ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z270 Extreme 4 - ram compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z270 Extreme 4 - ram compatibility
    Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 4:56am
Hi,
i have built computers before but its been a long time so i am really rusty at this. I am trying to help a friend who ordered a number of parts from newegg and can not get them to post. all parts are new and from newegg.

ASRock Z270 Extreme 4 LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Motherboards - Intel
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model CMK8GX4M2B3000C15
EVGA 500 W1 100-W1-0500-KR 80+ WHITE 500W Power Supply
Intel Core i5-7500 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80677I57500

https://ark.intel.com/products/97123/Intel-Core-i5-7500-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

the ram he purchased was corsair CMK8GX4M2B3000C15
which i see is not on the list of approved ram unfortunately. I am unable to get a video signal out to dvi or vga/db-15, i have tried two different monitors. lights come on the board, cpu fan spins up, but i get nothing out.

QUESTIONS:

1. would the above model of ram prevent a post / video out?
2. the specs on the cpu say "DDR4-2133/2400, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V" ...does that really mean this cpu will only work with those DDR versions?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:28am
Originally posted by tlove tlove wrote:

Hi,
i have built computers before but its been a long time so i am really rusty at this. I am trying to help a friend who ordered a number of parts from newegg and can not get them to post. all parts are new and from newegg.

ASRock Z270 Extreme 4 LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Motherboards - Intel
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model CMK8GX4M2B3000C15
EVGA 500 W1 100-W1-0500-KR 80+ WHITE 500W Power Supply
Intel Core i5-7500 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80677I57500

https://ark.intel.com/products/97123/Intel-Core-i5-7500-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

the ram he purchased was corsair CMK8GX4M2B3000C15
which i see is not on the list of approved ram unfortunately. I am unable to get a video signal out to dvi or vga/db-15, i have tried two different monitors. lights come on the board, cpu fan spins up, but i get nothing out.

QUESTIONS:

1. would the above model of ram prevent a post / video out?
2. the specs on the cpu say "DDR4-2133/2400, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V" ...does that really mean this cpu will only work with those DDR versions?

That Corsair memory is most likely compatible with the memory controller in the i5-7500 CPU. That memory is according to Corsair compatible with Intel 100 series chipset boards/processors, that are also compatible with Kaby Lake processors, including the i5-7500.

While the over clocked speed rating of this memory is 3000, the default standard speed is 2133, and it will operate at 2133 automatically unless the XMP profile is enabled or the memory speed is set manually to a higher speed. So the memory speed is not the problem.

The memory should be installed in the A2 and B2 slots when using a kit with two DIMMs/sticks.

Do you have both the 24 pin ATX and 4/8 pin CPU power cables connected to the board? Both must be connected or the CPU will not operate.

Be certain that the memory is fully seated in the DIMM slots, and the locking tab on the one side of the slot is closed. With the memory in the slot, look at the edge of the memory slot as a reference to check if the memory is fully seated in the full length of the slot.

If using both DIMMs together does not work, try using one at a time in case one of them is defective. Insert one DIMM in either the A2 or B2 slot.

I assume you are using the Intel graphics from the CPU, and not a video card?

Do you know how to clear the BIOS/CMOS with the jumper on the board? That procedure is described in the board's manual, and sometimes helps when a board won't POST.

tlove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 2:21pm
Thank You very much Parsec

1. i am using the onboard video (or trying to at least), i took the video card out he had put in.

2. i did the cmos jumper reset

3. i have plugged and replugged everything, i think, including the ram, but ill go over it again when i see the machine again which wont be till later this coming week.

4. yes i tried just one chip but its good to get a clear message on the A2/B2 slots so i will try that also all over again.

Once again thank you for your help and if you think of anything else or think im missing something let me know.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 10:04am

Dear Tlove,

Thank you for choosing ASRock.

In this case, we have tested CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 which is the 8GB x2 in our lab and can boot up properly. The memory module you have used is 4GB version should also works properly,

We would like to provide some suggestion to you.

1.       Unplug the power supply power cord.

2.       Press the power button about 5 seconds.

3.       Move the CMOS jumper from 12 to 23 positions.

4.       Remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes, and put everything back.

5.       Only install CPU and one stick memory to check if the system can boot into BIOS properly.

6.       Please try to install one stick memory at A1, B1, A2 and B2 slot to check if the system can boot into BIOS properly.

7.       Reinstall CPU and check if CPU socket pin is fine.

8.       If it is possible, please change another CPU or DRAM to check if the system can boot into BIOS properly.

Thank you!

Yours truly,

ASRock TSD

tlove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 3:02am
hi all, well i am stumped, i can not get video out on this thing

with the wildfires where i live everything had to go to the back burner, i am just getting back to this kids computer today 10 days after you posted your instructions. unfortunately for this kid his 60 days to rma period ran out even before he got it to me. so he is stuck with this set of gear. it would be great to figure out whats not working and replace it.

I have followed your instructions but gone even farther

1. removed board from case, positioned next to the case on a nice piece of foam
2. rewired in both the 24 pin ATX and 4/8 pin CPU power cables and just the power switch
3. connect to my LCD with a dvi-d cable and a d-sub vga also
4. removed one stick of ram, remaining is in a2 slot
5. ran your cmos instruction pattern
6. reset the CPU and inspected it, looks fine
7. tried both the onboard video and tried the geforce gtx 1060 card he bought
8. ran your ram in each slot instruction pattern and i did it separately for each stick so it took awhile 

my question:
1. would this board post to video out if the CPU were dead?

what i can not isolate due to limited resources
1. i don't have a spare power supply any longer since its been so long since i built a machine
2. i don't have a spare CPU that would work in this machine

once again any help is greatly appreciated!
tlove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 12:38pm
Yeah this board was dead out of the box. I was out visiting my mom and saw a fry's so i just went ahead and bought some parts to further isolate and diagnose the problem. i picked up a 50$ board and a 40$ power supply. wired them up with the cpu and everything was fine, tested the board against the previous power supply and it still posted fine. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic