ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Ryzen Build Freezing Issue [SOLVED]

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Zwu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Ryzen Build Freezing Issue [SOLVED]
    Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 4:33pm
hows it going?

still have my idle hangs in the night like once or twice a week.

maybe its really a mobo issue
eLTee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eLTee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 5:57am
Thought it might be helpful to some to say that I replaced the motherboard (with the same one) and the problem has not happened again. Been going for about 5 days with no issues so hopefully not speaking too soon. It seems the other motherboard was faulty after all.
eLTee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eLTee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:43am
OK, I've tried these things now, with and without overclocking and timing settings changed, and nothing has helped. Although, it seems that I am not able to change soc voltage on this board, my only options are DRAM, 1.8, and Vddp. I am not informed enough to know if one of these is analogous to soc.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 5:57am
id at least try some other things first

bump ram volts to 1.375
bump soc to 1.1 volt

remove and reinsert the ram sticks very very firmly
make sure they are in slot a2 and b2

that may at least eliminate it being a ram problem
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
eLTee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eLTee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 5:17am
Update:

I tried a new PSU (CX-650M) and the problem persisted. May try returning the motherboard... I don't know.
Big Al View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:24pm
Sounds like the exact problem I'm having.  For your Display Adapter try switch to the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" drivers.    That kept my system from freezing and let's me focus more on a software than a hardware fix, but I'd like to get the system working with the Nvidia drivers.
eLTee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eLTee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 12:29pm
Thank you for your thoughts. The PSU I'm using is about 3 years old now so it definitely could be a problem.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Any chance you can try a different PSU?

My only option right now would be to buy a new one, which I will probably do if I can't figure anything else out.

Have you tried a different video driver version? Nvidia has had bad new driver versions that were removed not long ago.

I've tried the newest one just now to no avail. However, I do not think this is the issue because I was previously using an AMD GPU with the same issue.

Is your memory running at 2400, and in the A2 and B2 slots?

Yes.

Have you tried clearing the UEFI/BIOS since installing the MSI card?

I have tried resetting to defaults but have not done a CMOS clear.

Have you tried a different monitoring program besides SpeedFan? MSI Afterburner for example, or HWiNFO64. For a second opinion on your various temperatures.

Yes.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:15am

The main one being your PSU. It has quite a few bad reviews on Newegg. Any chance you can try a different PSU?

Even w/o the not so shiny reviews, that it's a carryover, and the 1080 GPU, yea. I have to agree that you should might maybe put a decent 650w-700w in to test that this isn't related to the current PSU.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:03am
Severap things I'm wondering about.

The main one being your PSU. It has quite a few bad reviews on Newegg. Any chance you can try a different PSU?

Have you tried a different video driver version? Nvidia has had bad new driver versions that were removed not long ago.

Is your memory running at 2400, and in the A2 and B2 slots?

Have you tried clearing the UEFI/BIOS since installing the MSI card?

Have you tried a different monitoring program besides SpeedFan? MSI Afterburner for example, or HWiNFO64. For a second opinion on your various temperatures.

I recently worked on a PC that had a similar GTX 1080 video card, that would fail during gaming, or not work at all when starting the PC. Same CPU as yours, different board, and similar, basic PSU. I got it working by using a stronger PSU, but noticed something else.

GTX 1080 video cards tend to be heavy, since they are built well. But they tend to lean to one side of the PCIe x16 slot because of their weight. When you mount the video card in the slot, look at the end of the card that has the cable connections. Make sure the edges of the cable connections are parallel to the metal strips on the PC case between the removable slot covers, before you clamp the video card into position with the thumbscrews in the case. The metal strips are just a reference point to make sure the card is not leaning one way or the other.

Be sure to use two thumbscrews to hold the card securely, since the card's connection in the PCIe x16 slot does not provide much mechanical support. The only real support is where you clamp the card into position onto the PC case. Be sure that the locking tab on the PCIe x16 slot is in the locked position. Also be sure the power cables to the video card are not pulling or pushing on the card, and connect them after the card is clamped into position.

eLTee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eLTee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 6:11am
     Hello, first time poster here. I very recently built a new system and am having a major issue that is making the computer virtually unusable.

After some time of regular use, the computer will freeze/hang and all I can do is reboot. I have not noticed any particular actions causing this behavior, but it does seem to happen faster when gaming. It also seems to freeze faster after each successive reboot, sometimes even freezing before I can log in. Usually, after the system has been powered off for a while, I can get about 20min-1hr of use in before the problems occurs, then after rebooting I get much less time. This seems to indicate a thermal issue, but using SpeedFan, it appears that all of my component temperatures are fine (CPU ~35-40C, GPU ~50C) and I experience the freezing during non-intensive tasks as well anyways. For the most part, the behavior upon freezing is just the screen locking up and the sound first stuttering then cutting out completely. The lights and fans on the computer continue to run. Sometimes, the monitor will indicate no video input when the problem occurs and rarely, the system will reset itself.

Here are my specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 1600 w/ stock cooler
  • ASRock AB350M Pro4
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 F4-2400C15D-16GVR
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1080 ARMOR 8G
  • Corsair CX600M PSU (which I transferred over from my old build)
  • Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SSD
  • WD Blue 1TB HDD (also transferred from previous build, now secondary drive)
I am running a new copy of Windows 10 Pro on the SSD as the primary drive. I believe I have updated all of the necessary drivers (video, chipset, audio) and have the latest Windows updates. I tried updating to the new BIOS (3.10) but the problem persisted. I tried changing power settings. I tried looking in Event Viewer after the system froze and I rebooted (no relevant errors). I tried running the system with just the HDD (with a different copy of Windows) and just the SSD, the problem occurred in both cases. I tried running System File Checker in Windows. I tried doing a system restore to right after Windows was installed. I am running the RAM in the recommended slots for 2400, A2 and B2, and a run of MemTest indicates that the memory is not faulty. However, I did notice recently that this particular RAM is not listed under the Memory QVL of my motherboard, which could be an issue.

I have recently tried overclocking the CPU to see if that made a difference (3700 MHz @ 1.3 V) but it did not. Additionally, I was running the system beforehand with a different GPU and I still had this problem, so that does not seem to be the issue either. I have read up on an FMA3 issue that AMD acknowledged in the past which seemed to be causing a similar behavior to mine, but this was supposedly fixed in AGESA 1.0.0.4, whereas I am on 1.0.0.6b. I am pretty much out of ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem and think that it may just be a motherboard issue. So, here I am, hoping for help.

Thanks.

Edited by eLTee - 19 Oct 2017 at 5:56am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic