ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

MoBo shuts off when CPU=70 deg. F

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhavalbbhatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MoBo shuts off when CPU=70 deg. F
    Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 9:20am
Hello all,
I have the Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X motherboard with AMD Ryzen 1700 CPU that I am trying to overclock to a modest 3.8GHz using 1.3V. I ran Cinebench R15 and it passes the initial test of enough voltage, so I start running AIDA64 extreme and the CPU temp gets to 70 degrees F and the motherboard shuts down. I have turned AMD Cool n' Quiet off but not sure where in the BIOS can I turn off the setting that allows me to run stability test to anything beyond 70 degrees F. I have it at 3.725GHz right now @ 1.275V and that is stable - ran AIDA64 for about 4 hours and the temps were consistent at 66 deg. F. I am sure this is not an issue with actual voltage for the CPU, if it was, I would have had a failure pretty early in the piece (I reach 70 deg. F at about 10 minutes in to the test, however, if the volts were not appropriate, the test would have returned an error in the first minute or so and would not have passed Cinebench R15 test as well).

At this point, I am just going to assume that the motherboard shuts down when the CPU temps hit 70 deg. F. - so the question is - how do I turn off that feature? I noticed on the HWMonitor tab in the BIOS that the very last entry is whether to turn off motherboard when the computer overheats - however, it is my belief that that pertains to motherboard/system temp and not CPU temps (the system temps are at 50 deg. F from looking at HWInfo) - is that accurate?

I am running BIOS version 3.10.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dhaval
Dhaval
Fatal1ty x370 Gaming X | Ryzen 1700 @ 3.725GHz/1.275v | GSkill Flare X 4x8GB OC @ 2667/1.275v | MSI GeForce1030 ITX 2GB | WD 256GB NVMe | Noctua NHD15AM4 | Win 10 | Ubuntu 17.04 | BIOS 3.10
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 9:49am
Originally posted by dhavalbbhatt dhavalbbhatt wrote:

Hello all,
I have the Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X motherboard with AMD Ryzen 1700 CPU that I am trying to overclock to a modest 3.8GHz using 1.3V. I ran Cinebench R15 and it passes the initial test of enough voltage, so I start running AIDA64 extreme and the CPU temp gets to 70 degrees F and the motherboard shuts down. I have turned AMD Cool n' Quiet off but not sure where in the BIOS can I turn off the setting that allows me to run stability test to anything beyond 70 degrees F. I have it at 3.725GHz right now @ 1.275V and that is stable - ran AIDA64 for about 4 hours and the temps were consistent at 66 deg. F. I am sure this is not an issue with actual voltage for the CPU, if it was, I would have had a failure pretty early in the piece (I reach 70 deg. F at about 10 minutes in to the test, however, if the volts were not appropriate, the test would have returned an error in the first minute or so and would not have passed Cinebench R15 test as well).

At this point, I am just going to assume that the motherboard shuts down when the CPU temps hit 70 deg. F. - so the question is - how do I turn off that feature? I noticed on the HWMonitor tab in the BIOS that the very last entry is whether to turn off motherboard when the computer overheats - however, it is my belief that that pertains to motherboard/system temp and not CPU temps (the system temps are at 50 deg. F from looking at HWInfo) - is that accurate?

Thanks,
Dhaval

The Over Temperature Protection option in the HW Monitoring screen must be for the CPU temperature. Every other ASRock board I have (many) have the same option in the HW Montoring Screen, and it is always for the CPU temperature. Why the description refers to the mother board overheating, I don't know, but IMO that makes no sense.

Regardless, this is easily tested. Simply disable that option, or increase the shut down temperature. If your system does not shutdown when the CPU is over 70C, you know it is for the CPU temperature. What else in your system is reaching 70C?

But I must say, assuming that it is monitoring the CPU temperature, do you believe you can safely allow your CPU to be above 70C? Do you know what the maximum safe temperature for a Ryzen 1700 is? I believe ASRock has it set to 70C for a reason.

What are you using for a CPU cooler?

If the "system temps", which I am not sure what you are referring to (mother board, X370 chipset, or what?) is at 50C, that is rather high for the board or chipset. That indicates IMO less than adequate cooling of your PC. I know it is warm in Texas, but since we know nothing about your CPU cooler, PC case and chassis fan configuration, a 50C board or chipset temperature is rather high.

dhavalbbhatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhavalbbhatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 10:43am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

The Over Temperature Protection option in the HW Monitoring screen must be for the CPU temperature. Every other ASRock board I have (many) have the same option in the HW Montoring Screen, and it is always for the CPU temperature. Why the description refers to the mother board overheating, I don't know, but IMO that makes no sense.

That helps - that is what I had assumed, but wanted to ask around before I started running my own tests! Thanks!

Regardless, this is easily tested. Simply disable that option, or increase the shut down temperature. If your system does not shutdown when the CPU is over 70C, you know it is for the CPU temperature. What else in your system is reaching 70C?

Nothing does.

But I must say, assuming that it is monitoring the CPU temperature, do you believe you can safely allow your CPU to be above 70C? Do you know what the maximum safe temperature for a Ryzen 1700 is? I believe ASRock has it set to 70C for a reason.

Ryzen's maximum operating temps are at 95C before they start to throttle. 

What are you using for a CPU cooler?

I am using Noctua NH D15 AM4 with both fans attached. The case is a full ATX case. 

If the "system temps", which I am not sure what you are referring to (mother board, X370 chipset, or what?) is at 50C, that is rather high for the board or chipset. That indicates IMO less than adequate cooling of your PC. I know it is warm in Texas, but since we know nothing about your CPU cooler, PC case and chassis fan configuration, a 50C board or chipset temperature is rather high.

You are right, 50C is high! I meant to write 30C and not 50C and did not check what I was writing. Sorry for that. I don't think this is a cooling issue, the idle temps for the CPU are at 28C

Thanks,
Dhaval

Dhaval
Fatal1ty x370 Gaming X | Ryzen 1700 @ 3.725GHz/1.275v | GSkill Flare X 4x8GB OC @ 2667/1.275v | MSI GeForce1030 ITX 2GB | WD 256GB NVMe | Noctua NHD15AM4 | Win 10 | Ubuntu 17.04 | BIOS 3.10
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 2:17pm
Dhaval,

Please list out your system specs, hardware wise.

Also, is this a freash OS install while on the Gaming X, or a carry over from your old MB?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhavalbbhatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Dhaval,

Please list out your system specs, hardware wise.

Motherboard: Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (OC stable at 3.725GHz @ 1.275v)
Cooler: Noctua NH D15 AM4
GPU: MSI GeFoirce GT1030 AERO ITX 2GB (no overclocking for the GPU)
RAM: Gskill Flare X DDR4-2133 (overclocked to 2667 at 1.275v) 32GB (4x8GB)
PSU: Rosewill Glacier Series 850W 80 Plus Bronze
SSD: WD 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe
Case: DIYPC Solo T1-R Midtower ATX
OS: Dual boot Windows 10 64-bit and Ubuntu 17.04 64-bit
BIOS: version 3.10

Also, is this a freash OS install while on the Gaming X, or a carry over from your old MB?

Yes, this is a fresh install of the OS.

Dhaval
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 10:36pm
What, if any, shows up in Event Viewer that may relate?

Shutting do is power or temp, usually. IMO 95% anyways.

I see NewEgg began selling that PSU back in early 2015. How old is yours, and maybe by chance does it behave this way when you load the whole system? IBT or SuperPi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhavalbbhatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 11:02pm

What, if any, shows up in Event Viewer that may relate?

Shutting do is power or temp, usually. IMO 95% anyways.

I see NewEgg began selling that PSU back in early 2015. How old is yours, and maybe by chance does it behave this way when you load the whole system? IBT or SuperPi

All components were new (bought in the last month) for this build - no component was re-used.

Prime95 exhibits the same behavior (i.e. reaches 70C and shuts down) which is why I am confident that this is a motherboard setting and nothing to do with whether the OC is unstable or not.
Dhaval
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by dhavalbbhatt dhavalbbhatt wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks,
Dhaval

Hi, What do you mean by shutdown? A Windows clean shutdown and power off, or the screen going black and a flashing "00" code shown on Dr. Debug leds on motherboard?

If the latter, disable monitoring from AIDA, use it only for stress testing and install HWinfo64 for monitoring. For some reason AIDA64 corrupts UEFI CPU temp readings, your fan profile doesn't work anymore, and I suspect thats the reason for the shutdown.

It happened to my X370 K4, and recently other user has posted the same behaviour on his Taichi on other forum.

If after that the problem persists, may be it's a "not enough voltage at load" problem I suspect. Set LLC to 4 or 3 and test again, or add a bit of Vcore if LLC is not an option on your system.

I've seen temps around the 85ºC mark on my system for the CPU when stress testing on air, so I think the shutdown temp thresold is not your problem.

Cheers.
R7 1700 @3.90 1.25v - GSkill TridentZ 3200c16 Hynix MFR @2933 14-16-16-32 - Fatal1ty Gaming X370 K4 - Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 - WD 256 Black M2 Nvme as Windows 10 boot drive - EVGA Gold 650W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhavalbbhatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 1:58am
Originally posted by nangu nangu wrote:

Hi, What do you mean by shutdown? A Windows clean shutdown and power off, or the screen going black and a flashing "00" code shown on Dr. Debug leds on motherboard?

This is not a clean Windows shut down - this is similar to when I have been stress testing the CPU during overclocking. I haven't looked at Dr. Debug to see what it says. But this behavior is consistent between many different programs - as soon as it hits 70C, the computer shuts down involuntarily.

If the latter, disable monitoring from AIDA, use it only for stress testing and install HWinfo64 for monitoring. For some reason AIDA64 corrupts UEFI CPU temp readings, your fan profile doesn't work anymore, and I suspect thats the reason for the shutdown.
I use HWInfo for temp and other system sensor readings.

If after that the problem persists, may be it's a "not enough voltage at load" problem I suspect. Set LLC to 4 or 3 and test again, or add a bit of Vcore if LLC is not an option on your system.

I doubt if that is the case. If that were the case, I would see a quick failure in Prime95 (within the first 10-15 minutes) and Cinebench. I believe the voltage is sufficient for the load that I am trying to put on the CPU. I can still check and ensure that is not the case by increasing the voltage.

I've seen temps around the 85ºC mark on my system for the CPU when stress testing on air, so I think the shutdown temp thresold is not your problem.

Cheers.

I will be turning off the threshold under HWMonitor and see if that works or not. I agree, I should get the CPU stable at around 75C without any issues with what I am trying to do.

Dhaval

Dhaval
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 2:13am
So yes, the pattern here seems to be some temperature threshold then.

Did you check your VRM temps while stress testing?

On my system, Cinebench ran ok four times in a row, only to crash later after 30 mins of Prime95, so I don't discard the voltage to the CPU. May be your system experiences more vdroop when the VRMs become hotter?
R7 1700 @3.90 1.25v - GSkill TridentZ 3200c16 Hynix MFR @2933 14-16-16-32 - Fatal1ty Gaming X370 K4 - Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 - WD 256 Black M2 Nvme as Windows 10 boot drive - EVGA Gold 650W
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic