ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Taichi x399 cannot install windows in RAID mode
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi x399 cannot install windows in RAID mode

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 5:17am
daddyo, I have spent most of the day trying to create a bootable RAID0 with no luck.  I did learn a lot and have some BIOS screenshots to share.  I must do it later because I am totally wasted!  I have more thinking to do, but my latest is that I may need to re-flash BIOS 1.70 to get rid of some data that cannot be cleared with R9 or Clear CMOS.  I do see your problem where I cannot Enable all the drives in my Array and they will not stay Enabled.  I hope to finish this post soon.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 10:49am
It's driving me crazy that I can't try this AMD NVMe RAID myself! Pinch

You know there has been at least one successful user, free-eagle is the ASRock user that had success in the other AMD NVMe thread (sorry for text only, the forum link tool fails with URLs with a '?'):

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6152&PN=1&title=asrock-x399-taichi-m2-nvme-ssd-raid

I'll post this here again that I posted in the other thread. I noticed something odd in the table, not sure if it is a typo. Check the last line in the valid configurations table:

It shows SATA RAID not enabled, but the NMVe RAID setting enabled is enough for it to work. The table shows NVMe RAID supported, but not SATA RAID in that configuration. Maybe taking SATA RAID out of the picture will help make things easier?

A few general hints that may help you, FWIW.

When you attempt to create a RAID array and then have whatever error afterwards, particularly during a Windows installation, you should clean everything off the drives. As MisterJ suggested, using the Diskpart clean command will do that completely. That insures the RAID metadata is removed and if it was not right it won't affect future attempts. Removing any partitions during the Windows installation may not remove the metadata.

MisterJ, removing the board's battery while doing a UEFI/BIOS clear with the jumper will clear the UEFI chip's memory, for an absolute fresh start. Reflashing the UEFI is worth trying, you never know.

In the UEFI, setting the CSM sub-option, Launch Storage OpROM Policy option to UEFI Only insures that the AMD UEFI storage Option ROM is being used, which I believe is a requirement for AMD NVMe RAID. It is required for Intel's NVMe RAID. Setting the CSM option to disabled will also set Launch Storage OpROM Policy option to UEFI Only. You must Save and Exit the UEFI to apply these settings.

The small 16GB and 32GB Optane caching SSDs were meant to be used with Intel's "storage acceleration" feature, which is created with their IRST RAID software. But they can be used as a standalone SSD just fine. Just small for an OS or storage drive. I use three in an Intel RAID 0 array as a Windows 10 drive, just to test Optane in general. I can tell you that for use as an OS drive, the UEFI must be configured for full UEFI booting, meaning the CSM option is set to disabled.

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 11:37pm
Thanks, parsec.  Perhaps you are saying that I should NOT set SATA to RAID (leave AHCI) when I am trying to create a RAID0 on my NVMe drives while I continue to have my SATA WD HD installed.  I tried with the HD disconnected (both power and SATA, just to make sure) and still failed.  The BIOS RAIDXpert2 still displayed the HD.  Neither clear CMOS nor F9 cleared this - required Delete Array.  The RAID code has some special storage.  I will try removing the battery on my next brave sojourn into RAIDville.  It may be a while - it just exhaust me - a half day of fighting.  I will try creating an NVMe RAID after clearing BIOS (Re-flash or battery removal).  I think there were two users that were successful.  This gave me the idea to try re-flash.  I assume they flashed BIOS, then built a RAID.  I am suspecting that once almost any kind of error, something is broken in the RAID (data or code).  A straight flow through the process works but any deviation is a problem.
I promised to post some BIOS screenshots.  This first is the situation when I first entered BIOS RAIDXpert:

I have Enabled one SSD for my RAID0, but the other two remain greyed out and Disabled.
Second:

I only have three NVMe drives.
I promised AMD Support I would open an ASRock Support ticket.  First I need to investigate a possible RAID driver signing problem.  A week or so ago W10 reported a injected RAID driver signing error and blocked install.  Yesterday I got a message about the same driver (rcbottom) when I tried to install it on my system by right clicking rcbottom.inf and selecting Install.  The other two .inf files did not complain.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: In order to use RAIDXper2 in Windows, the RAID drivers must be installed.

Edited by MisterJ - 04 Nov 2017 at 11:41pm
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
free-eagle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote free-eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 12:00am
i had the same issues with ghost arrays displayed all the time. you can clear them in the bios but after booting to win 10 they are back again in the bios. 
you really have to clear all arrays and all of the disks from bios. after this a clean install of win 10 with the f6 drivers was succesfull for me. if you want to keep data on any old drive you have to do a backup on an external disk or a nas.

X399 Taichi (Bios 2.0), TR 1920X, 32 GB GSKILL F4-3600C16D-16GTZSW, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB (RAID 0),Crucial 1 TB SSD, 2x 4TB Seagate HDD (RAID 1), Zotac 1080TI AMP Extreme, Windows 10 Pro (1709)
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 4:27am
Thanks, free-eagle.  I think something is basically wrong with the implementation of RAID in X399.  Do you have a running RAID at this time?  Enjoy, John.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote free-eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 5:50am
Yes a strable system with nvme raid 0 and a sata raid 1 plus a sata ssd on slot m3
works fine for me
X399 Taichi (Bios 2.0), TR 1920X, 32 GB GSKILL F4-3600C16D-16GTZSW, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB (RAID 0),Crucial 1 TB SSD, 2x 4TB Seagate HDD (RAID 1), Zotac 1080TI AMP Extreme, Windows 10 Pro (1709)
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 3:49am
Thanks, free-eagle.  I am curious if you used BIOS RAIDXpert2 (RX2), Windows RX2 or a little of both.

To continue my saga, I re-flashed BIOS 1.70 and still could not see my NVMe SSDs in Windows RX2.  I opened a ticket with ASRock Support.  I also opened a ASRock ticket on the rcbotton RAID driver not being signed properly (think this is an AMD problem).  I am starting to consider the possibility that I have defective HW.  Enjoy, John.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 11:18am
MisterJ, I know my comments aren't helping you much at all, but I remain curious about your problems.

free-eagle's comments about the ghost arrays are interesting, and possibly indicate a basic bug in the AMD NVMe RAIDXpert2 software in the UEFI and Windows.

One thing I noticed in your screen shot is your Array 6 seems to be the only real RAID 0 array that exists. Array 1 is shown both as 1.0TB and 748.5GB, in the drop down list and the View Associated Physical Disk screen, respectively. Since you only have three, 250GB 960 EVOs, the majority of the drop down list entries seem to be anomalous, ghost entries. Also, how are there four 250GB drives in the drop down list? Software bug or multiple metadata partitions on one of the SSDs?

But we have also seen single, non-RAID drives classified as RAID arrays in RAIDXpert2. When I say we, I mean my own SATA SSDs are listed that way.

The ghost entries make me think the three drives have RAID metadata partitions (data describing the RAID array) from previous array creation attempts. As if it was not removed when (if) you deleted the RAID array using RAIDXpert2. That could be a bug in RAIDXpert2. Your theory about a successful first attempt at array creation working, but any initial failure causing continued failures, even after following the correct procedure of array deletion and (re) creation, would seem to fit my scenario about remnant RAID metadata.

I just recalled from my experience with Intel IRST RAID 0 arrays, that using the Diskpart clean command did not remove the Intel RAID metadata from drives that were part of a RAID 0 array. I would run clean on a drive from a RAID array, but afterwards Disk Management would not let me partition and format it. I had to connect all the drives used in the RAID 0 array, run the Intel IRST utility, and delete the RAID 0 array before the drives were back to normal. Only then could I use the drives in Windows.

I would not trust Diskpart's clean command to provide a drive free of the RAID metadata. I would expect an SSD Secure Erase operation to completely clean the RAID metadata from the SSDs. I think you would need to create a DOS bootable USB drive in the Samsung Magician software to secure erase your 960 EVOs.

free-eagle's comments seem to contradict my ideas, if the ghost arrays continue to appear. But he did seem to also say clearing everything (at one time?) caused his eventual success. Unless he did something else he did not mention. I am uncertain if he still gets the ghost arrays in the UEFI with his successful Windows 10 installation.

I'm curious what the Windows 10 installation program sees as a drive when you attempted an install. Do you only get a ~750GB drive as a choice, before or after installing the F6 drivers? Do any ghost drives appear along with the "correct" drive?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote free-eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 4:02pm
@Parsec: There are no more ghost arrays or drives for me in raidxpert and also in bios.
i initialy wanted to keep some data on a single drive and that was the error because of the metadata on it. in the bios you can delete arrays and initialize/delete disks.

I wonder what happens when a new bios or drivers appear :-)
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 12:38am
Thanks, parsec, all help is appreciated.  You never know when the key will be triggered.  As I said I am beginning to consider a broken board.  I will see where my ASRock ticket goes.  I don't see where you are seeing "Array 6 is shown both as 1.0TB and 748.5GB".  The 748.5 GB is my three 250 GB RAID0. The 1.0 TB is my WD Black, normal SATA drive not RAID in any way and never was.  I do believe diskpart/clean will clean up a disk IF the RAID array is broken first.  I have done this many times and the drive is usable in W10.  Here is the Disk Management image of one I have not run diskpart/clean on:

I agree that the "Ghost disks" are a bug, but probably a manifestation of the RAID hidden storage in BIOS that I cannot clear.  Doing a Delete Array on each array/disk does get rid of all the Ghosts.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic