capacitor or resister.
pianoplayer88key View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pianoplayer88key Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

That's not good. Not good at all.
< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">

Yeah, that's what I was thinking - something fairly critical for operation.  My dad is 71 now, and while he's had more experience with soldering than I've been alive probably, it's mostly on older technology.

I'm thinking, chances are the computer repair shop would probably charge almost as much for a new board for the labor.

As for a new board, some options I'm considering include:
  • X370 Taichi - plus R7-1700X and RAM (idk if my 212 Evo would work natively on AM4?  maybe I'd need a bracket.)
  • C236 WSI - if I add my orphaned i3-6100 to it and build a NAS in like a Fractal Design Node 804
  • maybe finding an LGA1150 board and reusing my existing CPU & RAM (but I'm not too crazy about this idea - I don't want to get a refurbished / used board unless I'm putting ebay-sourced Xeons in it, and I think new LGA1150 boards are getting hard if not impossible to find.)

I don't want to try it (just in case doing so would kill something else that was spared death because the system wasn't running at the time), but what might happen if I attempted to power on the system in its current state?

If I didn't mention earlier, it has an i7-4790K running at stock, and 32GB DDR4-1600 G.Skill Ares RAM.  Also a 3GB GTX 1060, & ~18 hard drives (but of course not all connected because too few ports).  PSU is a Corsair AX760 which I plan to keep, and case is a Rosewill Thor V2 (considering replacing with a FD Define R5, exploring other options as well).
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by pianoplayer88key pianoplayer88key wrote:

I don't want to try it (just in case doing so would kill something else that was spared death because the system wasn't running at the time), but what might happen if I attempted to power on the system in its current state?

If I didn't mention earlier, it has an i7-4790K running at stock, and 32GB DDR4-1600 G.Skill Ares RAM.  Also a 3GB GTX 1060, & ~18 hard drives (but of course not all connected because too few ports).  PSU is a Corsair AX760 which I plan to keep, and case is a Rosewill Thor V2 (considering replacing with a FD Define R5, exploring other options as well).

Just Say No.

No No No

You might risk, I dunno, all those other parts you just listed.

Did you find the cap or res that got chipped off?

If you're lucky and it's still in one piece you might try yourself with a low wattage iron. But take everything, EVERYTHING, off the motherboard before doing so.
pianoplayer88key View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pianoplayer88key Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

You might risk, I dunno, all those other parts you just listed.
< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">

That's what I'm thinking.  Also, if I'm gonna be taking everything off the board anyway, I probably may as well just get a new board.

I looked briefly, but the carpet is not exactly "thin".  (My thumbnail sinks entirely into the carpet when I press down in that area.)  I presume there's a better chance of ASRock giving everyone on earth a free EP2C622D24LM or Fatal1ty X399, than me finding that part. Tongue  And even if I was lucky and it fell inside the case, there aren't dust filters on the bottom vents right now.

Now I gotta decide what I want to replace it with .... AM4, TR4, LGA1151, LGA1150, LGA2011, LGA1366, LGA771 .... 
Leaning toward AM4 for now.  TR4 is a bit hard on budget, LGA1150 would only be for if I was keeping everything else, and the rest would be if I build a NAS.  (I do have my laptop I'm using for now, which is "okay" - i7-6700K (not HQ - yes it's LGA1151), 40GB RAM, 250+1050GB SSD, GTX 970M.)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic