ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

5 beeps, is CPU dead?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote y3llo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 beeps, is CPU dead?
    Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 3:53am
Came home today to my computer failing to boot and giving 5 beeps. I have a Fatal1ty B350 motherboard and Ryzen 1700. I have attempt to reset CMOS, both with jumper and by pulling battery. Now the system won't even beep, it just ramps fans up and down, similar to performing ram timing, but it is stuck in an infinite loop. 

I googled the 5 beeps for this mobo and came up with CPU error. Is the processor dead? 

Please help.
Thank you
y3llo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote y3llo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 11:25am
Unsuccessful update: I pulled of the heat sink, cleaned up the cpu and heatsink and re-applied paste. Still stuck in a boot loop with no beeps.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 4:06pm
Can we get your full system specs please, as well as PSU model and capacity. Only knowing the motherboard and CPU makes it difficult to help you. Air or water cooling? Power hungry GPU or budget low power model? etc
y3llo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote y3llo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 5:06pm
Corsair PSU model RM850X (850W) 
2x8gb G skill 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Vega 56 (recently replaced more power hungry 290X)
Air cooling (stock)
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 6:52pm
tested spare psu ?
tested with the old gpu ?
tested with 1 ram stick in a1 and then in a2 ?

reset the cmos before each test
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
y3llo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote y3llo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 7:14am
Well without having a spare psu, I skipped right to the ram, pulled out a stick from B2, reset cmos and the computer booted. Pulled out both stick and reinstalled them. Now everything is back to normal...

It might seem obvious to try everything you described but I was absolutely stuck on the 5 beep error code, being a cpu error. I suppose the ram being so closely timed to the cpu, this could have generated this error and it certainly did. 

Thank you very much for the help. I kind of knew to that I should try swapping all the components but wanted to hear it from someone with more experience. Thank you again!
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 8:37am
no problem glad i could be of help
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic