ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Win 7 USB Patcher FREEZING on "Formatting drive"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Win 7 USB Patcher FREEZING on "Formatting drive"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dochartaigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Win 7 USB Patcher FREEZING on "Formatting drive"
    Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 4:03am
I have an "ASRock H270M-ITX/ac LGA 1151 Intel H270 Mini ITX Motherboard", with an Intel G4400 processor. 

I am trying to use the "Windows 7 USB Patcher ver:2.0.16" (downloaded from the support section of that exact motherboards' ASRock webpage). I am choosing to make a [patched] bootable USB, and am selecting to make that from a Windows 7 ISO file I have on my desktop. It will not get past the "Formatting drive" section. 

I have let it run 3 times now, on 3 different Windows computers (Windows 7 computer, Windows 10 with the same ASRock motherboard in it, and on a Mac running bootcamp with Windows 10), using two different known-working USB drives (previously formatted NTFS, and fat32), for well 2-3 hours on each machine...

Please help as the programs I need to run only work in Windows 7, so running Windows 10 is not an option.

Edited by Dochartaigh - 16 Oct 2017 at 4:17am
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:50am

Dear Dochartaigh,

Thank you for choosing ASRock.

Regarding your case, please download the Windows 7 USB Patcher from below link and try it again, usually the process will cause over hours, depends on your USB device.

Windows 7 USB Patcher for Intel 200 Series:

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Utility/UsbPatcher/Win7UsbPatcher(v2.0.16).zip

You can also download "Intel Windows 7 USB 3.0 Creator Utility" and follow the instructions on Intel's official website.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Thank you!

Yours truly,

ASRock TSD

Dochartaigh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dochartaigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 11:52pm
Hello, I would try this yourself and see if it works for you. I have a feeling it won't. I'm also using Sandisk Extreme PRO USB sticks which read/write at well over 200mb/sec (they will write the entire 3+GB Windows ISO to USB stick in about 15-20 seconds for example) - so it's not simply just a matter of waiting longer.

I did however get this to work by having your program write the modified Windows image to my hard drive INSTEAD of to the USB stick. Extra steps, and took me an entire day to finally figure this out and get it done (after trying all those hours to get it to write to the USB stick itself), but it worked at least.

If you also google this problem you'll find hundreds of posts about this same exact problem happening to others - many people posted on this same forum we're on right now as well. It's a problem with your software - not the end user I'm sorry to say.

Edited by Dochartaigh - 18 Oct 2017 at 11:54pm
Hyper1on View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyper1on Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 1:49pm
The same exact thing is happening to me. When you say 'modified Windows image to my hard drive instead of to the USB stick' you mean just using your main C drive? Where do the resulting unpacked ISO files go? Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic