ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350M Pro4 freezing at reboot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trolleyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350M Pro4 freezing at reboot
    Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 12:57am
Hi all,

I built my system a couple of months ago and recently I have started experiencing a strange problem. Whenever I try to reboot my computer (from Windows, from BIOS setup, does not matter), it starts rebooting, restarts the fans at max speed, then turns them to silent mode (as configured in BIOS) and freezes there with no output from the GPU. Fans keep on spinning at low ROM and nothing is happening (I did try waiting for about 10 minutes) until I hold the power button for several seconds to turn the machine off. I don't have a reset button on my case, so I turn it off, wait for about 15 sec or more, and turn it back on. It then boots just fine. If I turn it on immediately without waiting, it won't boot (will repeat the same sequence - start the fans at max speed, turn them to silent mode, freeze).

Other than that, the computer is working flawlessly. Here's my config:

AB350M Pro4 (current 3.10 BIOS)

Ryzen 5 1600

Samsung SSD 960 Evo M.2 250GB (from the QVL list)

G.Skill Fortis 16GB DDR4 16GHT Kit (2x8GB) F4-2400C15D-16GFT (from the QVL list)

ASUS GeForce GTX1050Ti-DC2O4G

Be quiet Pure Power L8 400 Watt

Nothing is overclocked.

Here's what I have tried:

• Setting RAM to 2133 MHz
  • Removing each RAM stick and leaving just one of them
  • Putting RAM sticks into different slots
  • Updating BIOS from 3.00 to 3.10
  • Cleared CMOS twice using the jumper and by taking the battery out

Nothing seemed to have any effect except clearing CMOS - it helped for a while and 2 or 3 reboots are going well and then it starts happening again (even if I don't change any BIOS settings). So I have a feeling that this problem has something to do with the motherboard/BIOS/CMOS/whatever, since clearing CMOS solves it for a while.

Any advice?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 10:40am
Originally posted by trolleyfan trolleyfan wrote:

Hi all,

I built my system a couple of months ago and recently I have started experiencing a strange problem. Whenever I try to reboot my computer (from Windows, from BIOS setup, does not matter), it starts rebooting, restarts the fans at max speed, then turns them to silent mode (as configured in BIOS) and freezes there with no output from the GPU. Fans keep on spinning at low ROM and nothing is happening (I did try waiting for about 10 minutes) until I hold the power button for several seconds to turn the machine off. I don't have a reset button on my case, so I turn it off, wait for about 15 sec or more, and turn it back on. It then boots just fine. If I turn it on immediately without waiting, it won't boot (will repeat the same sequence - start the fans at max speed, turn them to silent mode, freeze).

Other than that, the computer is working flawlessly. Here's my config:

AB350M Pro4 (current 3.10 BIOS)

Ryzen 5 1600

Samsung SSD 960 Evo M.2 250GB (from the QVL list)

G.Skill Fortis 16GB DDR4 16GHT Kit (2x8GB) F4-2400C15D-16GFT (from the QVL list)

ASUS GeForce GTX1050Ti-DC2O4G

Be quiet Pure Power L8 400 Watt

Nothing is overclocked.

Here's what I have tried:

• Setting RAM to 2133 MHz
  • Removing each RAM stick and leaving just one of them
  • Putting RAM sticks into different slots
  • Updating BIOS from 3.00 to 3.10
  • Cleared CMOS twice using the jumper and by taking the battery out

Nothing seemed to have any effect except clearing CMOS - it helped for a while and 2 or 3 reboots are going well and then it starts happening again (even if I don't change any BIOS settings). So I have a feeling that this problem has something to do with the motherboard/BIOS/CMOS/whatever, since clearing CMOS solves it for a while.

Any advice?

Strange situation, difficult to know what is the cause.

Does the PC behave the same way with an earlier UEFI/BIOS version?

What version of Windows are you using?

You said this behavior started recently, so something changed that is now causing the issue. Do you install the GPU's driver yourself, or is it done by Windows update? Your GPU's trouible shooting information includes problems like you describe related to the driver:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1016113

Have you tried remounting the GPU? That includes both fully seating it in its slot with the slots locking tab open, and then closed when the card is in the slot. Your GPU uses power only from the PCIe slot, correct? So its seating in the slot is critical.

Securing the card to the PC case is also important, be sure the card is perpendicular to the board and not leaning to one side or the other. You can see that by looking at the card's IO ports compared to the metal part of the PC case between the open PCIe slots on the case. The IO ports should be parallel to the metal part of the PC case, with the card secured to the PC case. But it is possible that the card can be pulled or moved somewhat out of the PCIe slot when tightening the screws to the PC case

There is one thing that has an affect that seems consistent, turning off the PSU and letting it sit for 15 seconds. If you have another PSU, I would try using it to test if their is any difference.

Ryzen boards have a long, slow POST time, before Windows begins to load. That's why you hear the fans running at full speed for a while before the board's fan speed control becomes active. My Ryzen X370 board does the same thing.
trolleyfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trolleyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:13am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Does the PC behave the same way with an earlier UEFI/BIOS version?

I flashed 3.00 immediately after purchase, so I don't know how it behaves on earlier BIOS versions. Is it safe to downgrade to 2.xx versions?

What version of Windows are you using?

Windows 10 Home, but I don't think it matters. The same happens when I reboot from BIOS setup.

You said this behavior started recently, so something changed that is now causing the issue. Do you install the GPU's driver yourself, or is it done by Windows update? Your GPU's trouible shooting information includes problems like you describe related to the driver:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1016113

Thanks for the link, but that solution does not work for me. I am not able to enter Windows safe mode, I can't even enter BIOS setup. When I reboot the computer, I don't get any output from the GPU at all, no POST messages, nothing. As soon as it turns the fans to silent mode, it stops responding to any input and does not provide any output either. All I can do is long press the power button to perform force shut down.

Have you tried remounting the GPU? That includes both fully seating it in its slot with the slots locking tab open, and then closed when the card is in the slot. Your GPU uses power only from the PCIe slot, correct? So its seating in the slot is critical.

Yes, my GPU gets power only from the PCIe slot, and I have tried remounting it a few times. I had to take it out to reach the CMOS jumper and the battery.

There is one thing that has an affect that seems consistent, turning off the PSU and letting it sit for 15 seconds. If you have another PSU, I would try using it to test if their is any difference.

My PSU is not new, it was working perfectly with my previous build (A8-7650K). Anyway, I will try to get another one, and will post the results.

Thank you for your help.
Jonk1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonk1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 5:25am
Was a fix found for this? Mine just started doing the same thing
RealAntithesis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealAntithesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 7:37am
My Asrock AB350m Pro4 (1700X @ 3800Mhz, 32GB RAM @ 2.66Ghz) does something similar. Occasionally (like, only 15 minutes ago), it would fail to reboot properly when restarting from Windows (10). It would go to a blank screen, fans running, lights on, but not displaying anything on screen (and the keyboard doesn't have power - I have a Corsair K95). I have to then press the power button for 4 seconds to turn it off, then turn it back on and it then boots up normally. This is with BIOS 3.30, but this also happened with 3.10.

The example I was referring to was after the PC had been running all night, but I'm not sure if this makes a difference.

Edited by RealAntithesis - 18 Dec 2017 at 7:38am
trolleyfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trolleyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 3:12pm
Unfortunately I still have not identified which part of the system is responsible for the issue. More and more problems are popping with my build. At some point sleep mode stopped working, I started getting random freezes and reboots, etc. A certain part of my system is clearly degrading, but I'm not sure which one.

I have tested my PSU and GPU in another build and they were working fine, not a single issue in 10 days.

I have found out that my Ryzen has the segfault bug so I am going to try and replace it. If the issue persists with the new CPU, I think it is the motherboard.
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 2:38am
Ayy!!! Looks like a widespread issue.

Please try the DOS flash method for P3.30 (even though one of the guys has it already).

Also, can you try booting from a Live Linux USB, and then issue a reboot. It will be nice to see if it's Windoze related.

And finally, I'd encourage ALL of you to open a ticket with ASRock. It seems their technical staff is rarely taking actions based solely on form topics.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
B08AH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B08AH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 3:26am
Have the same bug.

I wonder if everyone having the issue also has M2 drive.

Just installed sata ssd, will try and see if issue is still there

PS It also freezes when i change something in bios and hit save and apply, so i do not think it is related to windows anyhow

Edited by B08AH - 22 Jan 2018 at 3:34am
davemc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davemc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 4:27pm
Did anyone find a solution for this? My AB350M Pro 4 is doing the exact same thing.
davemc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davemc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 4:41pm
FWIW I'm getting this problem and I'm using a sata ssd so it can't be M2 related.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic