ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - new builder, need help with power questions please
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

new builder, need help with power questions please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote og_reborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new builder, need help with power questions please
    Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 7:54am
Hi,

I recently completed my first build, I've been using it for a few days now with no problems as far as I can see. But I was a little confused about some of the wiring instructions, and I am hoping someone would be kind enough to look at these voltage numbers and tell me if they think everything looks ok?

Secondly I have a question about temperature. I seem to be getting 2 different readings for the CPU temp. The motherboard software says that even at idle I am over 50c, which seems like a bit much from what I've read. I am using a water cooler with plenty of quality thermal compound.
The CAM software that comes with my cooler however, rates it in the 20c-30c range at idle.
Everything in the case, including the water cooler, is cool to the touch even when running under a higher load. So I would think the motherboard is not giving a correct temp reading for the CPU? But I don't know. Is this going to cause any problems?

p.s. I am not OC'ing anything yet.

Thank you so, so much. I appreciate your time.

Edited by og_reborn - 24 Sep 2017 at 8:03am
og_reborn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote og_reborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 7:57am
p.p.s seems like that first image was scaled down a bit! you can "view image" to see it bigger or the highlight is that the ASRock utility says 72c, while the other says 46c
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 10:02am
Hello.

Let's start with .......... What MB and processor?

Secondly, two monitoring program running at the same time will/can cause issues as the chip they read from chokes on having two programs access it.

Thirdly, Are you using the latest F-Stream from whatever MB's d/l pages?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 10:04am
You need a third opinion for the CPU temperature, I don't trust the CAM software, but that remains to be seen.

Try downloading and running the Sensor display of this software, HWiNFO64:

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Your "... plenty of quality thermal compound." comment worries me. While you want TIM over the entire surface of a CPU, the amount you want is minimal, the less used, the better. A thick layer of TIM is not good, and prevents the transfer of heat from the CPU to the CPU cooler.

But the 72° C reading in F-Stream seems too high for your VCore and clock speed. Since it is higher than the reading in the UEFI/BIOS, it may be wrong, and displaying the AMD Tctrl temperature, which as far as we know, is not applicable to a Threadripper processor.

If you run the CAM software by itself, without F-Stream running, is the CPU temperature the same as when both programs are running?

You mentioned questions about wiring connections and power, but nothing about that in your post.

og_reborn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote og_reborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 10:09am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Hello.

Let's start with .......... What MB and processor?

Secondly, two monitoring program running at the same time will/can cause issues as the chip they read from chokes on having two programs access it.

Thirdly, Are you using the latest F-Stream from whatever MB's d/l pages?

My bad! sorry haha. Yep obv I'm a newbie :)

It's the Fatal1ty x399 Pro Gaming and the Threadripper 1920X

The readings do show this difference even when only one or the other is running.

I downloaded the F-Stream software directly before I used it and got these readings.

Thank you!

Edited by og_reborn - 24 Sep 2017 at 10:22am
og_reborn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote og_reborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 10:19am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

You need a third opinion for the CPU temperature, I don't trust the CAM software, but that remains to be seen.

Try downloading and running the Sensor display of this software, HWiNFO64:

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Your "... plenty of quality thermal compound." comment worries me. While you want TIM over the entire surface of a CPU, the amount you want is minimal, the less used, the better. A thick layer of TIM is not good, and prevents the transfer of heat from the CPU to the CPU cooler.

But the 72° C reading in F-Stream seems too high for your VCore and clock speed. Since it is higher than the reading in the UEFI/BIOS, it may be wrong, and displaying the AMD Tctrl temperature, which as far as we know, is not applicable to a Threadripper processor.

If you run the CAM software by itself, without F-Stream running, is the CPU temperature the same as when both programs are running?

You mentioned questions about wiring connections and power, but nothing about that in your post.

As for the thermal compound, yes I did read about applying too much. I found a youtube video where a guy does benchmarks based on some extensive testing and variations and used his method that got the best results (big blob, as best as I could).

But perhaps my amount was more than his? I tried to match it but I could only eyeball it as no one seems to suggest a precise amount.

Yes the CAM software produces lower temperature readings consistently whether I am running both programs or not, give or take a couple degrees.

My main questions about power were just that I don't understand how to read the voltages other than seeing that the 5 & 12 volt are in spec, which they appear to be. But the rest of the readings are unfamiliar to me and not mentioned in any of the docs. I just want to make sure I'm not going to cause anything to burn out soon, even though it all appears to be working right now.
My main area of doubt was just the additional 8 pin and 4 pin ATX 12v plugs on the board. The instructions say "please plug" power into the 4 pin, so I did. But the instructions use different wording for the 8 pin. It did seem I was also supposed to plug that one in as well, so I also did. I just wasn't sure if it was necessary since the wording was different, and it doesn't say what the power is for.

Thank you so much!

I will look into that program you linked now. Thanks again!

Edited by og_reborn - 24 Sep 2017 at 10:21am
og_reborn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote og_reborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 10:24am
here is the link to the youtube video I followed for the thermal paste application.

https://youtu.be/nWu2tcm4wL8

Edited by og_reborn - 24 Sep 2017 at 10:25am
og_reborn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote og_reborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 10:41am

...displaying the AMD Tctrl temperature, which as far as we know, is not applicable to a Threadripper processor.

Ok, after running the HWinfo software I can see the two different temperature readings for Tctrl and Tdie. It looks like that's the difference. The first is reading between 53-60c at idle, while the Tdie reads 25-35c.

So the Tdie is the one I ought to be looking at then?

Edited by og_reborn - 24 Sep 2017 at 10:42am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by og_reborn og_reborn wrote:

...displaying the AMD Tctrl temperature, which as far as we know, is not applicable to a Threadripper processor.

Ok, after running the HWinfo software I can see the two different temperature readings for Tctrl and Tdie. It looks like that's the difference. The first is reading between 53-60c at idle, while the Tdie reads 25-35c.

So the Tdie is the one I ought to be looking at then?

Tctrl is Tdie + 20° C, so if the two temperatures are measured at the same time, they would be 20°C apart. That's exactly what I see in HWiNFO64 with a 1700X. The figures you quoted don't add up.

Tdie is the correct temperature reading as far as we know. Tctrl is supposed to only have a purpose for the Ryzen 1700X and 1800X, although given the specs, a 1600X may also qualify. How that applies to your Threadripper 1920X in a Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming, we don't know, but I'd say it is the same. Tdie is the correct temperature.

But what is CAM showing as the temperature compared to Tdie and Tctrl? How often does the CAM CPU temperature seem to update? Monitoring software takes readings at set intervals, it is not a continuous analog like reading. HWiNFO64 reads every two seconds by default.

What is the difference between the F-Stream reading and the HWiNFO64 Tdie and Tctrl readings? Don't have the CAM software running when you have the other two running.

og_reborn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote og_reborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 1:14pm
The CAM software does not differentiate the two readings. But I assume it's using the Tdie? It seems to update about once per second but it's noticeably variable by a little.

Here is a reading from HWinfo only, with Fstream and CAM not running:

And here are HWinfo and Fstream running at the same time:

At this point I am mostly concerned about the voltage readings I don't understand. If it's not a trouble could you please let me know based on all my screenshots if you think anything is amiss in any of the readings?
Thank you again!

My main questions about power were just that I don't understand how to read the voltages other than seeing that the 5 & 12 volt are in spec, which they appear to be. But the rest of the readings are unfamiliar to me and not mentioned in any of the docs. I just want to make sure I'm not going to cause anything to burn out soon, even though it all appears to be working right now.
My main area of doubt was just the additional 8 pin and 4 pin ATX 12v plugs on the board. The instructions say "please plug" power into the 4 pin, so I did. But the instructions use different wording for the 8 pin. It did seem I was also supposed to plug that one in as well, so I also did. I just wasn't sure if it was necessary since the wording was different, and it doesn't say what the power is for.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic