ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motherboard can't change CPU voltage?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WatermelonIsAFruit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motherboard can't change CPU voltage?
    Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 10:15pm
I have AB350M motherboard with P1.30 BIOS

Why can't I change CPU voltage?
Also, when I increase dram voltage to 1.35V it turns red, why does it warn me about that voltage?
Tautvis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tautvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 2:35am
Try using Page Up/Down keys or +/- keys on your numpad. 
Red numbers tell you that this ammount of voltage is unsafe for your system.
brendanw36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendanw36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 3:05am
There is no BIOS version P1.30 for your board if this(https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/AB350M/index.us.asp) is the one you are talking about.  Make sure you know exactly what motherboard you have before updating the BIOS to the latest option.  If that does not work then contact ASRock support and ask for a beta BIOS for your specific board and they should be able to get you it in a day or two.
WatermelonIsAFruit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WatermelonIsAFruit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 3:44am
Originally posted by Tautvis Tautvis wrote:

Try using Page Up/Down keys or +/- keys on your numpad. 
Red numbers tell you that this ammount of voltage is unsafe for your system.
Why would 1.35V be unsafe?My ram is supposed to work at that voltage (according to the manufacturer), most overclocked RAM runs at this voltage.

Originally posted by brendanw36 brendanw36 wrote:

There is no BIOS version P1.30 for your board if this(https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/AB350M/index.us.asp) is the one you are talking about.  Make sure you know exactly what motherboard you have before updating the BIOS to the latest option.  If that does not work then contact ASRock support and ask for a beta BIOS for your specific board and they should be able to get you it in a day or two.
You can't find P1.30 in the download section, but go to the CPU support list

and you'll see it, I haven't flashed the BIOS myself, it's the factory BIOS.I highly doubt that they added
vcore option via BIOS updates, that wouldn't make any sense for an overclocking motherboard.
brendanw36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendanw36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 5:03am
Are you kidding?  So much has changed since the very first version of your BIOS.  Update now.  There have been so many different versions of AGESA you have missed.  Your gonna need AGESA 1.0.0.6b.  Also don't even bother trying to increase the voltage into the red.  ASRock does that for a reason.

Edited by brendanw36 - 06 Nov 2017 at 5:05am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 9:29am
Originally posted by WatermelonIsAFruit WatermelonIsAFruit wrote:

I have AB350M motherboard with P1.30 BIOS

Why can't I change CPU voltage?
Also, when I increase dram voltage to 1.35V it turns red, why does it warn me about that voltage?

As said above, you really need to update to the latest UEFI/BIOS version. The early UEFI versions for any AM4 board were very simple, limited to some extent or completely by the early AGESA CPU microcode version that was available from AMD. Things have changed tremendously since then.

Originally posted by WatermelonIsAFruit WatermelonIsAFruit wrote:

I highly doubt that they added
vcore option via BIOS updates, that wouldn't make any sense for an overclocking motherboard.

I don't get your point in this statement.

If there is any chance of a VCore option being included in the UEFI for this board, it will be in a newer versions. You must have gotten a very early production version of that board to have the 1.30 UEFI/BIOS version. The difference between the first UEFI versions and the recent versions are night and day.

Granted a board at this price level can't be expected to be great for over clocking. Plus the very limited over clocking potential of the first generation of Ryzen processors restricts any over clocking to not much more than the max Turbo speed of the Ryzen processor, if that. That's what we see with the best X370 boards.

The DRAM voltage in red at 1.35V or above will most likely be gone in later UEFI versions. If it remains, it's just a reminder that you cannot go much above 1.35V for the DRAM voltage, probably due to a two slot memory board's simpler DRAM voltage regulator.

Please use the Instant Flash UEFI update method on a USB flash drive, the safest method to use. If you insist upon using the Windows version, as noted on the UEFI/BIOS update page, in order to use the 3.10 Windows update method, you MUST first update to version 3.00 via Instant Flash. So you might as well just use the Instant Flash method.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M/index.asp#BIOS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WatermelonIsAFruit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by brendanw36 brendanw36 wrote:

Are you kidding?  So much has changed since the very first version of your BIOS.  Update now.  There have been so many different versions of AGESA you have missed.  Your gonna need AGESA 1.0.0.6b.  Also don't even bother trying to increase the voltage into the red.  ASRock does that for a reason.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I don't get your point in this statement.

If there is any chance of a VCore option being included in the UEFI for this board, it will be in a newer versions. You must have gotten a very early production version of that board to have the 1.30 UEFI/BIOS version. The difference between the first UEFI versions and the recent versions are night and day.

Granted a board at this price level can't be expected to be great for over clocking. Plus the very limited over clocking potential of the first generation of Ryzen processors restricts any over clocking to not much more than the max Turbo speed of the Ryzen processor, if that. That's what we see with the best X370 boards.

Could such early version of BIOS cause some issues (motherboard can recognize my CPU by the way)?I don't understand why they release overclocking motherboards without the option to change CPU voltage and then add it later.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 3:03am
so we will have to presume..............

your using a ryzen 3 or 5

little things like that really help other people to help you

there is VAST knowledge here.please try to make an effort to allow us to help you
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WatermelonIsAFruit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

so we will have to presume..............

your using a ryzen 3 or 5

little things like that really help other people to help you

there is VAST knowledge here.please try to make an effort to allow us to help you
I'm using r5 1600, according to Asrock, r5 1600 is supported since P1.10 but 1600x is supported since 2.0, they both came out at the same time and yet one of them requires a newer BIOS.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic