ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

J3455B-ITX locked at 1500MHz?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: J3455B-ITX locked at 1500MHz?
    Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 10:11am
Hello, new to the forums,

On booting my J3455B-ITX into BIOS (and my hypervisor), I see that the Max CPU clock is 1500MHz, despite the cpu being rated to a max 2.3GHz. I can't find any overclock settings in this BIOS, is there any way I can get it up to speed? I've tried all of the options I could find in my BIOS version (1.30).

Thanks!
frazzmatazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frazzmatazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 8:28pm
I have the J3455-ITX (not the B), and it seems to vary CPU frequency appropriately up to 2.3 Ghz. According to utilities in the OS.

Have you tried looking at the CPU frequency once you've booted?
Have you accidentally enabled some sort of power optimisation in BIOS?
jb23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 9:29pm
Thanks for the reply,

Once I've booted the frequency is still listed as 1.5GHz. I've tried both Normal and Sport mode in BIOS, but no change.
GuizmoGaia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuizmoGaia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:59pm
Hello All,

Same issue here. J3455B-ITX stating 1500Mhz on Bios and on OS. Bios Version 1.30, no improvement.

@AsRock, the mobo spec states clearly: IntelĀ® Quad-Core Processor J3455 (up to 2.3 GHz).

What need to be done to reach the specified speed?

Thank you
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 11:08am
Checking the specs of the J3455:

https://ark.intel.com/products/95594/Intel-Celeron-Processor-J3455-2M-Cache-up-to-2_3-GHz

We see that the Base Frequency of this processor is 1500MHz, and the Burst Frequency is 2300MHz. This processor will not operate at the Burst Frequency normally. ASRock is simply including the Intel specifications in the board's specifications, since this processor is built into the board.

Burst Frequency is not Turbo boost, and unfortunately Intel does not describe what Burst Frequency means in the specs. It's not a configurable option in the UEFI/BIOS, and cannot be controlled by the user in the same ways as Turbo Boost, or in any way at all.

You may be able to get the processor to burst its speed more often using the Windows High Performance power plan, but it will operate at its base speed of 1500MHz the majority of the time.

From what I've been able to find about it, it is the maximum very short term speed the processor can reach under high loads. Intel describes it somewhat in a thread in their processor forum:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/45164

You might be able to see your processor reach its Burst speed depending upon the monitoring program you use. I would suggest HWiNFO64, its Sensor display. Allow it to run for a while to capture the maximum core clock speed.

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic