ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problems with Taichi X399 Board

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jparsons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems with Taichi X399 Board
    Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 1:13am
I'm having what appears to be a conflict between the U.2 connector on my board and PCI-E slot 1. Here are my specs:

Threadripper 1950X
64 Gig Corsair Dominator 3000 mhz
Intel 750 SSd in 2.5 inch form factor connected to the U.2. connection
Dual Asus GTX 1080s

When I place one of the two video cards on PCI-E Slot 1 I take a massive performance hit. Major stuttering, slow redraw on dialog boxes etc.. If I disconnect the U.2. drive and use a standard SSD drive the problem goes away. If I use the U.2. drive, but move the video card off of PCI slot 1, the problem goes away.

My issue is that moving the video card down to the next slot, puts it right against the other video card and my heat goes through the roof, resulting in throttling (I normally hit 1950 mhz on the video card. Moving it up against the other video card, I cap at 1650). 

Question, is there anything I can do to avoid bandwidth problems between slot 1 and the U.2. connector?
jparsons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jparsons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 10:37am
After much troubleshooting, I finally fixed the performance issues. I moved the NVME drive off of the U.2 port by getting a PCIE card that mounts the NVME drive. However, it turns out that this was not the issue. Instead, turning off HPET fixed the problem. Once I turned this off, my FPS in games doubled, as well as overall performance. Finally really enjoying all that the 1950 has to offer!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by jparsons jparsons wrote:

After much troubleshooting, I finally fixed the performance issues. I moved the NVME drive off of the U.2 port by getting a PCIE card that mounts the NVME drive. However, it turns out that this was not the issue. Instead, turning off HPET fixed the problem. Once I turned this off, my FPS in games doubled, as well as overall performance. Finally really enjoying all that the 1950 has to offer!

Thanks for relating your experience disabling HPET on the X399/TR platform. You are not the only one that has noticed improved performance or other improvements after disabling HPET.

Whether or not this is something basic to the X399 platform or possibly an issue with the X399 UEFI, we don't know. But the more independent verification's of this we get, the better. I just disabled HPET on my AM4/X370 PC for the first time, and it seems to be more stable than it was in the past.

Are you using Windows 10, or another version, or a different OS?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic