ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Taichi x399 cannot install windows in RAID mode
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi x399 cannot install windows in RAID mode

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi x399 cannot install windows in RAID mode
    Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 5:19am
Thanks, free-eagle.  Perhaps I will give it a go in a few days and see if building a RAID is any better.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
free-eagle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote free-eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 1:55am
just updateted bios 1.7 to 1.8 without any problems. the raid is still stable, no ghost array or drives.
X399 Taichi (Bios 2.0), TR 1920X, 32 GB GSKILL F4-3600C16D-16GTZSW, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB (RAID 0),Crucial 1 TB SSD, 2x 4TB Seagate HDD (RAID 1), Zotac 1080TI AMP Extreme, Windows 10 Pro (1709)
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 5:17am
daddyo, I have always had diskpart/clean work for me on a previous RAID drive.  The array must be broken (Delete Array).  I then open diskpart in an Administrator command Prompt, select the drive, run clean then convert to GPT.  diskpart is unforgiving!  The correct disk must be selected and when clear is issued, diskpart says nothing and asks nothing except disk cleaned successfully.  I have posted more detailed instructions in this forum.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 3:01am
Hey Guys,

I'm chiming in after another weekend of troubleshooting. I'm afraid I don't have anything great to report, but some validation that could still be of help.

I had no problems with ghost arrays in UEFI, creating and deleting arrays was pretty reliable, as long as I saved and rebooted to UEFI after each such operation. I still could NOT for the life of me push the windows installation to go through on a target drive, a single drive configured as a "Volume". This is the configuration that is expected to be set when you want to create a JBOD array. Perhaps that is the caveat, this array only has one drive, and thus might not be "Enabled". IF that is the case, there is no obvious way whatsoever to leave a single volume outside of a RAID array, while in RAID mode.   
It didn't work either when I tried installing windows on this drive with no arrays created yet. 

Looking at the RAID config table in the docs (the one you posted here), I also did not like the known issues listed. Given the trouble I had with RAID, what others reported, and the reliability issues listed, I decided it would be wise to give up and not trust my data to be safe on this garbage implementation.

I switched back to SATA and windows is running smoothly. I'll think of another way to secure my data from drive failure, like investing in a small NAS. If I had worked for the time I took troubleshooting this, I would have earned that NAS already.  As for i/o performance, I'll have to do without it, or buy a RAID card later.

One thing I did notice when I installed my system in SATA mode is that the one HDD that was part of an array was being read by Windows as a partitioned disk, and nothing I did would restore it to a single drive. none of the windows utilities could do anything about that. I ended up installing Minitool partition Wizard and was able to convert my drive back to a GPT volume, enabling all 8 TB as a single drive. I think the array creation process might leave behind some metadata on the drives that cause windows' disk management tool to report undesired drive profiles. Is that fixed with the RAID drivers installed? I don't know, food for thought. I suspect the weirdness you are seeing in Windows has to do with bad drivers/UEFI RAID software, rather than a hardware issue on your motherboard. But why not RMA it if you still can...

Good luck guys!
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 12:38am
Thanks, parsec, all help is appreciated.  You never know when the key will be triggered.  As I said I am beginning to consider a broken board.  I will see where my ASRock ticket goes.  I don't see where you are seeing "Array 6 is shown both as 1.0TB and 748.5GB".  The 748.5 GB is my three 250 GB RAID0. The 1.0 TB is my WD Black, normal SATA drive not RAID in any way and never was.  I do believe diskpart/clean will clean up a disk IF the RAID array is broken first.  I have done this many times and the drive is usable in W10.  Here is the Disk Management image of one I have not run diskpart/clean on:

I agree that the "Ghost disks" are a bug, but probably a manifestation of the RAID hidden storage in BIOS that I cannot clear.  Doing a Delete Array on each array/disk does get rid of all the Ghosts.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote free-eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 4:02pm
@Parsec: There are no more ghost arrays or drives for me in raidxpert and also in bios.
i initialy wanted to keep some data on a single drive and that was the error because of the metadata on it. in the bios you can delete arrays and initialize/delete disks.

I wonder what happens when a new bios or drivers appear :-)
X399 Taichi (Bios 2.0), TR 1920X, 32 GB GSKILL F4-3600C16D-16GTZSW, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB (RAID 0),Crucial 1 TB SSD, 2x 4TB Seagate HDD (RAID 1), Zotac 1080TI AMP Extreme, Windows 10 Pro (1709)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 11:18am
MisterJ, I know my comments aren't helping you much at all, but I remain curious about your problems.

free-eagle's comments about the ghost arrays are interesting, and possibly indicate a basic bug in the AMD NVMe RAIDXpert2 software in the UEFI and Windows.

One thing I noticed in your screen shot is your Array 6 seems to be the only real RAID 0 array that exists. Array 1 is shown both as 1.0TB and 748.5GB, in the drop down list and the View Associated Physical Disk screen, respectively. Since you only have three, 250GB 960 EVOs, the majority of the drop down list entries seem to be anomalous, ghost entries. Also, how are there four 250GB drives in the drop down list? Software bug or multiple metadata partitions on one of the SSDs?

But we have also seen single, non-RAID drives classified as RAID arrays in RAIDXpert2. When I say we, I mean my own SATA SSDs are listed that way.

The ghost entries make me think the three drives have RAID metadata partitions (data describing the RAID array) from previous array creation attempts. As if it was not removed when (if) you deleted the RAID array using RAIDXpert2. That could be a bug in RAIDXpert2. Your theory about a successful first attempt at array creation working, but any initial failure causing continued failures, even after following the correct procedure of array deletion and (re) creation, would seem to fit my scenario about remnant RAID metadata.

I just recalled from my experience with Intel IRST RAID 0 arrays, that using the Diskpart clean command did not remove the Intel RAID metadata from drives that were part of a RAID 0 array. I would run clean on a drive from a RAID array, but afterwards Disk Management would not let me partition and format it. I had to connect all the drives used in the RAID 0 array, run the Intel IRST utility, and delete the RAID 0 array before the drives were back to normal. Only then could I use the drives in Windows.

I would not trust Diskpart's clean command to provide a drive free of the RAID metadata. I would expect an SSD Secure Erase operation to completely clean the RAID metadata from the SSDs. I think you would need to create a DOS bootable USB drive in the Samsung Magician software to secure erase your 960 EVOs.

free-eagle's comments seem to contradict my ideas, if the ghost arrays continue to appear. But he did seem to also say clearing everything (at one time?) caused his eventual success. Unless he did something else he did not mention. I am uncertain if he still gets the ghost arrays in the UEFI with his successful Windows 10 installation.

I'm curious what the Windows 10 installation program sees as a drive when you attempted an install. Do you only get a ~750GB drive as a choice, before or after installing the F6 drivers? Do any ghost drives appear along with the "correct" drive?

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 3:49am
Thanks, free-eagle.  I am curious if you used BIOS RAIDXpert2 (RX2), Windows RX2 or a little of both.

To continue my saga, I re-flashed BIOS 1.70 and still could not see my NVMe SSDs in Windows RX2.  I opened a ticket with ASRock Support.  I also opened a ASRock ticket on the rcbotton RAID driver not being signed properly (think this is an AMD problem).  I am starting to consider the possibility that I have defective HW.  Enjoy, John.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote free-eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 5:50am
Yes a strable system with nvme raid 0 and a sata raid 1 plus a sata ssd on slot m3
works fine for me
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 4:27am
Thanks, free-eagle.  I think something is basically wrong with the implementation of RAID in X399.  Do you have a running RAID at this time?  Enjoy, John.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic