ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Computer Acting Strange - X370 Gaming K4
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Computer Acting Strange - X370 Gaming K4

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message
Hubrah View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 22 Sep 2017
Status: Offline
Points: 7
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Computer Acting Strange - X370 Gaming K4
    Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 5:25am
Hello everyone,

Below, I have provided a link to a video of the problem in action. Essentially, my computer crashes minutes after booting and I receive a Dr. Debug error code 00.

I have everything set at defaults, the BIOS has been updated, I have disassembled and reassembled everything (for any seating problems), removed all unnecessary system hardware. In all respects this is a new build. I would also like to add that I have never experienced this problem in the UEFI-BIOS or Windows Safe Mode.


Here is my build:

Windows 10, 64 bit

AMD R7 1700

Asrock X370 Gaming K4 (updated to 3.20 BIOS)

Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1

G.Skill 3000 @ 15-15-15-35

EVGA B2 750w PSU


I have had this build since April 2017, and at the beginning there was no problems, everything was working properly as it should after the initial build. I began experiencing this problem in early June and this problem has persisted regardless of what I have done to fix it.

Does anyone have experience with this problem, or have any advice on how to fix it? I am totally at a loss as to what I can do. I have swapped my GPU with another to eliminate the GPU as a possible reason, and I have made sure the CPU cooler was properly attached (I have tried both the stock cooler and an aftermarket cooler) and ensured enough thermal paste was applied (and applied properly). I have also used SSD/HDD utilities to review the health of my drives, everything seems to indicate that my drives are healthy. I have also erased and reinstalled Windows on different SSD's and the problem still persists.

Furthermore, in my system I have 2 HDD & 2 SSD attached. However, in the BIOS I can't select them in the boot options menu. I can see them in the BIOS, and I can set the boot priority, but when I try to set the boot options it does not allow me to boot all my drives. I don't know if this is a related problem to my main issue, but perhaps it is an indicator that my motherboard is bad.

My gut tells me that I am going to need to RMA either my processor or my motherboard if I can't find a solution.


A thing of note that I have recently discovered: Apparently, if I increase the voltage going to my CPU (1.375v), it allows my computer to boot up and stay on for a decent while, however the problem still occurs after an hour or so. If I keep my CPU at stock voltages (3GHZ @ 1.1875v) the problem occurs seconds after bootup. I have no idea what this could indicate, and I am unsure if this issue is caused by the motherboard, CPU, or power supply.

Here is the video of the problem in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGf5kYS3ID4

Thanks for the assistance! I desperately hope we can solve this problem I am having!

Back to Top
Hubrah View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 22 Sep 2017
Status: Offline
Points: 7
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 7:51am
Fixed video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGf5kYS3ID4&t=1s
Back to Top
brucer View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 17 Sep 2017
Location: ky
Status: Offline
Points: 144
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brucer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 12:07am
The 00 on the debug is cpu related.. as long as the debug list I found on here is correct..

 I'd take the cpu cooler off and remove the cpu and inspect it and reinstall it and reinstall the cpu cooler with thermal compound.

Asrock x570 Taichi, Ryzen3800x, 32gb Gskill Royal 36000mhz@ 3733mhz, Samsung 250gb 970evo plus for OS drive, Sabrent Rocket 1tb nvme storage drive.
Back to Top
nangu View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2017
Status: Offline
Points: 120
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 12:19am
Hi,

I have the same setup but my Gskills are the 3200C16 ones.

Do you have the latest AMD chipset drivers installed? Ryzen balanced power plan on Windows?

I've seen this error on my system but when stress testing only. To me, it's related to not enough CPU voltage or a temp shutdown issue.

Did you check your temperatures? Also, try disabling from UEFI the CPU C6 state. Having it off helped my system to not hang when idleing for a long time.

Install HWinfo64 to get readings for temperatures and voltages to see if all is under normal operational values.
R7 1700 @3.90 1.25v - GSkill TridentZ 3200c16 Hynix MFR @2933 14-16-16-32 - Fatal1ty Gaming X370 K4 - Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 - WD 256 Black M2 Nvme as Windows 10 boot drive - EVGA Gold 650W
Back to Top
Zwu View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 12 Jun 2017
Status: Offline
Points: 63
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 12:48am
i think i have/had a similar problem

usually  it would happen at night when pc is idle, next morning when i try to wake the pc, screens stay black and i have to hard reset.
in the eventlog theres not much information only that the pc was shut down improperly at a given time.

it didnt happen for months when i built the pc - and happened for some weeks every night.
since i updated bios it seems to be gone.
it happened only once in few weeks.

couldnt figure it out, i suspect a bios or windows issue.
i have my 1600x on autosettings with -0.05V offset
an AMD 290x
Back to Top
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group


Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 6447
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 6:37pm
Hubrah,


My 2cents..........

More than likely it's memory related

Most CL15 3000MHZ is Hynix ICs.



Do you remember if this began after a BIOS update?

Mem in slots A2 and B2? Try them in A1 and B1.
BUT, before changing, hell, probably a good idea to do it anyways after all you've done, clear the CMOS(battery out + jumper), not simply a BIOS clearing to Defaults.

Pull the mem and reseat it, making sure you hear two clicks/snaps. One at each end.



Back to Top
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group


Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 6447
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by brucer brucer wrote:

The 00 on the debug is cpu related.. as long as the debug list I found on here is correct..

 I'd take the cpu cooler off and remove the cpu and inspect it and reinstall it and reinstall the cpu cooler with thermal compound.



ASRock Debug Codes:
http://asrock.com/support/faq.us.asp?id=334

He's already reseated the CPU. That and it had been running great. Doing this sh*t over the internet isn't at all easy, but I'm guessing for some reason his mem got knocked and is now not making proper contact in the slot..


@ OP

Rt click on the Windows icon on the ler left and select System. Does it appear to be correct, or is there like only half the system memory showing?




Back to Top
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar

Joined: 04 May 2015
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 4996
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Hubrah Hubrah wrote:

Hello everyone,

Below, I have provided a link to a video of the problem in action. Essentially, my computer crashes minutes after booting and I receive a Dr. Debug error code 00.

I have everything set at defaults, the BIOS has been updated, I have disassembled and reassembled everything (for any seating problems), removed all unnecessary system hardware. In all respects this is a new build. I would also like to add that I have never experienced this problem in the UEFI-BIOS or Windows Safe Mode.


Here is my build:

Windows 10, 64 bit

AMD R7 1700

Asrock X370 Gaming K4 (updated to 3.20 BIOS)

Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1

G.Skill 3000 @ 15-15-15-35

EVGA B2 750w PSU


I have had this build since April 2017, and at the beginning there was no problems, everything was working properly as it should after the initial build. I began experiencing this problem in early June and this problem has persisted regardless of what I have done to fix it.

Does anyone have experience with this problem, or have any advice on how to fix it? I am totally at a loss as to what I can do. I have swapped my GPU with another to eliminate the GPU as a possible reason, and I have made sure the CPU cooler was properly attached (I have tried both the stock cooler and an aftermarket cooler) and ensured enough thermal paste was applied (and applied properly). I have also used SSD/HDD utilities to review the health of my drives, everything seems to indicate that my drives are healthy. I have also erased and reinstalled Windows on different SSD's and the problem still persists.

Furthermore, in my system I have 2 HDD & 2 SSD attached. However, in the BIOS I can't select them in the boot options menu. I can see them in the BIOS, and I can set the boot priority, but when I try to set the boot options it does not allow me to boot all my drives. I don't know if this is a related problem to my main issue, but perhaps it is an indicator that my motherboard is bad.

My gut tells me that I am going to need to RMA either my processor or my motherboard if I can't find a solution.


A thing of note that I have recently discovered: Apparently, if I increase the voltage going to my CPU (1.375v), it allows my computer to boot up and stay on for a decent while, however the problem still occurs after an hour or so. If I keep my CPU at stock voltages (3GHZ @ 1.1875v) the problem occurs seconds after bootup. I have no idea what this could indicate, and I am unsure if this issue is caused by the motherboard, CPU, or power supply.

Here is the video of the problem in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGf5kYS3ID4

Thanks for the assistance! I desperately hope we can solve this problem I am having!


The link to your video does not work for me, results in a 404 not found.

After the PC crashes, what happens? Do you see the Windows BSOD screen and gathering information message? Then the PC restarts, and you get the 00 POST code? Or what else happens?

If the PC does not seem to restart, the 00 POST code display may mean nothing. POST codes will only be valid when POST runs.

If you can run the PC in the UEFI/BIOS or Safe Mode and never experience a crash, that does not sound like a hardware failure problem. This is an important difference, and you can stay in the UEFI interface or Windows Safe Mode indefinitely without the crash? Is that consistent at your stock VCore voltage, and at the increased VCore?

Given that, the question is what is the difference between running in Safe Mode or in the UEFI/BIOS, and a regular Windows boot?

What do you use to monitor VCore? My ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac 1700X PC has an OC to 3.9GHz, with Cool n Quiet and C6 enabled. My VCore shown in HWiNFO64 drops to 0.384V at idle from its high of 1.360V, and does not crash.

When you say your stock voltage is 1.1875V, is that with everything related to the CPU and VCore set to Auto/default? The Auto VCore for stock CPU clock on my board and 1700X was much more than 1.1875V. It is also more than the VCore I use for all cores at 3.9GHz, which is ~1.360V. The Auto VCore is over 1.4V at stock CPU clock speed. So a stock VCore of 1.1875V seems very low IMO, do you set that manually?

In the UEFI/BIOS, CPU power saving options like CnQ and C6 aren't active. Are they active for you when running in Safe Mode? Does your CPU downclock at all when at idle?

The main difference between being in the UEFI/BIOS and Safe Mode, and a fully booted Windows installation, are the drivers that are loaded. We don't know what the situation is immediately after your PC crashes, whether a BSOD or whatever it is. We need to know what that situation is.

About all your drives not being listed in the boot order, what is the entry for your OS drive in the boot order now? Depending upon how you installed Windows 10, that would be "Windows Boot Manager". Do you have more drives than the target OS drive running when you install Windows? Did you select the entry in the boot order for the Windows 10 installation media you use? If the entry in the boot order for the Windows 10 installation media was, "UEFI: <device name>", then you have a UEFI booting installation, and it is normal for no other drives to be listed in the boot order. Why would drives that are not bootable be listed in the boot order? That is normal in the situation I've described.








Back to Top
Hubrah View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 22 Sep 2017
Status: Offline
Points: 7
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 10:43am
Hello all and thank you for the replies. I have some updates.

So for the past few days I have been trying to narrow down which component the problem could be stemming from. I decided to do multiple MemTest86 tests to see if my RAM was the culprit.

Based on my MemTest86 observations:

- At UEFI defaults, with pretty much everything set on Auto, my RAM completes with 0 errors found. This is with no XMP profile, CPU frequency & voltage on Auto, and DRAM voltage at 1.35.

- At CPU frequency at default with a 1.375 vCore voltage, and my RAM running at the XMP profile 2933 15-15-15-35 at 1.375v, SoC LLC 2, my RAM completes with 0 errors found.

- Running MemTest86 without increasing my CPU voltage (leaving at default or Auto)  results in thousands of RAM errors found at completion.

With these results, it seems the overall success or failure of my RAM sticks relies on the amount of voltage going to the CPU. If the voltage is at default levels (1.18750) then I encounter many errors during my testing. If the voltage is increased to 1.35-1.375v, then I encounter no errors (0) during my testing.

I am not sure what to make of this as I do not know much about RAM, or memory controllers, etc...
However, I do feel as though my RAM is in the clear and not the source of my heartache. By my estimations, it seems to be either a bad motherboard or a bad CPU.

***Please note*** I have discovered that if I increase my CPU voltage to 1.35-1.375v my computer will run stable pretty much indefinitely. However, I cannot increase my CPU frequency 3.5-3.7GHZ or more, otherwise my system will crash. Once again, I do not know what to make of this but I hope this can help someone better understand my issue.

Here is a link of the problem in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGf5kYS3ID4&t=1s


Back to Top
Hubrah View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 22 Sep 2017
Status: Offline
Points: 7
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubrah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:



The link to your video does not work for me, results in a 404 not found.

After the PC crashes, what happens? Do you see the Windows BSOD screen and gathering information message? Then the PC restarts, and you get the 00 POST code? Or what else happens?

If the PC does not seem to restart, the 00 POST code display may mean nothing. POST codes will only be valid when POST runs.

If you can run the PC in the UEFI/BIOS or Safe Mode and never experience a crash, that does not sound like a hardware failure problem. This is an important difference, and you can stay in the UEFI interface or Windows Safe Mode indefinitely without the crash? Is that consistent at your stock VCore voltage, and at the increased VCore?

Given that, the question is what is the difference between running in Safe Mode or in the UEFI/BIOS, and a regular Windows boot?

What do you use to monitor VCore? My ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac 1700X PC has an OC to 3.9GHz, with Cool n Quiet and C6 enabled. My VCore shown in HWiNFO64 drops to 0.384V at idle from its high of 1.360V, and does not crash.

When you say your stock voltage is 1.1875V, is that with everything related to the CPU and VCore set to Auto/default? The Auto VCore for stock CPU clock on my board and 1700X was much more than 1.1875V. It is also more than the VCore I use for all cores at 3.9GHz, which is ~1.360V. The Auto VCore is over 1.4V at stock CPU clock speed. So a stock VCore of 1.1875V seems very low IMO, do you set that manually?

In the UEFI/BIOS, CPU power saving options like CnQ and C6 aren't active. Are they active for you when running in Safe Mode? Does your CPU downclock at all when at idle?

The main difference between being in the UEFI/BIOS and Safe Mode, and a fully booted Windows installation, are the drivers that are loaded. We don't know what the situation is immediately after your PC crashes, whether a BSOD or whatever it is. We need to know what that situation is.

About all your drives not being listed in the boot order, what is the entry for your OS drive in the boot order now? Depending upon how you installed Windows 10, that would be "Windows Boot Manager". Do you have more drives than the target OS drive running when you install Windows? Did you select the entry in the boot order for the Windows 10 installation media you use? If the entry in the boot order for the Windows 10 installation media was, "UEFI: <device name>", then you have a UEFI booting installation, and it is normal for no other drives to be listed in the boot order. Why would drives that are not bootable be listed in the boot order? That is normal in the situation I've described.



Hi Parsec, thanks for the response!

1) Yes, I did do a UEFI installation (for the first time actually), and I did not realize this was normal for connected drives to not be shown the boot order menu. "Windows Boot Manager" is my 480GB SSD drive that has my Windows installation on it, and it looks like even though my other HDD's are not in the boot order, they boot up and are operational (I play my games off them). I did not know this was a feature of the UEFI installation!!!!

2) I have provided an updated link to the video in one of my other comments.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGf5kYS3ID4

3) When my computer crashes, I no longer get video output to my monitor and my PC does not restart. I just get stuck with a black screen, case fans going full blast, and Dr. Debug blinking "00".

4)  Yes, I can run inside the UEFI-BIOS and Windows Safe Mode pretty much indefinitely without crashes (at default or Auto settings for CPU voltage and VCore & CPU frequency at Auto settings). I can also run inside normal Windows mode indefinitely if I increase the voltage going to my CPU (setting Vcore voltage to 1.375). However, in this state I cannot overclock. If I go anywhere near 3700mhz (fixed frequency) my system will crash. If I leave my CPU frequency to Auto @ 1.375 VCore, my computer runs stable.

5) I monitor my voltages/temperatures with CPUID HWMonitor & Ryzen Master utility. My CPU runs at 33-36c during normal operation and around 48c running Cinebench benchmarking.

6) Yes, according to HWMonitor, my CPU does downclock when idling.

7) In regards to the differences between UEFI-BIOS/Windows Safe Mode/Windows normal operation, I have installed my OS on different SSD's to eliminate any potential driver problem. I am currently running a fresh install and it still crashes. It even crashes while installing Windows if the parameters for stable operation are not met (as mentioned previously, #4).

Thanks for your help, I sincerely hope we may continue this conversation.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.129 seconds.