ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions about X399 PROFESSIONAL GAMING build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions about X399 PROFESSIONAL GAMING build
    Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 10:10pm
I am finishing up my shopping list for a new build based on the X399 Pro gaming mainboard.  I am relatively experienced, but have not done a "max build" in quite a while, and this will be my first build using AIO cooling for CPU and GPU.  My main question is about Fan/Pump headers on the board, but given the parts I will be using, any feedback or suggestions based upon user experience is quite welcome as well.

Case- HAF XB II EVO
Mobo- X399 Pro Gaming
CPU- undecided
GPU- EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 hybrid or similar
Storage/Boot drives- Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1TB (X2)
OS- Win10 and Solus OS
RAM- G-Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 32GB
PSU- EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 or similar
CPU cooler- Liqtech TR4 240 or 360 AIO
Case fan top exit- Noctua NF-A20 200mm

Given this hardware to work around, I will have the CPU radiator in the front of the case, the 120mm GPU radiator exiting the rear of the case, and the 200mm Noctua blowing out through the top grill.  
My question is can I run the two AIO coolers and that 200mm Noctua safely and properly using mobo headers with software or bios fan controlling?  This machine in all likelihood will not be pushed to the ragged edge in usage or over-clocking.  OC will be moderate if anything, and heaviest usage case I foresee will be gaming while stream/recording/rendering. I want some kind of reliable fan control, temp-based if possible, and I want it to be as quiet as is practical. I will add fans to the system if necessary, and there also I am not certain as to what fan controller to get.  Fan controllers seem to be a very mixed bag.  I have looked at the NZXT Sentry controllers, as well as the Kingwin FPX-005 Mesh manual slider controller.

Any personal experience nuggets would be appreciated, to usage or hardware suggestions as well.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 11:33pm
tannji,  I have a very similar build - see my signature.  I have  an NZXT Phantom 410 so I use a 240 mm TR4.  It is mounted at the top with the fans below blowing up and the radiator on top.  There was an interference problem that required removing a tie down point for the top grill - not visible or defacing in any way.  Please see this post for a Prime95 run I did as well as another user's results:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6165&PN=3&title=what-happened-to-fatality-x399-bios-160
I have the fans  (Y-connector) plugged into the CPU_FAN1 and the pump plugged into CPU_OPT/
W_PUMP.  I have done no special settings changes and my temperatures look very good.  Enermax claims both TR4 coolers will support 500 Watt dissipation.
I am using the same SSDs and suggest heat sinks for them.  I use these:
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-m-2-nvme-heatsink-black
Amazon and Newegg have them sometime.  The company is in Slovenia, so shipping is a little expensive.  I had to order some from them because they were not available in USA at the time.  RAIDing NVMe drives is not supported until a BIOS update is available.  ASRock released one a week or so ago then removed it without explication.  BIOS/AGESA is down level for the TR compared to the earlier Ryzen.  Currently ASRock BIOS is AGESA 1.0.0.3 while my R7 1800X is 1.0.0.6b.  This means no real fast memory will work till undated.  I am waiting (not very patiently).  Please ask any questions.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I think my system is very quiet.

Edited by MisterJ - 29 Sep 2017 at 1:48am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
tannji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 10:44am
MisterJ,
Thanks for the reply. Still wondering about the hookup for the second AIO for the GPU.  Also wondering if the 3200 DDR4 is going to work, even at lower speeds until the newer AGESA is released. I will not be utilizing raid with the 960 EVOs, but will be dual booting Win10 and Solus OS (Linux) each on a discrete drive. I found those NVMe heatsinks you linked on Amazon for about $15. Definitely adding them to the build sheet. Since the 240mm radiator seems to be sufficient, i might get that and try to mount it in the top of the HAF XB EVO case, would rather have cool air flow through the front if at all possible. It would be great if I can get away with not using a fan controller, as I would like the build to be as minimal as possible...  no hard disks, as few fans as possible, and minimal wiring to chase. I would really like to be using a Vega GPU, but I feel that it would cause too great of a compromise and work against what I am shooting for.  I am also looking for a gaming monitor in the 32 to 38 inch range...  but that seems to be a real crap-shoot at the moment.  
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 12:11pm
As an owner of the orginal CM HAF XB case, if you've never seen the HAF XB EVO except in pictures, I would highly suggest you study pictures of it closely, or find a place where you can see it yourself. The HAF XB EVO is not much different, except for the internal side of the plastic front panel being opened up to better accommodate radiators, and changes to the drive bays:

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/lan-box-haf-series/haf-xb-evo/

The top cover is not designed to accommodate radiators. The four mounting points on the top are designed to match one of the fan mounting options of CM's 200mm fans. The spacing of the mounting points does not match the mounting holes of 120mm fans, or a 240mm radiator. Fans attached to the underside of a radiator mounted to the top would not clear a video card, and would look odd on top of the top panel. The CM 200mm fan (not included with the case) would not be usable with a radiator mounted in the top panel, if the radiator could be mounted.

Clearance front to back with a radiator mounted on the front panel is less than a standard full size tower PC case. You may need to mount either the radiator or its fans on the inside of the case, with the other(s) on the outside of the internal case front panel, right under the removable plastic front panel. With the radiator and fans mounted within the case, clearance is tight with the 24 pin power cable.

The 120mm fan mounting point on the rear of the case has very little clearance above and below it for a radiator. With a fan mounted, there is no more that two to three millimeters of clearance at the bottom and top. So an AIO radiator must not be much wider than a 120mm fan.

I can guarantee that the plastic cover over the IO panel on the X399 board will not allow even a single 120mm fan to be mounted in the rear fan location. You would need to remove that cover to simply mount a fan in that location.

While CM touts this case as similar to a test bench, but the proximity and fixed nature of the front and rear panels to the mother board make it a failure in that respect IMO. The mother board tray is removable, but of course you must disconnect every cable connected to the board to do that. Removing the tray is necessary to access much of the area underneath it, so plan your cable routing carefully before you mount the mother board, or you'll be removing it to change things underneath.

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 11:42pm
tannji, parsec's post leads me to think you may need a new case.  As I pointed out for my build, I had an interference problem (easily resolved) with the top (designed for top radiator) with the TR4 240 (38 mm thick); TR4 360 is only 25 mm thick.  BTW, I am not selling my case.  I have no experience with liquid cooled video cards.  Your memory may have a problem until a better AGESA is released.  It is worth a try even if you run at SPD speed (probably 2400 MHz or so, specs should say).  I would suggest you try the XMP when SPD is stable then revert if necessary.   Please see here for the memory I am waiting for (new AGESA):
https://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-announces-new-ddr4-specifications-for-amd-ryzen%E2%84%A2-threadripper%E2%84%A2-processors
I suspect G.Skill tested this memory with 1.0.0.6 under a NDA.  I have seen some reviews on TR and memory that reported 1.0.0.6 AGESA June 2017.
The only caution I have on a monitor is make sure the resolution is supported by the video card.  Have fun and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
LurkerLito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LurkerLito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 1:38am
I don't have the case, but I do have the 1080Ti Hybrid, and it is self contained in the sense that you don't have to plug in the fan into the Motherboard at all, it just runs normally powered by the VGA card. My case is a Rosewill B2 Stealth and the TR4 360 Radiator is mounted on top blowing the air out the top and the EVGA radiator is mounted as a rear exhaust fan.

My memory is G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 CL14 4x16 variety. It runs perfectly stable at 3066, it can also run a 3200 but I don't because I was having some random crashes when I was testing in Win 10 so I dialed it back to 3066 and now it's perfectly fine.

Just a reminder, disable IOMMU in the Advance -> North bridge Configuration menu. Win 10 does NOT like it at all.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 1:56am
LukerLito,  what are the specifications of your system?  This is why putting them in your signature (as I have) is useful.  I assume you are running an X399 board.
Quote Win 10 does NOT like it at all
Doesn't like what, IOMMU disabled?  If W10 is RS2 or above (version 1703 or above) then X399 likes it just fine.  That is what I am running (IOMMU enabled).

tannji, you should be aware that Officially TR is supported only under W10 RS2 or above.  RS1 should work with IOMMU disabled.  Linux may (probably, coming from me who knows almost nothing about Linux) work or not.  Some people here are running Linux.  I should also point out a heat sink would not fit on socket M2_3 on my board.  Thanks LukerLito.  Enjoy, John.
128noGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 3:09am
Originally posted by LurkerLito LurkerLito wrote:

I don't have the case, but I do have the 1080Ti Hybrid, and it is self contained in the sense that you don't have to plug in the fan into the Motherboard at all, it just runs normally powered by the VGA card. My case is a Rosewill B2 Stealth and the TR4 360 Radiator is mounted on top blowing the air out the top and the EVGA radiator is mounted as a rear exhaust fan.

My memory is G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 CL14 4x16 variety. It runs perfectly stable at 3066, it can also run a 3200 but I don't because I was having some random crashes when I was testing in Win 10 so I dialed it back to 3066 and now it's perfectly fine.

Just a reminder, disable IOMMU in the Advance -> North bridge Configuration menu. Win 10 does NOT like it at all.

Are you running 128GB of RAM?
tannji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 12:34pm
I really appreciate the input from everyone.  I have seen a couple of mods to the HAF XB EVO that allowed for top mounted radiators, as well as push-pull in the front-mount...  but having said that, I really don't want to mod it much, and I also have had quiet concerns about accessing components once the build is "finished".  I think I will use a test-bench case initially, until I find something that really grabs me, or more likely (from what I am seeing available) I will just grab a beefy Mobo tray from somewhere like MountainMods, and build something crazy, obnoxious, but practical from scratch. 
Another question:  If I download Win10 from Microsoft, will the download be the latest release, or does it have to be updated after install?  I have essentially no experience with Win10 and UEFI, outside of recently buying a laptop and doing a fresh install of Win10/Solus.  Due to my distaste for Microsoft's products and business practices, and my growing comfort with my Linux OS, I just haven't played around with it enough to know much. 
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 11:47pm
tannji, if you use the MS MediaCreationTool:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
You can make a USB stick or other media to install W10.  It should be the latest at the time you DL it.  There is a major update coming, 1709 (RS3).  It should be here 17 Oct 2017.  If you DL before then, it will be updated unless you delay via Settings-Update&Security.  You will be able to install it without a key (Click 'Skip' when asked for a key during install).  You will need to buy a key to activate W10 or it will start complaining and probably do something bad after 30 days or so.  I never let it go that long.  Enjoy, John.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic