ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock x399 Taichi M.2 NVMe SSD RAID?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 12:01am
free-eagle, looks great, but please add your BIOS and W10 versions and it's complete.  What do you mean by
Quote When i load the F6 Drivers all Reboots and shutdowns of windows 10 fail.
If you are doing this after installing W10, please stop and see if things work better.  I think you should need these drivers only to see the RAID for install.  When you set CSM disabled, please reboot before the next step to make sure CMS is disabled.  I am kinda grasping at straws and hoping to get a response to my request to AMD for a complete installation manual.  I think we need to muddle along as best possible right now.  AMD says W10 needs to be install with CSM disabled.  Maybe try running with it enabled after install and see if that helps.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
free-eagle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote free-eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 2:15pm
Ok MisterJ Signature Update is online :-)
I have made some more Tests with a fresh Installation of Windows 10.
Building the Raid is no Problem, CSM is disabled.
When i load the F6 Drivers all Reboots and shutdowns of windows 10 fail.
I killed all Arrays installed Windows on a single SSD, installed the 17.50 Chipset Drivers and everything is fine. When i now create the NVME Raid0 with the other SSDĀ“s the same problem with reboot and shutdown occur.

X399 Taichi (Bios 2.0), TR 1920X, 32 GB GSKILL F4-3600C16D-16GTZSW, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB (RAID 0),Crucial 1 TB SSD, 2x 4TB Seagate HDD (RAID 1), Zotac 1080TI AMP Extreme, Windows 10 Pro (1709)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 9:55am
I wish I could help you all more that I can, but I'm working without an X399 board. A shame since I have Optane SSDs I could experiment with.

I will review the few things that I can here, and my apologies in advance since you said you have done some or all of these things already, particularly to Franz01234. I'm not sure about one or two steps, which I'll explain below.

In the UEFI/BIOS, version 1.70 installed:

Advanced\Storage Configuration screen: Set the "SATA Mode" to RAID.

Advanced\AMD PBS screen: Find the NVMe RAID mode option and set it to Enabled.

After those two steps, you must Save and Exit the UEFI, and then go right back in again.

In the Boot screen, CSM option, set Launch Storage OpROM Policy to UEFI Only. In my experience, whenever configuring the CSM option, you must Save and Exit the UEFI for it to be applied, which makes sense IMO. So Save and Exit the UEFI once again, and then go right back in again.

Do NOT ignore the restart steps, they are critical for these changes to be applied.

After this, you now are at the point where you should be able to use the Select Physical Disk, or close to it. You will probably need to Initialize each disk before you can use the Select Physical Disk option, since you have already formatted them in Windows. Or as MisterJ said, delete each disk, which AMD RAID calls a RAID disk or array, while it isn't from our point of view. Then Initialize the disks if possible, and then Create Legacy Disk before using Select Physical Disk, and finally creating the RAID array.

Always remember that you must maintain these UEFI settings at all times, or the RAID arrays will at best not work, or at worst fail beyond recovery. That means after every UEFI update or UEFI clear or Load Defaults, you MUST restore all the NMVe RAID settings BEFORE you try to boot into Windows.

About installing Windows on a single Optane SSD in general, Optane SSDs require full UEFI booting, which means CSM set to Disabled. When CSM is set to Disabled, the Launch Storage OpROM Policy option is set to UEFI Only, so that should work with AMD NVMe RAID too. When you then boot the Windows 10 installation media, you must select the entry in the boot order that is, "UEFI: <device name>", where device name is the USB installation drive. Otherwise you will not get a full UEFI booting Windows installation.

Just for your information, on my ASRock Z270 board with the three Optane SSD RAID 0 array, none of the Optane drives are shown in the Storage Configuration screen, in the M.2 slot entries. ASRock Intel chipset boards have a tool in the UEFI called System Browser, that displays the hardware in every PCIe slot, M.2 slot, SATA port, etc. None of the Optane SSDs are shown in that screen either. Otherwise, I would see NVMe SSDs like a 960 EVO displayed on that screen. The ONLY place I can see the Optane SSDs in the UEFI is the Intel RAID utility built into the UEFI.

My Optane RAID 0 array is the Windows drive/volume on the Z270 PC, so they can work as an OS drive. My one concern about using Optane SSDs with an AMD X399 NVMe system is, the UEFI does not have the Intel RAID Storage Option ROM included in it. It does have the AMD RAID Storage Option ROM. All the ASRock Z270 boards have a UEFI update for Optane support, which is no doubt the Intel Storage Option ROM that includes Optane support. That is for the standard use of Optane SSDs, which is as storage accelerator drives, which is a special type of RAID array. Whether or not an Optane SSD can work without the Intel Storage OpROM as a standalone drive, I don't know. I could test that on my Ryzen X370 PC, which unfortunately is being moved to a new PC case, so not working currently.

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 4:43am
Franz01234, you are very welcome.  Thank you for your work.  With no real instructions, this it the only way we have of learning.  I looked at my BIOS and see no offline drives.  My Create Array is greyed out.  I think this is normal.  It looks like Delete Array is not greyed out in your screenshot.  Please click Delete Array and see if you get a selection list.  When I do, I get a pull down list of all my disks.  If your Optane SSDs show up here, please select one and see if you can delete it.  None of this makes much sense since you do not have an array, but that seems how it works.  I deleted one of my disks after making sure I had a good backup and the delete cleaned the disk.  If this works, do all three of your SSDs (be careful not to clean a disk with needed data), then see if Create Array is not greyed out and try creating one.   Thanks for your help.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
Franz01234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Franz01234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 2:58am
Thank you for your time John.

This is the screenshot you requested. It is the array management folder. As you can see I have no array at the time and I can not create a new array because that option is greyed out.

This behaves like there is no ssd attached, but when I go to controller info tab, it clearly shows the drive. It also shows there are currently 3 ssds plugged in but array count is 0. It also shows driver and firmware are up to date.

Last pic is from disk management. It shows my 3 physical disks (the optane drives) under select physical disk, but when I try to initialize disk it tells me there are no legacy disks available to create a raid disk. Convert to legacy disk tells me there are no raid disks in the system.

Let me thank you again for looking at my problem.

Best regards Franz

Edited by Franz01234 - 20 Oct 2017 at 3:04am
System: Asrock Fatality X399 Professional UEFI_1.70, AMD TR 1900X, G.Skill RipJawsV 32GB F4-3200C14D-32GVK, Windows10 x64 Pro, RX Vega
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 1:57am
Thanks, Franz01234 for the screenshots.  Can you get the same one as I have shown above.  Your first one is a Rescan Disks and I have not seen that one.  I am real short on time now but will try to look later.  If you can see the equivalent screen as I show and your Optane SSDs show up, then Delete it (or all three) as a RAID even though it is not an array.  Will check back later.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
Franz01234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Franz01234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 1:08am
Thank you for your responses.
I think I set everything up correctly, but the uefi simply does not pick up the optane drives.
I set CSM oprom storage to uefi only, set sata mode to raid and enabled raid mode in amd pbs folder.
They are always shown as offline.

I suspect this is the reason why my array creation options are greyed out:

When I go to physical disk properties, this shows up:

Please note that I updated the firmware on one of the drives from K3110300 to K3110310 in hopes, it would solve my problems. It did change nothing for what I can tell.

I suspect it is a uefi problem because I can not boot from it even if I install Windows10 on one drive.
It does not recognise as a drive in uefi. (I had my other drives unplugged while testing out optane. All other drives show up here!)

These optane drives do however work flawless once windows is booted from my regular ssd.

Maybe the data in my screenshots helps with troubleshooting. I will contact Asrock support in hopes they will add optane ssd support by the time they issue their next uefi update.

Best regards, Franz
System: Asrock Fatality X399 Professional UEFI_1.70, AMD TR 1900X, G.Skill RipJawsV 32GB F4-3200C14D-32GVK, Windows10 x64 Pro, RX Vega
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 11:06pm
free-eagle, please post your system specifications as I have in my signature.  Hard to help you with so little information.  If you will look earlier in this thread, I think you will find a couple of users with success.  The RAID instructions are poor to non-existent at best.  I am trying to find an Installation Guide, so far with no luck.  If you did not disable CSM before installing W10, please do and reinstall W10 and please let us hear if it helps your problems.  CSM is Configuration Service Module and will mean your BIOS is set to UEFI only.  This is set in the BIOS and may tell you that booting USB sticks is not supported but I set it and booted my WinPE USB stick, no problem.  Hope to hear soon.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
free-eagle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote free-eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 3:05pm
I have another strange problem...
Building the NVME Raid 0 si no problem, installing Windows 10 (1703 or 1709) with the F6 Driver is also no problem but at every Reboot of Windows the system gets stuck before the Bios Screen. Only a Hard Reset brings the system back. Also windows shut down did not switch off the system.
Without NVME Raid everything is all right....
There is no other Hardware connected to the System except the Graphics Card and the USB Keyboard.
I think the Drivers are still Beta and under Development ?!?!
Has anybody created a NVME Raid yet and Windows 10 is Working normal ?

Edited by free-eagle - 20 Oct 2017 at 2:07pm
X399 Taichi (Bios 2.0), TR 1920X, 32 GB GSKILL F4-3600C16D-16GTZSW, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB (RAID 0),Crucial 1 TB SSD, 2x 4TB Seagate HDD (RAID 1), Zotac 1080TI AMP Extreme, Windows 10 Pro (1709)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Franz01234 Franz01234 wrote:

Hi

I have read through this Thread, but nvme raid still does not work for me.
Following the guide step by step I arrived at the stage where I have to use the uefi version of raidxpert to create the nvme raid, but that is not possible for me.
I identified the possible problem, but I have no Idea how to fix it. The raidxpert uefi utility shows the m.2 nvme drives as "offline". I simply cannot create an array.

Now comes the troubling part. At first I thought in struck a 1 in a million chance to have all my drives DOA. But when I boot up my old windows install or the bootable usb stick I can see them and configue them completely fine. They only dont show up in uefi.

Hoping someone could help me, figuring out what is the problem with my setup.

My specs are in my signature, uefi version is 1.70, Drives are 32GB optane nvme modules.

I cannot tell you from experience whether or not you can use Intel Optane SSDs with AMD's X399 NVMe RAID. There might be something proprietary about Optane SSDs that does not cooperate with AMD's NVMe RAID implementation. They are not standard NVMe SSDs using NAND flash storage, but that should be transparent to the RAID implementation, since only the SSD controller in the SSD is the interface to the AMD RAID, etc. This does not in itself mean they cannot be used in AMD's NVMe RAID, but I'm not aware of any specific information about this either way.

Intel has very specific versions of their IRST RAID software to work with Optane SSDs, which are meant to be used as accelerator device caches for standard SATA HDDs and SSDs. I can tell you that I use three 32GB Optane SSDs in RAID 0, using Intel's IRST RAID software, on an ASRock Z270 mother board. Intel's and AMD's RAID implementations are different and not compatible or interchangeable.  Intel will tell us that these first Optane SSDs are only for use a caching device with SATA drives (which is a not any standard RAID type, but is created and used with Intel's IRST RAID software), but I have a functioning three Optane SSD RAID 0 array as my Windows 10 drive.

Describing how to create the RAID 0 array with Intel's RAID software would be worthless to you, since it is completely different than AMD's.

AMD's SATA RAID array creation is more complex than Intel's, and just jumping into creating an AMD NVMe RAID array with no experience or background will be a frustrating experience. It is far from a plug and play, few clicks and you're done process. I'm sorry but simply reading through this thread, while certainly useful, will not be near enough information to create an AMD NVMe RAID array. The AMD RAID Installation guide on your board's Manual page is the best documentation we have at this time, as well as the AMD RAIDXpert2 software download and manual page I linked to elsewhere in this thread. Yes these manuals are not an easy read, talk to AMD about that, it's their baby.

As I've lectured earlier, creating an NVMe RAID 0 array for the first time and then immediately attempting to install Windows 10 on it is asking for trouble, if you've never even installed Windows on a single, non-RAID NVMe SSD. If you are not comfortable with the RAID array creation process (meaning have done it multiple times), and have not had an NVMe RAID 0 array survive through multiple cold boots of the PC, and UEFI/BIOS clears and updates, then you really should not be using them, IMO.

Have you at least used Intel's RAID software in the past, to get a feel for what is involved in maintaining the settings in the UEFI/BIOS?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic