ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installing aftermarket VRM & MOSFET heatsinks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin2win14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing aftermarket VRM & MOSFET heatsinks
    Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 6:59pm
Hi all,

I own the Asrock Fatal1ty AB350 gaming ITX motherboard, the one with the "good" VRM heatsinks. However, I still feel like I want to cool my VRM's and MOSFETs more effectively. Considering that I will switch from a low profile CPU cooler to a full size cooler, I will remove the little cooling that is provided to the VRM's through the low profile cooler. I was wondering if it is worth it buying aftermarket VRM and MOSFET heatsinks? Would I see a huge improvement in cooling? Thanks for the help.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 7:24pm
well anything is usually better than no-thing Smile

amazon etc are full of little heatsinks in sets or singular
(im not an avid fan of these thermal stickers, i like to use a proper arctic cooling thermal glue)

i had a similar issue with my phenom2 x4 rig ,that didnt even have chipset cooling i ended up cutting up an old pent4 heatsink into strips and using that glued onto the vrms, same issue as your facing the big feck off cpu cooler was sidedraught so no air was forced over the chipset/vrm area
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Robin2win14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin2win14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 4:24pm
Hi,

Thanks for your answer! I guess you are right, anything is better than nothing. I assume MOSFET heatsinks are probably a universal size? I will google this anyway and find the perfect product. I will take your advice and use some better quality thermal glue also. Since my board does not have VRM temperature sensors (what) and I don't own an expensive thermal camera, I'll just go ahead and assume the best :P
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 5:57pm
make sure you have some intake and exhaust airflow (eg case fans)

heres a similar picture to what i made for my phenom x4 board

http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/asus/m3a78-t/vrmchill.jpg

Edited by datonyb - 14 Oct 2017 at 1:52am
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic