ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Taichi x399 cannot install windows in RAID mode
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi x399 cannot install windows in RAID mode

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 3:01am
Hey Guys,

I'm chiming in after another weekend of troubleshooting. I'm afraid I don't have anything great to report, but some validation that could still be of help.

I had no problems with ghost arrays in UEFI, creating and deleting arrays was pretty reliable, as long as I saved and rebooted to UEFI after each such operation. I still could NOT for the life of me push the windows installation to go through on a target drive, a single drive configured as a "Volume". This is the configuration that is expected to be set when you want to create a JBOD array. Perhaps that is the caveat, this array only has one drive, and thus might not be "Enabled". IF that is the case, there is no obvious way whatsoever to leave a single volume outside of a RAID array, while in RAID mode.   
It didn't work either when I tried installing windows on this drive with no arrays created yet. 

Looking at the RAID config table in the docs (the one you posted here), I also did not like the known issues listed. Given the trouble I had with RAID, what others reported, and the reliability issues listed, I decided it would be wise to give up and not trust my data to be safe on this garbage implementation.

I switched back to SATA and windows is running smoothly. I'll think of another way to secure my data from drive failure, like investing in a small NAS. If I had worked for the time I took troubleshooting this, I would have earned that NAS already.  As for i/o performance, I'll have to do without it, or buy a RAID card later.

One thing I did notice when I installed my system in SATA mode is that the one HDD that was part of an array was being read by Windows as a partitioned disk, and nothing I did would restore it to a single drive. none of the windows utilities could do anything about that. I ended up installing Minitool partition Wizard and was able to convert my drive back to a GPT volume, enabling all 8 TB as a single drive. I think the array creation process might leave behind some metadata on the drives that cause windows' disk management tool to report undesired drive profiles. Is that fixed with the RAID drivers installed? I don't know, food for thought. I suspect the weirdness you are seeing in Windows has to do with bad drivers/UEFI RAID software, rather than a hardware issue on your motherboard. But why not RMA it if you still can...

Good luck guys!
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 5:17am
daddyo, I have always had diskpart/clean work for me on a previous RAID drive.  The array must be broken (Delete Array).  I then open diskpart in an Administrator command Prompt, select the drive, run clean then convert to GPT.  diskpart is unforgiving!  The correct disk must be selected and when clear is issued, diskpart says nothing and asks nothing except disk cleaned successfully.  I have posted more detailed instructions in this forum.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
free-eagle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote free-eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 1:55am
just updateted bios 1.7 to 1.8 without any problems. the raid is still stable, no ghost array or drives.
X399 Taichi (Bios 2.0), TR 1920X, 32 GB GSKILL F4-3600C16D-16GTZSW, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB (RAID 0),Crucial 1 TB SSD, 2x 4TB Seagate HDD (RAID 1), Zotac 1080TI AMP Extreme, Windows 10 Pro (1709)
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 5:19am
Thanks, free-eagle.  Perhaps I will give it a go in a few days and see if building a RAID is any better.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic