ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Taichi x399 cannot install windows in RAID mode
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi x399 cannot install windows in RAID mode

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by daddyo daddyo wrote:

I'm actually looking at one of those LSI RAID cards as an alternative in case I can't get this build going from the motherboard chipset alone.?

Coming from Intel platforms, I have been able to get good enough performance for a light duty editing workstation for HD footage from the onboard RAID chipsets.? With a handful of SSD, you can go a long way. Also, it would be nice not to have to spring another $400 bucks!

I found the RAID options on one of my Intel systems slightly better than AMD as well. However I still sprung for an add-in RAID controller for overall benefits, but as noted...it was at an additional cost/price.

Originally posted by daddyo daddyo wrote:

I'll be reporting in the next few days on my success or failure with this. I want to be a supporter of AMD's efforts to make a high end/ power user platform, but for a $1,000 CPU I would expect the high end features on the chipset to be reliable and available, as they are on Intel. Maturity is a factor, but again, I expect a lot of care being put in a high end platform.

daddyo, outstanding reflection! I also am stunned that any platform(Intel or AMD) that is to support 6 cores or more is 'generally' or dare-I-say 'absolutely' designed for gaming instead of high end/power user platform features. Such as a more competent implementation of RAID than the 0,1 and 1+0 offers since the 90's. - It really would have be great to have this innovation on the Ryzen AM4/TR4 platforms. It would have been a welcome achievement for some!

Again, best success on your efforts.

daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 11:10pm
So far I have tried 2 different approaches, one suggested by MisterJ, which is to delete all volumes under the Raid management section, and create a new one as "Volume" (rather than "RAIDABLE") that includes my SSD.  I initialized the disc.

Now the windows install begins; I load the 3 different drivers during the drive selection phase, as per the RAID install guide. To make sure I remove older partition metadata, at this point I ran the Windows partition utility, and performed a clean on the drive.  Again, I received the same message during the Windows drive selection process:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

While repeating the procedure to ensure I did it properly I noticed that my drive shows "disabled" Under RAIDXpert2 Configuration Utility->Array Management->View Associated Physical Disks

There is no documentation on this menu item whatsoever, but I assume that "disabled" is not what I would want. So I set it to "enabled", saved and exit. Whenever I go back to this, the status still shows as "Disabled", so I can't figure out why it's not taking my configuration. Could this be the issue??

For good measure, I created another VOLUME in the RAIDXpert2 section, this time with an HDD just to remove my SSD as the problem source.  It's a Samsung 950 PRO, and I was able to install Windows on this motherboard while in SATA mode without any problem, just to reiterate.

My attempt with the HDD resulted in a similar failure.

So I tried Parsec's approach which suggested not creating ANY RAID volume at all. This was done by deleting the listed array, and reverting the drive to "legacy"mode under RAIDXpert2 Configuration Utility->Physical Disk Management

Once done, I attempted the Windows install procedure. Same message/failure as with method 1.

The one thing I can think of, has to do with the "disabled" status of my physical drive in the array.  I don't know why "enabling" does not stick, and tbh I don't know whether that is an issue at all. Perhaps I was incorrect in my array configuration approach, even though I followed the manual instructions? I feel those are aimed at cases where you want to have a RAID array preconfigured to install your bootable OS to. In my case, I just want a single VOLUME.

There, I've been about as detailed as I can be. I'll try a bit more, but I'm suspecting buggy UEFI/RAID implementation.

Edited by daddyo - 01 Nov 2017 at 11:18pm
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 12:10am
daddyo and parsec, as I have said from the very beginning, the documentation is really bad at best and testing seems to be the only way to go forward.  I wish you were correct, parsec, but I am starting to suspect that once SATA mode is set to RAID, then, at lease all NVMe drives must pass through the RAID process and maybe all SATA drives.  daddyo, you are correct, there is no information needed to help sort this.  When you got the message that "Windows cannot be installed to this disk.", did you try the Diskpart procedure I outlined?  When I created a RAID0 last week and then gave up when I could not Restart, I turned off RAID, I had to use Diskpart when I installed W10 because of the same message.  I also think you are correct, daddyo, the UEFI is buggy but I also think we have not tried the right combination.

I have received my first response from AMD Support since my detailing my experience with creating a RAID - just a number of questions.  I am hoping they will try my sequence.
parsec, did you say what the second place to enable RAID in the BIOS was?  If so, I missed it - please repeat.  Thanks to all here and enjoy, John.

Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 1:24am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

daddyo and parsec, as I have said from the very beginning, the documentation is really bad at best and testing seems to be the only way to go forward.  I wish you were correct, parsec, but I am starting to suspect that once SATA mode is set to RAID, then, at lease all NVMe drives must pass through the RAID process and maybe all SATA drives.  daddyo, you are correct, there is no information needed to help sort this.  When you got the message that "Windows cannot be installed to this disk.", did you try the Diskpart procedure I outlined?  When I created a RAID0 last week and then gave up when I could not Restart, I turned off RAID, I had to use Diskpart when I installed W10 because of the same message.  I also think you are correct, daddyo, the UEFI is buggy but I also think we have not tried the right combination.

I have received my first response from AMD Support since my detailing my experience with creating a RAID - just a number of questions.  I am hoping they will try my sequence.
parsec, did you say what the second place to enable RAID in the BIOS was?  If so, I missed it - please repeat.  Thanks to all here and enjoy, John.

Well I hope AMD/ASROCK can shed light on this.        I did say in my last post that I ran the diskpart tool. I am familiar with this, somewhat. It is sometimes necessary to clean up a drive's partition info as it can prevent windows from creating the bootstrap data.

The error message I wrote down clearly alludes to the disk controller, rather than the disk itself, and my obtaining similar results with different disks leads me to conclude it's not my disk. 

AS for "trying the right combination", I'm pretty sure I've tried them all. 

The one thing I felt unsure about, if you go back to my previous post, is the status of my drive within the array always showing as "disabled".

Could you be a doll and see whether yours does that as well in the UEFI (assuming you have a working RAID)? Again, I tried with two drives (of different make and model), created two different arrays as "volume", and I can never get the drive's status to show as "enabled". This is suspicious to me, but without detailed documentation on this, it's hard to ascertain. Otherwise, there are no indications in the array or controller status sections that the drive isn't ready to be used. If yours show as "enabled" this could be a clue?

The two places that PARSEC refers to for enabling RAID are in the STORAGE section, and in the AMD PBS section, although it is mentioned that this second section is only necessary for NVME RAID builds. Would it be possible that this is also necessary for SATA RAID after all?? I'll give it a shot.

I'll also check that I am using the correct RAID drives during the install process, but I'm pretty sure that's not it.

Edited by daddyo - 02 Nov 2017 at 1:33am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 3:11am
daddyo, I deleted my RAID when I could not Restart and have not rebuild it.  Possibly I'll try again this weekend but I am not sure what to try after your report.  I will send AMD support the link to this thread so they can take a look.  I need to look at the second setting parsec mentioned.  Thanks. If ADM support does not try my sequence this week, I may will do some more testing.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT: The PBS setting is very interesting!  I did not set it.  There is no mention of it in the AMD Gaming Blog.

Edited by MisterJ - 02 Nov 2017 at 3:26am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 5:00am
MisterJ, understood. Are you still in RAID mode, however, or did you go back to SATA? If you are in RAID mode, and have a running Windows install on a single logical/physical volume, I'd love to know what your drive status is in the UEFI section I mentioned earlier. If not, oh well.. Thumbs Up

Thanks for being there on this journey, and for forwarding this to AMD. Please emphasize that for a platform dedicated to 600/1000 dollar cpus, stuff like this needs to be really buttoned up otherwise there's no reason to buy such expensive hardware from them. Or perhaps it is an OEM implementation issue? I don't know for sure. 

Edited by daddyo - 02 Nov 2017 at 5:05am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 7:38am
daddyo, I guess I did a poor job of answering your question - sorry.  I am not running in RAID mode mode due to not being able to Restart without a Reset.  I was able to install W10 and boot into it, just could not Restart.  The RAID0 I created on two EVO 960 drives is gone and I have installed W10 on one of the 960s.  One contains the data I wish to keep and the third is not used.  I will most likely try again this weekend since I did not enable the NVMe option in PBS.  Maybe it will work perfectly.  I have fixed my missing driver problem by injecting the F6 drivers into my WinPE USB stick.
You are very welcome and thank you for hanging in there.  I have told several that this testing we are doing is our best chance till AMD/ASRock get their game together.  Will let all know what I learn from AMD and testing.  Enjoy, John.
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 7:00am
Sweet! 

I tried enabling NVME RAID out of curiosity, it obviously didn't make a difference. Can't install on a drive in a single Volume controlled by the RAID controller. I'm not sure that this functionality is very serviceable with the present documentation.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 7:23am
daddyo, what error did you get?  If it was "..can't be installed...', did you try the Diskpart Clean?  After setting everything up,  did you Delete the single volume and make it a JBOD?  What kind of drive is it - hope not Optane?  Thanks and enjoy, John.
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 8:27am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

daddyo, what error did you get?  If it was "..can't be installed...', did you try the Diskpart Clean?  After setting everything up,  did you Delete the single volume and make it a JBOD?  What kind of drive is it - hope not Optane?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

Mister J, I did do diskpart, and did assign the drive to a JBOD type "Volume" array in RAIDXpert. Same error as before, same suspicious behavior with disks showing as "disabled" in the RAID manager. I think the UI needs a bit of sprucing up, because of the way you "Enable" and "Disable" drives during array creation. The same terminology is used there, and I don't know whether it's a switch of its own, or used in the context of another specific operation. 

My drive was not an Optane. Samsung 950 PRO. My understanding of Optane is that it's almost like a cache between RAM and your DATA, rather than a traditional disk... Am I wrong on that?

Edited by daddyo - 03 Nov 2017 at 8:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic