ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Issue with Windows Installation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 8:35am
Originally posted by K3LV1N_93 K3LV1N_93 wrote:

MisterJ/John The system is now running fine on the Pre-installed W10 -64bit after cloning it for the second time but it is doing the same thing on windows 10 installation even changing the dim slot 3-4 times did not do the trick.....  Cry

Thanks
Kelvin

One quick question, is this your PSU (sorry, the forum link tool fails on URLs that contain a '?'):

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-W1-0500-KR

Given that the PC can run fine indefinitely in the UEFI/BIOS, and even on a Windows 10 installation from an Intel chipset PC, the obvious thing to check is the Windows 10 installation media on the USB flash drive.

You used the Windows Media Creation Tool to download a Windows 10 ISO, correct? At the end of the download I assume you chose the Create USB flash drive option from the Creation Tool, is that right?

Other questions:

When you try to install Win 10 from the USB flash drive, do you have any other drives connected to the PC besides the target drive for Windows 10? What drive is that?

When you boot the USB Win 10 installation flash drive, did you ever look in the Boot Order to check what the entry for that flash drive is?

If you were using one of the new NVMe SSDs, you would need to select the boot order entry that is, "UEFI: <flash drive name>". You can also use that entry with SATA SSDs, and probably most if not all modern HDDs.

Otherwise, you would have an entry in the Boot Order of, "AHCI: <flash drive name>" or "RAID: <flash drive name>". Are you using RAID as the SATA mode?

I use the Media Creation Tool to download the Win 10 ISO, but create the USB flash drive manually. Yes, I don't trust MSoft to do who knows what in that step.

All you do is go to the Win 10 ISO folder, right click on it and select Mount. Then select all the files in that folder (highlighted) and then right click again and select, Send to..., and choose the USB flash drive you are using. The USB flash drive should really be empty when you create it like this, and will take a few minutes to complete, depending upon the flash drive and USB port you are using.

You can start from scratch with the USB flash drive just using Windows Disk Management. Find the USB flash drive in DM, right click on it and select Delete Volume. Then right click on it again and select Create Simple Volume. Follow the prompts and on the Format Partition screen, be sure the File system is FAT32. Give it a volume name and complete the process. Nothing special needed to make it bootable.

BTW, what size USB flash drive are you using? USB 2.0 or 3.0? Just checking, sometimes large capacity USB flash drives don't work right for some reason, but I've never had a reset ever happen during a Windows installation.

Open question, is it possible that the 4GB of memory being used is not enough for the Win 10 installation to use? Kinda hard to monitor memory usage at that time, but I'm sure I've never used less than 8GB in any PC during a Windows installation.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 8:52am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

Is your laptop Intel based?  If so, I would expect this to be a serious problem.  Windows loads different versions of some files as a function of Intel/AMD.  Please post the make/model of your power supply.  If it is really only 500 watts, that may be a problem.  If you will place your system specifications in your signature, as I have, it will make it easier for us to use.  Do you have an 8-pin or 4+4-pin and a 4-pin power cable connected to your CPU?  Can you borrow a stouter PS - perhaps 650 Watts with both an 8-pin (or 4+4) and a 4-pin CPU connector?  Enjoy, John.

MisterJ, I agree about using a Windows installation done on completely different hardware. How much different can you get than an Intel laptop and Ryzen PC?

While I would never suggest using a Windows installation like this to anyone, I have seen it work myself! Or at least it worked for the very short time I used a PC in this way.

Long story short, I put the wrong drive in a PC, only to discover I did while Windows was almost done booting. I put a 960 EVO from an Intel Z270 board Win 10 installation into my X370 Ryzen board PC, and it booted fine to the desktop! Only an Intel LAN chip was the same between the two boards. I almost immediately shutdown the PC, but that it actually booted Windows surprised me. I should have checked Device Manager first, but I forgot. I'm sure all kinds of things would have gone wrong if I ran a program like the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, Windows over clocking and stress testing program on the Ryzen PC. LOL

So things like the above works, but a PC resets during a Windows installation... Pinch

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 9:10am
Thanks, parsec.  I have seen a number of things work that should not have.  Perhaps K3LV1N_93 should tell us what he is DLing from MS and we can check the hash codes.  Does the video card being used draw much power?  500 watts seems weak to me.  I just DLed the MB manual and see that the MB does not have a 4-pin CPU power connector - guess I should stop asking about it.  Will wait and see what transpires.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
og_reborn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote og_reborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:03pm
Please forgive me if this is totally off base as I am a newbie but I also had problems installing windows from a USB key, and in a review for the motherboard on newegg of all places, someone had said to disable IOMMU in the BIOS before installing. I tried it and it worked. I was able to turn IOMMU back on afterwards no problem. Perhaps that is not relevant here but it would be easy to try?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by og_reborn og_reborn wrote:

Please forgive me if this is totally off base as I am a newbie but I also had problems installing windows from a USB key, and in a review for the motherboard on newegg of all places, someone had said to disable IOMMU in the BIOS before installing. I tried it and it worked. I was able to turn IOMMU back on afterwards no problem. Perhaps that is not relevant here but it would be easy to try?

if a problem isnt yet solved then any sensible suggestion IS ALWAYS welcomeSmile
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:17pm
og_reborn, you have told us nothing about your system.  Turning off IOMMU is to allow installing RS1 W10 on Threadripper which only supports RS2 and higher.  If you used the media creator from MS and got the latest W10, this is not your problem and turning off IOMMU should not help.  From Wikipedia (RS is Redstone).
Version Code name Marketing name Release date Support until[2] Latest build
Mainstream LTSC PC Mobile
1507 Threshold 1 N/A July 29, 2015 May 9, 2017 October 14, 2025 10240 N/A
1511 Threshold 2 November Update November 10, 2015 October 10, 2017 N/A 10586 10586
1607 Redstone 1 Anniversary Update August 2, 2016 March 2018 October 13, 2026 14393 14393
1703 Redstone 2 Creators Update April 5, 2017 September 2018 N/A 15063 15063
1709 Redstone 3 Fall Creators Update October 17, 2017 TBA TBA 16299 15254
1803 Redstone 4 TBA Early 2018 TBA TBA 17004 N/A
Legend:
Old version
Older version, still supported
Latest version
Latest preview version
If you continue to have problems, please open a new thread and include your system specifications in your signature as I have.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
K3LV1N_93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K3LV1N_93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:37pm
Hi,  Great news that I have finally got success to install a fresh copy of Windows but the issue was with the igpu in the apu and i have replaced it with a new one and the drivers for it have installed without restarting the system and i will keep an eye with on temps Party

Thank you for your help

Thanks
Kelvin
K.ELKS
K3LV1N_93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K3LV1N_93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

Thanks, parsec.  I have seen a number of things work that should not have.  Perhaps K3LV1N_93 should tell us what he is DLing from MS and we can check the hash codes.  Does the video card being used draw much power?  500 watts seems weak to me.  I just DLed the MB manual and see that the MB does not have a 4-pin CPU power connector - guess I should stop asking about it.  Will wait and see what transpires.  Enjoy, John.

Ok, i will upgrade the psu as soon as i can but will an 600w will work fine?
K.ELKS
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:07am
K3LVIN_93, I would suggest at least 650 Watts if you can swing it.  Enjoy, John.
K3LV1N_93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K3LV1N_93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 4:30am
Ok John, Thank you Star

Thanks
Kelvin
K.ELKS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic