ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driver for Mouse and keyboard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossdorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driver for Mouse and keyboard
    Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 9:45am
Hello,

I have been hit hard with a virus (on a different computer than this one).

So, I wanted to re-install win 7, but could not because there was no cursor, no mouse, no keyboard, no way of input to choose or confirm anything.

When I tried to install Win 8, even XP, same problem.

I then tried a Linux OS.... and the Mouse worked immediately and I could install, works fine.

(All OSs are on DVDs)

I tried to install the Win OSs over the Linux??.nothing, three times?? no mouse

I then used the same Win 7 DVD (which has worked even on that computer more than once, and still works on two other computers) to install Win 7 on this vintage HP laptop and?? No problem at all.

Now, I maybe wrong here, but it is the BIOS that is supposed to provide for the initial installation? (I do not know too much about computers)

So, I entered the set up and found all the USB settings activated??is there anything that needs updating, maybe?

I am using an ASRock B85M C2  1150 DDR3 mATX  

Win 7 was installed on a HDD in that computer until last year, when I added an SSD and it is was installed and infected on that SSD.

There is an  i5 CPU and an NVidia Graphics Card.

(After installing Linux, it also did not work properly either at first, until Linux installed a NVIdia driver)

Is it possible that the virus went through Win 7 to other parts of the computer, if yes, how can I find out? Or, does it stay on the SSD so wiping it completely and carefully should delete it?

Thanks, RD

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 12:22pm
So you are saying that when you tried to install Windows 7 or Linux from a DVD in your optical disk drive in the infected PC, that your mouse and keyboard would not work when the Windows 7 or Linux installation process began? Is that correct?

If so, you may have a bad rootkit type of virus that affected your BIOS.

A BIOS only provides basic mouse support. You can only update an entire BIOS, not parts of it.

It seems that at least one of the disk drives on that PC is infected with the virus, and probably all of them.

Was the Linux installation that worked on a separate partition than the Windows installation? It seems it was on the same disk drive, correct?

What kind of mouse and keyboard are you using? Wireless or wired connection?
rossdorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossdorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 1:04pm
By now I have found that the problem is elsewhere.

The virus has created a partition on the SSD that canmot be accessed or deleted, even by parted magic and the SSD also cannot be wiped empty, even by Parted Magic.

Any idea what might work?

Edited by rossdorn - 13 Aug 2015 at 3:32pm
rossdorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossdorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 11:53am
Problem solved, close thread
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic