ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - [Linux] Freezes on Asrock X370 Taichi + C6 enabled
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Linux] Freezes on Asrock X370 Taichi + C6 enabled

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 6:19am
Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

The XMP profile contains values determined by the manufacturer and the BIOS reads the values from the profile. Even if it needs to calculate something, every manufacturer will rather use safe values than tight values in order to not cause instabilities.

Right, but that doesn't really answer the question, how values provided by the above calculator produce more stable result, than values set by the firmware for the profile.

Furthermore, XMP is more accurately Intel XMP, which means that the overclocked profiles are not really specified with Ryzen in mind (with maybe the exception of the few DDR4 modules that are meant for Ryzen).

That can be the difference, but at least in my case the RAM is specifically supposed to be for Ryzen (by G.Skill), so whatever profile is provided should be supposedly good already?

Then there's the fact that manufacturers rarely push their hardware to the absolute limit. Think of factory overclocked GPUs; some of them still have noticeable headroom for manual overclocking.

That's as above. Supposedly that calculator can produce values that are more stable for the same frequency. My point is not to push the RAM to the limit, but to make it work stably to begin with at the frequency it was made for (3200 MHz).
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 7:05am
I think I misunderstood you a bit, sorry about that.

Originally posted by shmerl shmerl wrote:

Right, but that doesn't really answer the question, how values provided by the above calculator produce more stable result, than values set by the firmware for the profile.

That's a good question. In theory the manufacturer should have the resources and know-how to do a better job than a seemingly simple software made by one overclocking enthusiast(?). I haven't gotten around to using the software myself, but my guess - and it's only a guess at this point - is that with the values from Typhoon the program can calculate the optimal values for your exact system, whereas the values provided by the manufacturer are somewhat generic and meant to be a "one size fits most"-type of solution.

Quote That can be the difference, but at least in my case the RAM is specifically supposed to be for Ryzen (by G.Skill), so whatever profile is provided should be supposedly good already?

Good point, I hadn't paid attention to the exact RAM modules you have. Have you tried running MemTest86 to test your RAM kit? Or have you considered switching to Debian stable, to see if that helps? Or maybe try some other distro, like Fedora 27 or CentOS 7.1711 (depending on whether you think bleeding edge might have better chances of working or not)? You could even leave your current installation intact and just make a live USB for testing purposes.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 7:28am
ok let me clear a few points up

the pre programmed xmp is meant for intel , and am4 really dosnt do well at using these

next point the flarex designed for ryzen STILL dosnt work as well as advertised it was picked timings from a very early stage in am4 launch

next point the calculator dosnt read different generated timings depending on system if you read the instructions it tells you to scroll down and read the xmp profile ,entering these into calculator basically tells the p[rogram the quaility of the ram chips, this then works off tables to produce the ryzen tested and tweaked timings

example petrolheads tridents have highly binned samsung b dies which would have better xmp timings than my 3200 cl15 samsung b dies tridentz
so some of his suggested settings would be a click or two lower than the results given for my sticks

in particular the flarex has some timings that really struggle and get loosened up a little ,and quite a lot of timings way to loose so get tightened for better performance

i know it sounds strange that gskill cant update the flarex with better knowledge now ,but hey they just want your money,like the new flarex for threadripper.............seems it has identical timings to the ryzen flarex haha  but costs you more as its for threadripper
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 7:30am
p.s. you dont need pirated windows

its free install from microsoft

google mediacreationtool

you get a week or so to evaluate it ,then it disables some useless stuff but still works with a tiny annoying icon bottom right of screen

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 7:36am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

next point the calculator dosnt read different generated timings depending on system if you read the instructions it tells you to scroll down and read the xmp profile ,entering these into calculator basically tells the p[rogram the quaility of the ram chips, this then works off tables to produce the ryzen tested and tweaked timings

I didn't think the calc reads anything, but assumed may be Thaiphoon tool does. From what you explain, Thaiphoon step can simply be skipped, if needed values can be obtained otherwise (they should be fixed for each model).

This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-XkaF_Rp0c uses timing input and "memory type". I suppose I need to determine that for my flare x. And then figure out how to run actual calculator.

Edited by shmerl - 22 Dec 2017 at 7:37am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 7:40am
i asked for someone to post a screenshot of your ram ,someone should have it saved to desktop

and no i didnt say calculator reads it ,as per the instructions thaiphoon reads it scroll to bottom xmp change to show results in nanoseconds and enter them into calc.

shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 8:50am
I saw, thanks! Trying one suggestion from there now.
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 8:48am
Here are suggested timings from overclock.net:

They worked out very well! No freezes now. What I'm surprised about is, that support staff from G.Skill forum didn't offer anything of the sort.

Edited by shmerl - 24 Dec 2017 at 8:48am
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 9:54am
Nope, soon after writing the comment I got another freeze %)
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 2:51am
I'm now testing one setting I never tried before. Asrock has "voltage mode" between stable and overlock. I set it to overclock (apparently it uses wider ranges of voltages). So far so good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic