ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock x399 Taichi M.2 NVMe SSD RAID?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontlookforlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock x399 Taichi M.2 NVMe SSD RAID?
    Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 2:52am
Hello!
I'm just returning to the PC world after my MacPro finally crapped out with no suitable alternative from Apple available. First Windows build in 12 years. I have a medium tech knowledge and am good at least following directions. I'm not trying to be all overclocky just yet. Just trying to get a RAID on my system drive at the moment.

I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to RAID these Samsung 960EVO M.2 NVMe drives. Is it even possible with this board? Ive installed Windows 10 on one of the drives and tested my whole setup for a week so I know everything works.

All three drives are in M.2 slots. Here are the steps I've been taking:

1. In UEFI>Tools> EasyRAID Installer - copies RAID driver from support dvd 
2. Advanced tab> Change SATA mode to RAID
3. Save/exit
4. This is where the onscreen instructions in the UEFI differ from every other methods on other boards including other Asrock MBs. The instructions under the Easy RAIDInstaller state that once you copy the RAID files to USB drive, then you can precede with installing the operating system.

So, I installed the OS but only one drive is mounted in File Explorer.

- All drives are present in Disk Management and display as NFTS healthy etc.
- In Device Manager>Disk Drives, all three drives are present. 
- Under Other Devices, 3 RAID controllers have caution signs on them.   

Other videos/advice say to enable Storage OpROM policy in order to remap the drives.

Back to square one. Cleared CMOS formatted the drives and went through steps 1-3

4. Reboot into UEFI. Under Boot>CSM>Storage OpROM policy, select enable. 
5. Save/Exit
6. Reboot into UEFI Advanced> RAIDXpert2 option appears and that is as far as I get. There is no option to enable remapping. Any options within RAIDexpert2 show that 0 physical drives are present. Creat RAID is grayed out. And that seems to be where the instructions in the UEFI dead end.

Here is what I've been referencing in addition to numerous Google searches:

Asrock Taichi Manual:
http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/RAID/X99%20Taichi/English.pdf

RAIDXpert2:
http://support.amd.com/TechDocs/53987_RAIDXpert2_User_Guide.pdf

This excellent thread:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4122&PN=2&title=raid-setup-menu

This video is on the Asrock x399 Taichi page even though it is a different board and the bios differs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1Vvh67Efw&t=67s

I'm sure I am missing a simple step here but at this point, I'm stumped. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction before I cry real man tears.

Best,

-Lee

Asrock X399 Taichi (bios 3.3)
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
G.skill TridenZ DDR43200 4x16GB
2 Asus ROG GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
3 Samsung 500GB M.2 NVMe
4 Samsung 1TB SSD
Windows 10 Pro 64
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 4:59am
our man 'misterj' is quite adapt at this and has an x399 as well

if the mods dont pick this up before hand misterj will soon talk you through it

ps nice build ,im not a fan of apple anyway but these new amd's are doing very very well at work based heavy loads
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Rope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 9:58pm
I believe M.2 NVMe  raid is not supported by the platform as of yet.  Supposedly AMD is going to be adding this in a software update sometime in late September 2017. 

Hopefully it'll just be a AMD chipset update and not a bios update where we have to wait on vendor support.

Edited by Rope - 22 Sep 2017 at 10:00pm
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 11:50pm
Thanks, datonyb, but you may have gone too far.
dontlookforlee and Rope, I have the SSDs (see specifications below) for a RAID0 for my W10.  I installed W10 on one SSD for now and am running fine.  I plan on trying it soon and will report my experience.  I am looking for a BIOS/AGESA update for a number of reasons and may need to wait for it to have a boot RAID with NVMe drives.  Thanks, Rope, the first I have heard of this.  I will do some more research.  What I know:  If you want a non-booting RAID, use RAIDxpert or RAIDXpertII to create it.  The drives need no formatting - can be raw.  You will not be able to see them in Explorer but RAIDxpert will see them and you can build a RAID 0, 1 or 10.  Then open disk manager and format it.  I strongly recommend you set them GPT and you must if you want to install W10 later.  If you want to create a bootable RAID up front, including the SSD your OS is currently on (if there is one), then you must use the UEFI method.  The ASRock RAID manual is a good guide here.
I'll leave it here, please ask some questions and I will answer as best I can.  I, too, am learning, so we will learn together.  Hope this helps.  Enjoy, John.

Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 4:31am
Look at this!!!  New BIOS (1.60) released for Fat1 X399 Pro!
1. Enables NVMe RAID support.
(Note: 1. If you update the BIOS and build the new RAID, it is necessary to install new driver V9.00.00.84.
2. If the RAID was built with old BIOS, it is necessary to back up the data and rebuild RAID with new BIOS and driver.)

Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 12:04am
BIOS 1.60 has disappeared, so if you DLed it yesterday, I would not install it.  BTW it still contains AGESA 1.0.0.3.  Enjoy, John.
dontlookforlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontlookforlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 10:16am
At least I know its not totally my fault. Confused Ill keep my eyes peeled for that next update. 

Looking forward to delving more into all this. Thanks guys for input!
Asrock X399 Taichi (bios 3.3)
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
G.skill TridenZ DDR43200 4x16GB
2 Asus ROG GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
3 Samsung 500GB M.2 NVMe
4 Samsung 1TB SSD
Windows 10 Pro 64
Rope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 1:23am
leesh0222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leesh0222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 2:35am
Has anyone figured out how to build a NVME RAID array in BIOS 1.7, with x399 Taichi? I just cannot get it to work. 

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 4:48am
leesh0222, we know nothing about your setup or what you have tried, so it is impossible to offer suggestions.  I plan on trying a boot NVMe SSD RAID soon and will report.  Please DL and read the "RAID Installation Guide".  DL the AMD RAID driver ver:9.00.00.088 - should serve both as the W10 driver and the so called F6 or Floopy driver.  This last part is what I will test, but it is my opinion at this time.  DL and install AMD RAIDXpert2 utility ver:9.00.00.088.  Do NOT DL and try to use SATA Floppy Image ver:8.2.0.24.  When you tell us what you have and what you are trying to do, hopefully we can advise you further.  I recommend you post your system specifications in your signature as I have and at about the same detail.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic