ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Best RAM to use with x399 Fatal1ty and 1950 Thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best RAM to use with x399 Fatal1ty and 1950 Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best RAM to use with x399 Fatal1ty and 1950 Thread
    Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 2:32pm
Hey all,

Could you tell me what RAM you've successfully gotten to work with the x399 Fatal1ty in 128GB mode configuration (8x16GB)?

I've tried this:    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233968

and something isn't working right (see here:   http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6214&PID=37015&#37015)

At this point I'm going to just throw the RAM away or return it, and buy some new RAM ASAP and overnight it.

Could you guys please tell me what RAM in 128GB specifically is working for you on the Threadripper 1950x + x399 Fatal1ty motherboard?

Thanks!
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 3:27pm

Dear Jober,

Greetings, this is ASRock TSD.

We would like to share some memory which are 128GB(8x16GB) with you.

Please refer to the memory QVL and check the RAM corresponding to the following items.

* Make sure the size is "16GB"

* In Quad channel, "v" indicates 8 DIMM slot.

X399 Professional Gaming QVL:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X399%20Professional%20Gaming/index.asp#Memory

There are some suggestions for you to install 128GB RAM.

1. Make sure each DIMM slot work and each memory is functional.

2. If possible, we would recommend you to install the same memory module which is 8 DIMMs a kit. This could guarantee all module are compatible and have the same quality.   

3. Update to latest BIOS P1.50. Make sure the system load BIOS default before updating.

Link: http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/BIOS/TR4/X399%20Professional%20Gaming(1.50)ROM.zip

How to update: http://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS8

Thank you!

Have a great day,
ASRock TSD

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 29 Sep 2017 at 3:29pm
128noGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 4:06pm
ASRock_TSD:   Please tell me a memory that specifically works.

I used your QVL list and it does not work for the memory.  Please see here:  http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6214&title=fatal1ty-x399-wont-post-with-128gb-ram

I did everything you said.  It does not work.  Please respond to that thread.

Edited by 128noGB - 30 Sep 2017 at 3:10am
128noGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 3:10am
FOR EVERYBODY ELSE:

If you're using the x399 Fatal1ty and 128GB of RAM, would you please tell me which RAM works for you?   As of right now, I'm using the memory linked above, which is QVL, and it does not work.

I'm having dire problems getting this motherboard to work with 8 sticks of:

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 128GB (8 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) AMD X399 Compatible Desktop Memory Model CMK128GX4M8B3000C16

Tanusri14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanusri14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 6:38pm
I don't have real-time access to specific user configurations or updates beyond my last training cut-off in January 2022. Determining exact compatibility can be a bit tricky, especially with larger RAM configurations like 128GB (8x16GB), as it can depend on various factors including BIOS updates, RAM module revisions, and motherboard compatibility.

However, for the ASRock X399 Fatal1ty motherboard paired with the AMD Threadripper 1950x CPU, there might be specific RAM modules that users have reported as working well in such configurations. To find this information, I'd recommend checking:

ASRock's Official Support: Check ASRock's website or support documentation for the X399 Fatal1ty motherboard. Sometimes they provide a Qualified Vendor List (QVL) or memory compatibility list that details tested and verified RAM modules.

Community Forums: Visit forums or online communities where users discuss their builds and experiences. Websites like Reddit's /r/buildapc or various tech forums often have threads or discussions where users share their successful RAM configurations.

Recent User Reviews or Builds: Look for recent reviews or builds specifically mentioning the Threadripper 1950x and the ASRock X399 Fatal1ty motherboard. Users often detail their RAM choices and their experiences.

Manufacturer Recommendations: Some RAM manufacturers might suggest specific models or series designed for AMD platforms or high-capacity configurations. Checking their websites or contacting their support might yield some recommendations.

Remember that BIOS updates for the motherboard can also impact RAM compatibility. Ensure your motherboard has the latest BIOS version available, as it might include improvements for memory compatibility and stability.

Always cross-verify the information obtained from different sources to ensure reliability and compatibility before making a purchase, especially when dealing with high-capacity RAM configurations. However, you might consider checking local PC stores in Kolkata for their recommendations or insights into compatible RAM configurations for the ASRock X399 Fatal1ty motherboard and AMD Threadripper 1950x. They might have experience or suggestions based on customer feedback or their own testing.

sayanimondal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sayanimondal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 6:44pm
the X399 Fatal1ty motherboard is designed for AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors, such as the 1950X. When choosing RAM for this platform, there are a few factors to consider:

Memory Type:

The X399 platform supports DDR4 memory. Ensure that the RAM you choose is DDR4.
Memory Speed:

Ryzen processors, including Threadripper, can benefit from higher memory speeds. However, the degree of improvement tends to diminish beyond a certain point. Check the motherboard specifications for the supported RAM speeds. Typically, you'll find that Ryzen processors perform well with memory speeds in the range of 3000MHz to 3600MHz.
Capacity:

Threadripper processors and the X399 platform are often used in high-performance workstations and content creation systems. Consider getting a sufficient amount of RAM for your specific needs. 32GB or 64GB is common for such setups, but it depends on your use case.
Dual-Channel vs. Quad-Channel:

The X399 platform supports quad-channel memory. For optimal performance, it's recommended to use four RAM modules to take advantage of this quad-channel capability.
Latency and Timings:

Lower CAS latency (CL) values can contribute to better performance, but the difference might not be very noticeable in real-world applications. It's a balance between speed and latency.
Brand and Compatibility:

Choose RAM from reputable manufacturers. Additionally, check the motherboard's Qualified Vendor List (QVL) to ensure that the RAM you're considering is officially supported. This can help avoid potential compatibility issues.
As of 2022, some popular RAM manufacturers include Corsair, G.Skill, Kingston, Crucial, and others. Always check for the latest reviews and compatibility information, as the market evolves, and new RAM modules are released.

Well when I started taking game development courses on the Unity game engine then on that time i used 16 GB of RAM bow then I am using Unreal game engine i need 64GB of ra so it's depends upon your uses

There may have been new releases or changes in the market since then. Be sure to check the latest reviews and product specifications for the most up-to-date information.

Edited by Xaltar - 28 Nov 2023 at 7:25pm
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2023 at 7:18am
Two DIMMs per channel is always harder on the memory controller.
And Zen1/Zen+ was particularly bad with this.

If I were you, I'd buy FOUR sticks of MTA18ASF4G72AZ-3G2R (Crucial DDR4-3200 Unbuffered ECC DIMM) and put one DIMM per channel, in DIMM slots furthest away from the CPU (per channel). These are all basic JEDEC DIMMs, so pretty much no compatibility worries. $81.30 a piece currently, which is pretty darn good in my opinion, although I've gotten them for as low as $74.76 each.

That's me personally. I basically don't buy non-ECC memory.

I used to run two of these on my X470 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac, with R7-2700X.
They actually ran at 3200MT/s, but NB portion of the chip needed fairly high voltage and was burning too much power for my taste, so I ran them at 2400MT/s.

The biggest issue I see is that X399 & 1950X are all old stuff at this point, so it's entirely possible they won't work with the latest DIMMs, even if they're entirely JEDEC spec. Crucial site lists the older 2666MT/s DIMMs, but they don't even stock them anymore.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic