ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Asrock 970 Performance 'Fatal1ty' - frequent BSODs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock 970 Performance 'Fatal1ty' - frequent BSODs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranged66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock 970 Performance 'Fatal1ty' - frequent BSODs
    Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 5:38am
My old motherboard, a very old MSI one, stopped working so a few weeks ago I bought a new one, the Asrock 970 Fatal1ty. However, things haven't really been going smooth. At all.

I've reinstalled windows, made sure every driver is updated, ran /sfc, windows memory diagnostic, chkdsk and have done countless other things I can't even remember, I'm sure it's hardware related at this point. I have reseated the RAM, made sure it's properly connected, even changed configuration to A1/A2 and back to A1/B1 (dual channel). Problems persist.

I've been getting frequent bluescreens ever since installing the motherboard (which beats not working at all but still, ;c). They most frequently occur while gaming, no matter what game it is, but they also strike at complete random. And sometimes just straight up freezes, no bluescreen, nothing. Freeze until I force a restart leaving no crash dump behind. The crashes I've been getting:
DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL (most frequent)
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (second most frequent)
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (rare-ish)
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (only recently)
All crashes only really occur in the windows kernel, pointing to no specific driver at all.

I've installed every possible driver from Asrock's page on my motherboard, updated windows, done everything software related possible. My error is extremely similar to http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1656&PN=4&title=ar-fatal1ty-970-performance-ram-compatibility which led me to posting and registering on this forum. Almost scarily similar. Same processor, same motherboard... Only difference being that I use Corsair cm3x4ga1333c9n2 RAM - 1333MHz, 4GB while he uses the 1600MHz variant. I am not sure what fixed it on his end in the end...

I can provide some minidumps of the crash logs if needed but I doubt they would be of any use since I highly doubt that it is software related, since they occured when I cleanly installed this windows 10 already.

https://imgur.com/a/i1MAg CPU-Z screenshots
https://imgur.com/a/E9hHa BIOS screenshots (main is old, I've reseated to A1/B1 dual channel)

Help would be really appreciated, I've been trying to fix this for weeks, from microsoft support to tomshardware when I thought it was still driver/software related :(
The topic I found was just far, far too similar to be a coincidence, and you guys managed to fix his problems, so I have hope that I can find help here as well...

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 7:08pm
it seems he did explain what fixed it

> Dear Wardog, Petrolhead.

It is now almost 1 month since I changed the RAM settings: activating XMP (that was naturally not activated on the MB), set everything to default (Voltage was not in line with frequency (Bios Setup)).

Since that day, no more BSOD, no more Freezes.

By the Way, the Kingston RAM was incompatible with the MB despite what Kingston said. Default setting in the BIOS was not in coherent with RAM settings and XMP couldn't be activated.

For me, this post can be marked as "Solved"!

Thank you all for your great support and patience :) <

sooooooo

lets retrace and see whats the matter with the ram

have you tried installing thiaphoon burner free edition ?

this will give a very detailed report of the ram and its preferred settings
print this off and then go into the bios and check to see if the bios is auto  setting the correct values 
BOTH  at stock non xmp speeds and at xmp setting then run a test on both in windows
(my am3 system simply will not run stable with hyperX ram at the auto/stock setting. i actually have to manually adjust the timings and volts to make it stable)

i think this is where your problem is trace back to
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 7:34pm
ive just tried to find data on your ram and apart from 1 advert from 1 and 1/2 years ago on gumtree
there seems no record of that part number
including on corsairs own website .............

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Ranged66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranged66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 7:55pm
Thanks! I've installed Thaiphoon and I will review it with my bios settings now.

It's the bottom card, I have 2 of those in my system. They have no default XMP configuration in bios though.

It seems to all be in line with what is optimal...

Edited by Ranged66 - 03 Nov 2017 at 7:58pm
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 8:10pm
have you checked the jedec timings on 1333 and on lower speeds ? with thaiphoon

what speed is the auto setting using on the board ?

can you post a screen shot of the thaiphoon after reading the ram
does thiaphoon report the ram has xmp ?

Ranged66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranged66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 11:44pm
Well, I switched out the RAM sticks for different ones, 1600MHz with XMP, and everything is working like a charm so far. The issue was with the RAM, but if it was simply bad RAM or bad settings, I can't be bothered to figure out, I've sunk hours and hours into this already.

Thanks anyway though!

EDIT: Not fixed :(

Edited by Ranged66 - 04 Nov 2017 at 1:09am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 12:17am
well its a good turn out then
no more bsod AND you have faster ram working

Ranged66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranged66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 12:38am
Nevermind, it appears I spoke too soon, the new RAM crashed too even with XMP loaded in BIOS.
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.
I assume at this point that the motherboard is faulty?

Further specs:
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty 970 Performance
CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: MSI GTX-1060 6GB
PSU: Be quiet! PURE POWER 10 600W
Storage: 200GB SSD + 500GB HDD

Edited by Ranged66 - 04 Nov 2017 at 12:41am
Ranged66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranged66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 1:45am
https://i.gyazo.com/c92eb064b7279df6d627495f4b8a7652.png

Is anything off with this? What could/should I change and how?
Ranged66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranged66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 5:29pm
I still need help with this, I'm at the point of RMA'ing the board...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic