ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi X299 Won't Finish Post, A2 Error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OtisG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi X299 Won't Finish Post, A2 Error
    Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 9:46am
New motherboard that won't finish the initial post, errors with A2 which supposedly is IDE/SATA error.

It will never get past A2 during post (on the motherboard LED).
Also, the computer monitor never displays anything - I assume POST hasn't gotten that far yet.

Configuration:
i7-7820X
G.SKILL 16GB RAM (4 sticks, approved part no. on Asrock site)
BIOS v1.40 (according to the sticker on the motherboard BIOS chips)

1) I've tried wiping the BIOS to no avail, same result
2) I've tried using "Flashback" BIOS button on the back of the motherboard to upgrade, doesn't work
2) I've tried removing all memory sticks and re-seating them, same result
3) I've tried 1 memory stick, 2 sticks and 4 after moving them to different slots, same result
4) I've removed the motherboard from the case and powered it up, same result
5) I have NO drives attached, same result
6) With or without a graphic card (tried multiple GPUs), I get the same result

Any thoughts?  I can only assume this is a sh*t board that needs to be RMAed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

OtisG
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 10:55am
Originally posted by OtisG OtisG wrote:

New motherboard that won't finish the initial post, errors with A2 which supposedly is IDE/SATA error.

It will never get past A2 during post (on the motherboard LED).
Also, the computer monitor never displays anything - I assume POST hasn't gotten that far yet.

Configuration:
i7-7820X
G.SKILL 16GB RAM (4 sticks, approved part no. on Asrock site)
BIOS v1.40 (according to the sticker on the motherboard BIOS chips)

1) I've tried wiping the BIOS to no avail, same result
2) I've tried using "Flashback" BIOS button on the back of the motherboard to upgrade, doesn't work
2) I've tried removing all memory sticks and re-seating them, same result
3) I've tried 1 memory stick, 2 sticks and 4 after moving them to different slots, same result
4) I've removed the motherboard from the case and powered it up, same result
5) I have NO drives attached, same result
6) With or without a graphic card (tried multiple GPUs), I get the same result

Any thoughts?  I can only assume this is a sh*t board that needs to be RMAed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

USB BIOS Flashback only works with the CPU removed from the board. You also must use a specific USB port for the update, just have the PSU turned on, but not the board, etc. Sorry, no idea if you followed all of the procedure.

Some boards will show basic information on the monitor while POST is running, including the current POST code. Are you sure the code is A2 and not 82? The Ax POST codes are the last processes run during POST. Are you using all SATA drives, or anything in the M.2 slots?

Memory must be in the A1, B1, C1, D1 slots first.

Sorry to ask, do you have both the 24 pin and 8 pin CPU power cables connected to the board?

You are confident that your unknown PSU is working correctly? Have you tried a different PSU?

OtisG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OtisG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

USB BIOS Flashback only works with the CPU removed from the board. You also must use a specific USB port for the update, just have the PSU turned on, but not the board, etc. Sorry, no idea if you followed all of the procedure.

Some boards will show basic information on the monitor while POST is running, including the current POST code. Are you sure the code is A2 and not 82? The Ax POST codes are the last processes run during POST. Are you using all SATA drives, or anything in the M.2 slots?

Memory must be in the A1, B1, C1, D1 slots first.

Sorry to ask, do you have both the 24 pin and 8 pin CPU power cables connected to the board?

You are confident that your unknown PSU is working correctly? Have you tried a different PSU?

First of all, THANKS! for your reply.
To answer your questions:

1) USB BIOS Flashback: 
Yes I a) removed the i7-7820x CPU before the procedure and b) I used the specific USB slot shown in the diagram and c) only the PSU was powered on (the motherboard was not powered on).  The BIOS Flashback button's green LED light blinked initially as if it was working, then failed 38 seconds into it and ended as a solid green light - according to the manual, this means it failed.  

2) While POSTing, the motherboard's red LED light does run through a series of alphanumeric codes, and 16 seconds into it, hangs on "A2".  I have verified it is "A2" and not "82".  

The monitor never shows anything - I've verified the monitor works on another system, and I've tried using three different GPUs which I've confirmed worked in another PC.  

I have only used SATA devices and never the M2 slots.  Initially, I had the following SATA devices plugged in: ODD and a 110GB SSD.  Then I've tried with one SATA device by itself and then no SATA devices (including not even SATA cables) plugged into those ports.  I get the same result with "A2".  

3)  Yes, memory sticks are in the A1, B1, C1, D1 slots.  Also, when trying 1 stick, I used slot A1, and when trying 2 sticks I used slots A1, B1.

4) Yes, both the 24-pin and 8-pin CPU power cables are plugged into the motherboard

5) My PSU is a brand new Seasonic 850 FX.  This is the only part I haven't verified, but it acts like it's working with all my fans spinning and motherboard lights coming on when I turn on the power.  I will swap it later today with a spare 600 watt PSU I know to be good.  I'll post how that goes later today.

Thanks again!
OtisG

OtisG
admflr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admflr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 11:50pm
Hey there. I'm experiencing the same problem as you and have tried everything that you have tried. Did you ever figure out how to get past the A2 error?

Thanks.

Edited by admflr - 02 Mar 2018 at 11:50pm
OtisG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OtisG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 3:57am
Yes, I remember what happened and how I resolved it.

I figured out the final post "A2" was actually informational (no boot device) and not an error.  The problem was, my flat panel monitor never had anything on it, no text, no graphics, no nothing, so I got no feedback about the boot process other than A2 on the motherboard LED.  I expected the monitor to display the usual BIOS message you'd ordinarily expect at boot.

As a test, I swapped the video card (which had four ports) with an old clunker VGA card that's never failed me, and then I saw exactly what was going on during boot.  It was just waiting for me to press the F2 key to enter into the AsRock BIOS. The POST was working fine and delivering me to a boot prompt; as I had no drive connected yet, it gave me the option to configure the BIOS or boot from another source (thumb drive, etc.)

I put the original high end video card back into the PCI slot, tried booting again.  Same bad results again, nothing on the screen.  The video card in question has four ports: VGA, DVI, HDMI & DISPLAY.  On a hunch, I wondered if one specific port had to be used at boot before a Windows driver is loaded.  Turns out, that was the problem.  3 of 4 ports would not power up.  I had to use a VGA cable for the monitor to display, and then it was all resolved.  Everything worked.

I configured the BIOS options, connected a hard drive, and I was off....

Hope this makes sense.

Edited by OtisG - 03 Mar 2018 at 4:00am
OtisG
hhuey5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhuey5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 6:10am
if you had multiple monitors each with diff connection ; the error msg would show up on one of the monitors ; thats the kind of setup I have ; thanks for solving the A2 msg mystery
admflr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admflr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 12:57am

Yes, I remember what happened and how I resolved it.

I figured out the final post "A2" was actually informational (no boot device) and not an error.  The problem was, my flat panel monitor never had anything on it, no text, no graphics, no nothing, so I got no feedback about the boot process other than A2 on the motherboard LED.  I expected the monitor to display the usual BIOS message you'd ordinarily expect at boot.

As a test, I swapped the video card (which had four ports) with an old clunker VGA card that's never failed me, and then I saw exactly what was going on during boot.  It was just waiting for me to press the F2 key to enter into the AsRock BIOS. The POST was working fine and delivering me to a boot prompt; as I had no drive connected yet, it gave me the option to configure the BIOS or boot from another source (thumb drive, etc.)

I put the original high end video card back into the PCI slot, tried booting again.  Same bad results again, nothing on the screen.  The video card in question has four ports: VGA, DVI, HDMI & DISPLAY.  On a hunch, I wondered if one specific port had to be used at boot before a Windows driver is loaded.  Turns out, that was the problem.  3 of 4 ports would not power up.  I had to use a VGA cable for the monitor to display, and then it was all resolved.  Everything worked.

I configured the BIOS options, connected a hard drive, and I was off....

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the reply. I tried everything, many times over. I removed all of my ram, except for one stick, used onboard video rather than my GPU, moved my m.2 drive around the motherboard, reset the CMOS five or six times, and what finally ended up working was switching from a DisplayPort cable to an HDMI cable. That's it! That's all it was. It was a pain in my butt, but I'm so excited I finally got things up and running. Excited about my new build!
hhuey5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhuey5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:32am
I figured I check the build as I am building it
got the minimal setup ready for firing it up
first was checking the UEFI and setting the memory to XMP
2nd running memtest86 until I was happy memory is 100% reliable
3rd in order to run prime95 i had to add hard drive and install windows

A2 error wasnt too much of problem
I figured AsRock didnt do great job QA their UEFI reactions
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic