ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X299 Overclock Per Core

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksnyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X299 Overclock Per Core
    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 4:55am
I have an Asrock X299 Taichi motherboard. I overclocked my Intel 7820x to 4.4ghz. I have been able to overclock at a relatively low voltage of 1.125 volts. While rendering in Cinema 4d, I can render for extended periods and never get out of the mid-70s using my AIO (on quiet mode). I would like to run my machine at 4.6 GHz as Adobe After Effects works better with higher frequencies. In order to hit 4.6 GHz, I generate too much heat while rendering in Cinema 4D (it creates as much heat as AIDA64). I could create two different profiles for the different programs, but I don't want to bounce around with my settings. I would rather just leave it on one setting. Unfortunately, my Core #3 runs about 8 degrees hotter than the other cores. If Core #3 was cooler, 4.6 GHz temps would be much lower. To keep Core #3 cooler, I would like to run all cores at 4.6 GHz and run Core #3 at 4.4 GHz.

Is it possible to do that using per core settings?

Thank you for any advice you can offer. 

Kevin
bahgoogen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bahgoogen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 8:28am
Did you OC using the BIOS or the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility?
I'm interested in a similar thing, but i don't have much experience with overclocking.

I have the same MB with a 7900x.

You can definitely use per-core OC's using the Intel Tuning Utility, but i'm not sure where to find it in the BIOS.
ksnyder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksnyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 1:39am
I was looking at doing the per core overclock in the Bios. When you set the CPU speed, you can change it to per core instead of all cores. There are two options for per core, but the documentation is really limited. I assume that most people don't use the feature. I opted for an all core overclock. I have noticed that if you turn off SpeedStep and SpeedShift my overclock is much faster in some programs. Adobe After Effects renders a project 2 minutes faster with them off. 
bahgoogen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bahgoogen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 11:10am
That's interesting. I tested your theory and it's absolutely true.
Weird how by turning off SpeedStep that you can get a faster render from AE, when theoretically it should be boosting to that frequency and beyond when needed via speedstep.

I wonder if there's any other pitfalls of having Speedstep off all the time other than the constant higher power draw. i have turned mine off for now also as my primary app is AE and any way i can shave off 20% off my render times is good for me.

I even turned speedstep back on and set an all-cores OC to 4.4 and it still wasnt as fast as no-OC with speedstep off.
Moin37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moin37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:26pm
Hello Kevin

If you wan´t too set different Ratio´s on each core do this:

1. In Bios go to OC Tweaker and then to Cpu Configuration. In the option CPU Ratio
set it too per Core now put in the highest Ratio what you wan´t to use at core 0 and
at Number of cores set 8. For example I have an 8 Core 7820x Cpu and
I set at core 0 a Ratio of 47 and at core 0 # I put in 8 for eight cores.
Then leave the settings and go back to the menu.

2. Now change the CPU Ratio to Specific per Core
Now there is core 0 core 1.....to core 7
Set your highest Ratio first on the last core (core 7)
Then you can set the other Ratio´s you want to the other cores.
I did this:
core 0  43
core 1  47
core 2  43
core 3  43
core 4  43
core 5  43
core 6  43
core 7  47

So i have 47 Ghz on 2 Cores and 43 Ghz on the other 6 cores

I also put the voltage Mode from Adaptive to the Override Mode and got not so
high temps the other things I left on Auto

Then Save and Exit Settings

chrisw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:52pm
I'm using an X299 Taichi XE with a 7940x.  I figured this approach myself and it was working for me with the 1.0 BIOS release.  However, the most recent 1.4 release seems to have broken things.  Now all the Cores end up going up to the max value I've assigned for any of the Cores.

I used to have some Core working at 44x and a specific Cores had to be limited to 38x.  However, with the new BIOS, I haven been able to keep things from throttling without severely limiting all Cores.  Still playing with it, but I'd love to hear if anyone else is having any luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic