ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Treadripper Specific memory tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Treadripper Specific memory tips
    Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 7:36am
I'm looking for a good x399 compatible RAM suggestion.

I currently have GSkill trident Z 4x16GB quad channel kit, pc3200. It seems to run fine but I don't believe it's been certified for the platform, and cannot find more inf on this. I want to make sure I get compatible RAM. I need 64gb, preferably as 4x16.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!!!
ssateneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssateneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 8:45am
I use the RAM is my sig (16GB DIMMs, dual rank, same as yours), but bear in mind. 2400MHz is the highest officially supported speed for threadripper with 4 dual rank DIMMs as mentioned in your post. Anything above that is considered overclocking and not guaranteed.

THAT BEING SAID, 2933MHz is rather easy to attain, as should 3066MHz. 3200 may require some tweaking or being more flexible with timings (you may need to use geardown mode = on, or set command rate to 2T). 3333 is difficult to do for my chip without resorting to 2T command rate. 3466 and 3600 I can load into OS but stability isn't great. Also, more RAM voltage isn't always a good thing. I got significantly more errors/instability with more voltage. Starting at 1.4v and going higher was a poor decision, lowering it caused errors to be less frequent/disappear at higher RAM speeds.

And as always, your mileage may vary.

Edited by ssateneth - 31 Oct 2017 at 8:47am
MB: X399 Taichi, UEFI L3.32
VGA: EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
PSU: Seasonic PRIME 1300 W PLATINUM
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
MEM: 4x16GB, 3600MHz G.Skill Trident Z F4-3600C17Q-64GTZKW
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 9:24am
Originally posted by daddyo daddyo wrote:

I currently have GSkill trident Z 4x16GB quad channel kit, pc3200. It seems to run fine but I don't believe it's been certified for the platform, and cannot find more inf on this. I want to make sure I get compatible RAM. I need 64gb, preferably as 4x16.

After several months of experience dealing with Ryzen processor memory compatibility and over clocking, and the yet to be complete AGESA processor microcode updates related to memory performance and compatibility, the best tip I have for you on the related X399/Threadripper platform is simple:

Use whatever memory model that works well for you! Geek

That is not sarcasm or a joke (Ok, some humor in it) but Ryzen and Threadripper "certified" memory is somewhat of a joke. Meaning which memory models work with either platform in general without close examination is random.

We've seen DDR4 memory models "designed" for Ryzen not work as well as some models of DDR4 designed for Intel platforms that existed prior to Ryzen.

The one detail that seems to matter the most is the memory model containing Samsung "B-die" memory chips. That detail is rarely included in the product's specifications. That's the detail that requires close examination.

One problem with that is sometimes a manufacture will change the make of memory chips used in a model of memory. That's one reason why mixing kits of the same model of memory, purchased six months apart, may not work together.

The X399 platform is very new, so our experience is limited regarding memory compatibility. I hope this thread will become a useful reference for Threadripper compatible memory, with posts from real users of the memory. I don't own an X399 system so cannot provide any suggestions. I'd only do that from personal experience. The Memory QVL list is a good resource, but will not cover all DDR4 memory available.

Another factor, let's define "compatible". Does that mean the memory will work at its stock/default speed only? Or will it reach its specified OC speed? The greater the amount of memory being used can affect the ability of the system to reach the OC speed. We need to include the amount of memory being used at a specific speed. Using 128GB of memory has proven to be difficult, even at stock speeds, for example.

Sorry to say, telling us you use G.SKILL TridentZ PC3200 memory is not enough. There are many models of TridentZ memory, and we know some use different memory chips. We need the full G.SKILL model number. For example, the memory model I use in my Ryzen system is: F4-3200C14D-16GFX.

JUANNY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUANNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 9:33am
Originally posted by daddyo daddyo wrote:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232646&cm_re=gskill-_-20-232-646-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232642&cm_re=gskill-_-20-232-642-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232631&cm_re=gskill-_-20-232-631-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232648&cm_re=gskill-_-20-232-648-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232644&cm_re=gskill-_-20-232-644-_-Product
Asrock X399 Fatality Pro Gaming Bios 2.0 Threadripper 1950X Cpu cooler Enermax 360 mm TR4 GSkill 64 GB F4-2933C14Q-64GFX Windows 10 X64 PRO Version 1709 Build 16299.19 2X EVGA 1080 TI in SLI mode
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 10:10am
Originally posted by ssateneth ssateneth wrote:

I use the RAM is my sig (16GB DIMMs, dual rank, same as yours), but bear in mind. 2400MHz is the highest officially supported speed for threadripper with 4 dual rank DIMMs as mentioned in your post. Anything above that is considered overclocking and not guaranteed.

THAT BEING SAID, 2933MHz is rather easy to attain, as should 3066MHz. 3200 may require some tweaking or being more flexible with timings (you may need to use geardown mode = on, or set command rate to 2T). 3333 is difficult to do for my chip without resorting to 2T command rate. 3466 and 3600 I can load into OS but stability isn't great. Also, more RAM voltage isn't always a good thing. I got significantly more errors/instability with more voltage. Starting at 1.4v and going higher was a poor decision, lowering it caused errors to be less frequent/disappear at higher RAM speeds.

And as always, your mileage may vary.

Excellent post! A great example of including important details and personal experience that may help others. We also know the mother board, UEFI version, and processor being used, which is important information.

The memory model, F4-3600C17Q-64GTZKW, is a great example of memory whose G.SKILL QVL list only includes Intel platforms, yet works fine with Threadripper. This is what I meant when I said Ryzen memory compatibility is random.

http://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3600c17q-64gtzkw

Question, have you ever tried increasing the VDDCR_SOC voltage with a memory OC? That has helped with Ryzen memory over clocking. You didn't mention it, so thought I'd ask about it. X399 has other memory related voltages that might help with a memory OC, it's not generally known which are significant.

From Ryzen experience, and information from AMD, GearDown Mode set to Auto will cause Command Rate to be set to 2T automatically with any memory frequency/speed over the maximum Ryzen memory spec. It seems that was not the case in your experience over clocking your memory?

Interesting that the higher DRAM voltage resulted in more memory errors, something we should remember and test for ourselves.

The price of this memory model is breathtaking! Shocked

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 4:31am
if i can chirp in

heres a vast amount of info /settings and tips to dial in the best from tr and its ram

http://www.overclock.net/t/1638140/asrock-x399-taichi-fatality-overclocking-and-unofficial-support
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 5:37am
Sorry for the lack of info in the OP, you are right, all these details make a difference. This is the actual model I bought on Newegg:

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16Q-64GTZKW

I'm loathe to get rid of it in the event it is not a good match, because I paid 700 dollars for it and Newegg will charge me a 100 dollar restocking fee. Judging by the responses on this thread, I see that it should be fine. I even could have gotten a cheaper version. 

By the way, I'm shocked at the RAM prices in the last two weeks. This kit now sells for over $900 USD on Newegg!!!!!Wacko

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic