ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z270 k6 problems after bios update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Demon009 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z270 k6 problems after bios update
    Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 9:48am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by Demon009 Demon009 wrote:

Not sure what's going on but I went threw the whole process and my backup bios should have 1.10 but i let it boot all the way to windows after it finished then restarted back into the bios and am still at 2.10 with no settings even changed..i am pretty sure to copy what's on the b bios to the A bios I have to be on the B bios which is not possible as it auto switches if it thinks it's failed. It should show B->A to show j am copying b bios to a but it shows A->B which means I just copied the a bios to my B bios?... As it does say switch to the other flash rom and execute secure back up......

Here is the situation, as I now remember it. The Intel 200 series chipset boards like your Z270 no longer have sockets for the UEFI/BIOS chips. The chips are soldered in place. The socket type chips are no longer available.

Along with that change, the procedure for the Secure Backup UEFI feature, and how it is done, was changed. The switch to select the A or B UEFI/BIOS that previously was on boards with this feature, was removed, and a new multi-pin header appeared on the board. That header is near the UEFI/BIOS chips, in the middle of the board. As you know, the description that I posted above mentions "... switch to the other flash ROM and execute Secure Backup UEFI...". That of course is what you are asking about.

The manual for our board has no description about the new header, or how to use it. Myself and the other moderators noticed this, and asked how this new Secure Backup UEFI arrangement worked. We never received a reply. Confused

So, ASRock_TSD will need to explain to you how Secure Backup UEFI works. They post in the forum, and have hopefully seen this thread.

ya it appears to copy the current bios to the other bios. So you'd need to lunch into B bios it is frustrating they removed the option to have a switch to change the bios. Gigabyte did the same on there z170 boards also. Luckily I found the setting that seems to have been effecting my overclock and all is good now after some very long testing. If anyone else runs into this it was for some reason the uncore ratio when left to auto decided to follow my mutipler so I had to manually put in 42 on uncore

Edited by Demon009 - 04 Oct 2017 at 6:11am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 9:26am

Not sure what's going on but I went threw the whole process and my backup bios should have 1.10 but i let it boot all the way to windows after it finished then restarted back into the bios and am still at 2.10 with no settings even changed..i am pretty sure to copy what's on the b bios to the A bios I have to be on the B bios which is not possible as it auto switches if it thinks it's failed. It should show B->A to show j am copying b bios to a but it shows A->B which means I just copied the a bios to my B bios?... As it does say switch to the other flash rom and execute secure back up......

Here is the situation, as I now remember it. The Intel 200 series chipset boards like your Z270 no longer have sockets for the UEFI/BIOS chips. The chips are soldered in place. The socket type chips are no longer available.

Along with that change, the procedure for the Secure Backup UEFI feature, and how it is done, was changed. The switch to select the A or B UEFI/BIOS that previously was on boards with this feature, was removed, and a new multi-pin header appeared on the board. That header is near the UEFI/BIOS chips, in the middle of the board. As you know, the description that I posted above mentions "... switch to the other flash ROM and execute Secure Backup UEFI...". That of course is what you are asking about.

The manual for our board has no description about the new header, or how to use it. Myself and the other moderators noticed this, and asked how this new Secure Backup UEFI arrangement worked. We never received a reply. Confused

So, ASRock_TSD will need to explain to you how Secure Backup UEFI works. They post in the forum, and have hopefully seen this thread.

Demon009 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 3:01am
[URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]

[URL=][/URL]I have a Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 board, which is what you have, correct?

If I go into the UEFI/BIOS, Advanced mode, in the Tools screen, there is an option for Secure Backup UEFI. Click on that option, and follow the prompts to complete the process.

Don't you have that option in your board's UEFI? What version are you using?

so if i am currently on bios A and i use secure backup uefi it will copy whats on my B bios to the A bios? just want to make sure before i go clicking on settings. thanks for the help so far

Yes, that is correct. That is the only way it can work.

That is exactly what the description from the manual states. All you can do is restore the Active (A) BIOS from the Backup (B) BIOS. You cannot update or change the Backup B BIOS in any way, as is stated in the description of this feature.

Edited by Demon009 - 03 Oct 2017 at 3:08am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 11:40am

I have a Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 board, which is what you have, correct?

If I go into the UEFI/BIOS, Advanced mode, in the Tools screen, there is an option for Secure Backup UEFI. Click on that option, and follow the prompts to complete the process.

so if i am currently on bios A and i use secure backup uefi it will copy whats on my B bios to the A bios? just want to make sure before i go clicking on settings. thanks for the help so far

Yes, that is correct. That is the only way it can work.

That is exactly what the description from the manual states. All you can do is restore the Active (A) BIOS from the Backup (B) BIOS. You cannot update or change the Backup B BIOS in any way, as is stated in the description of this feature.

Demon009 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 11:00am

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 10:45am

Demon009 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 9:55am
How can I switch to the other flash rom? As it still posts . So not sure how to do the switch to the other rom part
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 9:14am

I updated my z270 k6 and now i servery regret it. I was thinking it would help improve dram compatibility but now my old cpu overclock is no longer stable at all. It seems to have some how slightly corrupted something as i cant overclock to the same point even if i add more voltage. I have gone back to p1.10 bios and it didn't help at all. does anyone know how to change to the bios B on this mobo. I know as rock support is slow as rocks so i am hoping someone here nows how to switch to the backup bios? -_-this has been a frustrating sunday

What UEFI version were you using that seemed to work well for you? Was that the version that came with your board from the factory?

The Secure Backup UEFI feature and tool is in the Tools screen in the UEFI. These instructions are from your board's manual:

Demon009 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 4:50am
I updated my z270 k6 and now i servery regret it. I was thinking it would help improve dram compatibility but now my old cpu overclock is no longer stable at all. It seems to have some how slightly corrupted something as i cant overclock to the same point even if i add more voltage. I have gone back to p1.10 bios and it didn't help at all. does anyone know how to change to the bios B on this mobo. I know as rock support is slow as rocks so i am hoping someone here nows how to switch to the backup bios? -_-this has been a frustrating sunday
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic