ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock x399 Taichi M.2 NVMe SSD RAID?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leesh0222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 6:16am
Thanks MisterJ for your reply.  Following your advice, I updated my signature to describe my system setup. 

So far I installed the new BIOS 1.70 and downloaded the Windows 10 NVMe RAID driver and RAIDXpert2. I also read the AMD RAID installation guide from AsRock. 

Unfortunately I got stuck in the first step of creating an RAID array using the BIOS. The description in the RAID installation guide looks different. For example, it says on page 10 "C. Set the Onboard RAID 3TB+ Unlocker option to <UEFI Mode For GPT Partition>." I cannot find the option on my computer. The installation guide says "E. Click <F11> to enter boot menu and select "Built-in EFI shell.". I cannot find the "Built-in EFI shell" option either.

I must be missing something simple, but I really couldn't figure it out. I look forward to hearing your advice and the report. Thank you.

Edited by leesh0222 - 05 Oct 2017 at 6:25am
X399 Taichi, Threadripper 1950X, 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB DDR4 3600, Windows 10 x64 Pro, Corsair HX1000i 1000W, NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2, Phanteks EVOLV.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 7:37am
leesh0222, I opened my BIOS and cannot find the "Built-in EFI shell" option either.  I suspect it is because I have not done steps A thru D.  I am not ready to go down this path right now.  Are you building a boot RAID?  I assume you are using some or all of the 960 SSDs.  If you have done A thru D and still do not see "Built-in EFI shell" option, then I will need to do some premature testing.  Let me know.  Please give me a screenshot of your boot screen (boot with F11).  Go to the boot screen, insert a FAT formatted USB drive and press F12.  Be sure to do C even if you will not have 3 TB RAID - looks like this gives you GPT mode which you must have.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I just realized that I have not updated to BIOS 1.70, so please try what I suggested and let me see any screenshots you think might be interesting.  I am not quite ready to update my BIOS.

Edited by MisterJ - 06 Oct 2017 at 5:37am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
leesh0222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote leesh0222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 9:06am
Hello MisterJ and others,

With the help of John at AsRock America support team, I could install Win 10 pro on 3 x Samsung 960 EVOs 1TB RAID 0 disk. (He is awesome!) The following is the instruction from him. 

Note: Taichi and Professional Gaming board steps are the same.

Please follow the steps below to try.

·       Boot to UEFI/BIOS.

·       Set the SATA mode to RAID in BIOS, Advanced, Storage Configuration.

·       (For M.2 NVME drive only) Set the NVMe RAID mode in BIOS, Advanced, AMD PBS, NVMe RAID mode [Enable].

·       Save and exit.

·       Enter BIOS again, Advanced, RAIDXpert2, Array Management, select Create Array to create the desired RAID 0,1 or 10 for drives on RAID configuration (select RAID level and select Physical Disk for drives that in RAID array). Note: Delete Array first before create new if Delete array is not grey out)

·       Save and exit.

Please Press F11 to bring boot device menu (see below image for sample).

Select the UEFI: Winows installation media disk

Begin install the Windows 10.

·       Install the SATA Floppy Image driver when Windows 10 installation is prompt.
Note for M.2 RAID: setup will shown the  drives on the list, ignore them.

·       Go ahead to browse for drivers.

·       It will prompted  ?�AMD RAID Bottom Device??  select and install.

·       However, the RAID drvies still not shown on the list. That?�s normal.

·       Browse the drivers again and select ?�AMD-RAID Controller ??to install.

·       After install that RAID drive will shown on the list.

·       Follow the Windows instlallation proceedures.

The driver can be download link below, unzip the driver and save on USB flash drive.

Drivers download link :

AMD RAID driver ver:9.00.00.088 is for M.2 RAID driver.

(Note: The driver requires to P1.70 or later version BIOS.)
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X399%20Professional%20Gaming/index.us.asp#osW1064

Edited by leesh0222 - 05 Oct 2017 at 9:07am
X399 Taichi, Threadripper 1950X, 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB DDR4 3600, Windows 10 x64 Pro, Corsair HX1000i 1000W, NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2, Phanteks EVOLV.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 11:53pm
Thanks much, leesh0222.  This is the conclusion I was coming to - the RAID Installation Guide was less than bad, it is just plain wrong!  I hope a Moderator will post this as a sticky.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
dataminion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dataminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 4:08am
So, I followed all instructions to create the raid 0 array and when I go to boot the UEFI:windows installation the screen flashes blue and kicks me back into the bios configuration screen. Has anyone else experienced this? My setup is as follows.

Motherboard: ASRock x399 professional gaming Fatal1ty
Bios: 1.70
NVMe: raid enabled
SATA: changed from AHCI to Raid mode

3x Samsung 960 Pro 1 TB SSD (raid 0 array)
Array is visible in RAIDXpert2 but not under the SATA device page.

I am attempting to install Windows 7 64 Bit from DVD

Edited by dataminion - 06 Oct 2017 at 4:23am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 4:29am
dataminion, a couple of questions:
Did you follow the instructions leesh0222 posted above?
All went well till these steps?

Select the UEFI: Winows installation media disk

Begin install the Windows 10.

What media did you boot, exactly, including what version of W10 did it contain?  Only W10 version 1703 (RS2) is supported.  I will shortly start my boot RAID install, but it may take several days.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  I installed BIOS 1.70, SATA mode to RAID, NVMe Raid mode, Entered RAIDXpert2 but there is no Create Array, perhaps because I do not currently have at least two eligible drives.  When my new install media is ready, I will Clean my W10 SSD using DiskPart and then see if I am ready to go.

Edited by MisterJ - 06 Oct 2017 at 5:36am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 9:27am
Originally posted by dataminion dataminion wrote:

So, I followed all instructions to create the raid 0 array and when I go to boot the UEFI:windows installation the screen flashes blue and kicks me back into the bios configuration screen. Has anyone else experienced this? My setup is as follows.

Motherboard: ASRock x399 professional gaming Fatal1ty
Bios: 1.70
NVMe: raid enabled
SATA: changed from AHCI to Raid mode

3x Samsung 960 Pro 1 TB SSD (raid 0 array)
Array is visible in RAIDXpert2 but not under the SATA device page.

I am attempting to install Windows 7 64 Bit from DVD

As AMD specifically states in their information and download page for the NVMe RAID driver and software, only Windows 10 build 1703 supports the X399 NVMe RAID:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/NVMe-RAID-Support-for-the-AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-platform.aspx

Sorry, but Windows 7 has no chance of working, for multiple reasons. Among them, it does not support UEFI booting (using the EFI boot loader instead of the legacy boot loader) without a modification of the location of the EFI boot loader file. But the necessity of Windows 10 beyond that is not clear to me yet.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 11:00am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

What media did you boot, exactly, including what version of W10 did it contain?  Only W10 version 1703 (RS2) is supported.  I will shortly start my boot RAID install, but it may take several days.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  I installed BIOS 1.70, SATA mode to RAID, NVMe Raid mode, Entered RAIDXpert2 but there is no Create Array, perhaps because I do not currently have at least two eligible drives.  When my new install media is ready, I will Clean my W10 SSD using DiskPart and then see if I am ready to go.

If you've used Intel's IRST RAID in the past, there is more work for you with AMD's RAID implementation in comparison.

When you run RAIDXpert2, does the entry for your SSD look something like the following? NOTE: This is RAIDXpert2 on an X370 Ryzen system using SATA SSDs, so possibly not 100% identical to what you will see, but the basics will likely be the same:

Notice in the Active Volumes section, the D: and E: SSDs have a Type of Legacy. That does not refer to their partitioning type, they are both GPT partitioned. LEGACY is AMD's RAID term for a drive that has not been initialized for use in a RAID array. We must initialize every drive we want to use in a RAID array first, using RAIDXpert2.

Yes MisterJ, you must have at least two eligible drives to create a RAID array. Cleaning your existing NVMe SSD with diskpart is a good idea and sufficient, an SSD secure erase would be ideal if possible.

You can apparently create a RAID array with one drive with two or more partitions on it, created within RAIDXpert2. I'm not an expert at using that software yet, as my first experience with it is my Ryzen PC.

My main point here is, if you just run RAIDXpert2 without reading at least some of the RAID Installation Guide, specifically the section for your chipset (X399) and RAIDXpert2, you will be frustrated. The guide covers multiple chipsets and versions of RAIDXpert, as well as the UEFI Shell command line interface, so be certain you are studying the correct sections.

Unless you are brave and have a high tolerance for frustration, I do not suggest just diving in and creating your first NVMe RAID 0 array for a Windows 10 Build 1703 installation. Experiment with creating the RAID array in Windows first, and know which drivers you must install during the Windows 10 installation. If you are just following cookbook instructions, you won't really understand how it works. For example, will you be using an NVMe driver with your AMD NVMe RAID array?

One important detail, you MUST maintain the "SATA Mode" as RAID at all times. (Unfortunately the "SATA" Mode is being used to enable NVMe RAID, which confuses users that NVMe is the same as or related to SATA, which is false. Intel board's UEFIs are the same. The SATA RAID drivers were modified to also support NVMe.)

A UEFI/BIOS clear, load defaults, or version update normally would reset the SATA Mode back to AHCI, the default, from RAID. Attempting to boot any RAID array in AHCI mode will of course fail. We know we must enable RAID in two places in an X399's board UEFI, correct?

A lesson learned with Intel NVMe RAID is a UEFI update will no longer reset the SATA Mode from RAID to AHCI (the first Intel NVMe RAID arrays were ruined simply from POST running in AHCI mode!) That was fixed in the UEFIs of Intel 100 and 200 series chipset boards that support NVMe RAID a while ago. I assume this has been applied to X399 and X299 as well, but I have not yet seen that with my own eyes. That bug may not even apply to AMD NVMe RAID, but do we know that yet?

Which is a perfect segue into my final point. Will this new AMD NVMe RAID software be 100% perfect on its first release? Highly unlikely, Intel's wasn't. I had no major problems besides the RAID mode change with my first Intel NVMe RAID arrays, but the change logs for the Intel IRST RAID software contain many bug fixes, as well as open issues. But don't think any failure you experience is automatically a bug in the software. The more you research how the AMD NVMe RAID works, the better your experience using it will be.

Edited by parsec - 06 Oct 2017 at 11:01am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 11:58pm
Thanks, parsec.  I do have experience with AMD RAID but not NVMe.  I have no experience at all with Intel systems - 100% AMD.  My plan is to inject the AMD_RAID(v9.00.00.088) drivers and the Samsung SSD drivers into Index 1 and 2 of the boot.wim and Index 1 (only W10 x64 Pro) in the install.wim (1703.632).  I will then boot into BIOS and follow the instructions above.  I have asked leesh0222 to see if a link to the document the instructions came from can be obtained.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
dataminion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dataminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 3:33am
Well, I followed them except for the fact that I didn't know about Windows 7 & UEFI not getting along well. Since then I purchased windows 10 Pro and am up and running.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic