ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen ITX MB swap, both ASRock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryzen ITX MB swap, both ASRock
    Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 7:45pm
Thanks to the embers here, I installed  my Samsung  EVO M.2 and Win 10 onto my ASRock AB350Fatal1ty Gaming ITX, which has been running great.
However, seems I have won a competition and an ASRock X370 ITX is on its way to me!
If I lift the M.2 from the 350, and use it in the X370, will it detect and run? or is it more complicted than that?..........Only the OS on the M.2 so no data at risk or to port.
PS I will be using a Raven Ridge APU on the 370,  I have an R3 1200 on the 350
ASRock X370-ITX BIOS 4.50
R5 2600    Cryorig C7
EVGA GTX 950 75w
2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 2933
960Evo M.2 256GB, Firecuda 1TB
Win 10 Pro 64 1803
G-Unique Archdaemon 300 Watt
Lian-li Q21B
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by stree stree wrote:

Thanks to the embers here, I installed  my Samsung  EVO M.2 and Win 10 onto my ASRock AB350Fatal1ty Gaming ITX, which has been running great.
However, seems I have won a competition and an ASRock X370 ITX is on its way to me!
If I lift the M.2 from the 350, and use it in the X370, will it detect and run? or is it more complicted than that?..........Only the OS on the M.2 so no data at risk or to port.
PS I will be using a Raven Ridge APU on the 370,  I have an R3 1200 on the 350

We normally do not recommend using an OS installation done on one mother board, later used on another. Strange problems can happen, which are hard to diagnose and fix besides installing the OS again.

But we have seen IMO amazing things happen when doing this. A Windows 10 installation done on an AMD chipset/processor board simply connected to an Intel chipset/processor board booted right up and worked. I did a vaguely similar thing myself by accident, two different Intel chipset boards, and it also booted up fine. I did not use it long term that way so I don't know if I would have had any problems.

Put it this way, what have you got to lose? If it boots fine, and it probably will, just definitely run the AMD chipset file installation program again. It should be easy to check which basic hardware is different between the two boards, like audio and networking chips, and just run the driver installation programs for them. Then remove the drivers for hardware that is no longer used, which may not even be necessary but a good idea IMO. Then check Device Manager for any problem devices, fix anything found, and see how it goes. That it works may be a behavior of Windows 10 that we don't get in earlier versions.

On the initial boot on the new board, Windows 10 will probably do a driver update of its own. So the first boot may be a little slower, and the updates might continue for a while once the Windows desktop is displayed. You might end up with generic Windows drivers in some cases, so I still suggest running the AMD chipset driver installation program, and others if necessary.

Since you changed mother boards, which is what Windows uses to detect a change in a PC (like installing the same Windows license on two different boards/PCs) you will likely need to activate Windows manually via the 800 number they will display for you, when it nags you about this.

It would be nice if you told us how it worked for you.

stree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 9:17pm
Well, this is later than intended................but just got round to lifting everything out of the B350 and re-installed to the X370 today......, just kept the secondary data drive unplugged, so just the M.2 live.
Powered up.............and very fast boot straight into windows........and all looks well............so just going to do some tidying up, drivers etc.. and see how it goes...............
But does look like just a simple CPU-APU swap once Raven ridge is available.
R5 2600    Cryorig C7
EVGA GTX 950 75w
Win 10 Pro 64 1803
Lian-li Q21B
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 9:33pm
windows 10 is less kinky when u switch motherboards as long the old motherboard was not using ide and u switched to ahci (as ide is not supported on new mobos anymore)
when i switched my ssd from pc to notebook it needed just few drivers, no bsod at startup like on previous windowses
stree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 1:08am
Spoke a bit too soon.....data disk,  Seagate Firecuda 1TB is  appearing in BIOS, looks OK there, but not seen in windows............spinning.......... I swapped SATA ports and cable, no change...........Does it  need mounting again? not sure what is going on... Drive is only a month or 2 old and was running fine.......
Also swapped it for a known good Toshiba 2.5" HDD but same thing with that, spinning shows in BIOS but not windows
R5 2600    Cryorig C7
EVGA GTX 950 75w
Win 10 Pro 64 1803
Lian-li Q21B
stree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 1:10am
Whoooops.guess what ....... directly I posted that, checked file explorer and it is back online!
Even more puzzled now
R5 2600    Cryorig C7
EVGA GTX 950 75w
Win 10 Pro 64 1803
Lian-li Q21B
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by stree stree wrote:

Whoooops.guess what ....... directly I posted that, checked file explorer and it is back online!
Even more puzzled now

Check Windows Update log.

Most likely it downloaded and (re-)applied an AMD Chipset Driver.

You should have done that after the swap anyways. ie: B350 to X370.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic