ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi x370 pcie firewire support?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TooQik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi x370 pcie firewire support?
    Posted: 22 May 2018 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by datgeek datgeek wrote:

Yes I Tried the legacy drivers as stated in my first post. thats when I thought something might be up with the card comparability, as I could only change the drivers in safe mode. 

as far as USB Adapters they will not work with my Presonus Studiolive AI board. 

Long story short, I ordered a StarTech Firewire adapter. when I installed it I had a similar problem. I had to boot into safe mode to install it. but after installing the drivers for this card it works. and I did not have to use the legacy drivers. 

the Presonus likes the TI chipset and that is what both of the cards use. there is a short list of firewire cards that are compatable with the unit. I can only assume I got a bad SYBA card or the SYBA is not compatible with the ASROCK Taichi or the X370 chipset.

but it IS possible to get firewire on the X370 Chipset. 

thanks for the help

Good to hear you got it all working.
ssateneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssateneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 10:48am
I see no reason for a firewire add-in card to not work. PCI-E is PCI-E. Just install the correct drivers and you're good.

Firewire support in BIOS is a whole other matter
MB: X399 Taichi, UEFI L3.32
VGA: EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
PSU: Seasonic PRIME 1300 W PLATINUM
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
MEM: 4x16GB, 3600MHz G.Skill Trident Z F4-3600C17Q-64GTZKW
datgeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datgeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 6:48pm
Yes I Tried the legacy drivers as stated in my first post. thats when I thought something might be up with the card comparability, as I could only change the drivers in safe mode. 

as far as USB Adapters they will not work with my Presonus Studiolive AI board. 

Long story short, I ordered a StarTech Firewire adapter. when I installed it I had a similar problem. I had to boot into safe mode to install it. but after installing the drivers for this card it works. and I did not have to use the legacy drivers. 

the Presonus likes the TI chipset and that is what both of the cards use. there is a short list of firewire cards that are compatable with the unit. I can only assume I got a bad SYBA card or the SYBA is not compatible with the ASROCK Taichi or the X370 chipset.

but it IS possible to get firewire on the X370 Chipset. 

thanks for the help

TooQik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 6:17pm
@datgeek

When you say you tried installing the legacy drivers, did you download the installation package and try the drivers from this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2970191/firewire-port-based-device-does-not-work-correctly-in-windows-8-1-or-w

These are meant to work with Windows 10 according to the Syba USA web site for your card.

I also doubt that a Firewire to USB adapter, as per above, will work as the protocols are different.

Edited by TooQik - 15 May 2018 at 6:45pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 6:03pm
Before you go out and spend a lot more on a new firewire AIC I would try what Kerberos suggested, USB speeds have come a long way and firewire is largely redundant as a result. If it works for you then you will have a stable system as well as a less deflated wallet, if not, you are only out a couple of $$ and you may well find a use for the adapter elsewhere.

As for firewire AICs (add in cards) that work with the Taichi, I am afraid I don't know, I have never had the occasion to use one (with newer boards), all my DAW builds have used either USB or Thunderbolt connections.
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 4:32pm
whats so good about firewire?
tbh if u have firewire devices and u really need firewire, then u can use firewire to usb adapters
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/firewire-to-usb which can cost anything from 1usd
datgeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datgeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:57pm
I have the same question. I started Building a Ryzen system strictly for a DAW that needs firewire. 

I started it in march and have had tons of problems

Taichi x370
Ryzen 1700
GSkill F4-3200C15D-32GTZR
Samsung 860 512 NVME (Boot) Primary M2
Samsung 860 256 (Data) 2nd M2 Slot
2x WD Datacenter 2tb Drived in Raid for storage
XFX GTS Black edition RX 580 8GB (Current) 

also tried 2x EVGA GTX 770's but swapped them for the rx 580 when I thought the Video card was my problem.

everything would run but lots of programs would not install like the AMD chipset drivers and the video drivers. I must have re-installed windows 20 or more times. last week I tried the 1803 build thinking it would work.

in a few installs I could get the firewire card working and seeing my DAW but it was not stable. so Last week I tried taking out the firewire card during the windows install. WOW everything worked great. 

I am using the Presonus Studiolive AI mixer and it likes the TI Chipset for firewire so I bought the SYBA TI Chipset firewire card https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124107

in the review section there was a note to hook up the power supply to the card. tried that it did not help. my Presonus does not need the powered port anyway. 

My first searches told me to use the legacy drivers for the firewire in WIN 10. this is when I first thought I might have a problem with the firewire card as I could only change drivers in safe mode. and led me to try taking the card out of the picture. 

now that I have a stable system I am searching for a card that will work. only to read that the Taichi may not like firewire and I have a $2500 paperweight. 

I am ready to but another firewire card and am looking at the StarTech brand, I know they make good stuff. but is the problem in the motherboard and not the card ?

I hope someone can help

Thanks
Overgrowth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Overgrowth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 4:16am
Greetings,

I'm wondering if I am able to add firewire ports to my Taichi x370 via pcie card? Couldn't find any info on this anywhere other than 'firewire is not supported'. Does this mean a firewire pcie card is not compatible? Thanks in advance.

Ryzen 1700x/Taichi x370
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic