ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi and boot beeps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danonano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Taichi and boot beeps
    Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:32am
Hey I'm using an X399 Taichi mobo which is working great except for 6 boot beeps plus the debug code "FC" when it posts.  I haven't been able to find an explanation for either the 6 beeps or the FC code anywhere.  Any ideas?
JUANNY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUANNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Danonano Danonano wrote:

Hey I'm using an X399 Taichi mobo which is working great except for 6 boot beeps plus the debug code "FC" when it posts.  I haven't been able to find an explanation for either the 6 beeps or the FC code anywhere.  Any ideas?

not sure but I ran into these during my internet travels
1 short beep     Memory Error
2 short beeps     Memory parity check error
3 short beeps     Basic memory 64K address check error
4 short beeps     Real Time Clock malfunction
5 short beeps     CPU error
6 short beeps     Keyboard error
7 short beeps     CPU interruption error
8 short beeps     Graphic card error
9 short beeps     Memory error
10 short beeps     CMOS error

FC - Reserved for future AMI error codes
11 short beeps     CPU cache memory malfunction
1 long, 3 short     Conventional/Extended memory failure
1 long, 8 short     Display/Retrace test failed
two-tone siren     Low CPU Fan speed, Voltage Level issue

Edited by JUANNY - 14 Nov 2017 at 9:32am
Asrock X399 Fatality Pro Gaming Bios 2.0 Threadripper 1950X Cpu cooler Enermax 360 mm TR4 GSkill 64 GB F4-2933C14Q-64GFX Windows 10 X64 PRO Version 1709 Build 16299.19 2X EVGA 1080 TI in SLI mode
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 11:49am

If the PC boots the OS, or you can get into the UEFI/BIOS UI, then POST completed successfully. The only debug code that matters is the last one displayed when POST fails. If POST completes fine, the code has no significance and can be ignored.

Danonano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danonano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 4:04am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

If the PC boots the OS, or you can get into the UEFI/BIOS UI, then POST completed successfully. The only debug code that matters is the last one displayed when POST fails. If POST completes fine, the code has no significance and can be ignored.

Yes it does boot normally, but it's getting harder to ignore the 6 beeps.  This is a new build, but the 6 beeps only started in the last few days.  
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:10pm
its definately 6 in a row and not 2x3 ?

2x3 is am4 trying to make the bios settings work (eg am4 advanced boot training) usually related to ram settings on cold boots, eg lower initial volts and cool capacitors etc causing panic in the system Wink
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
bas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 12:16pm
Did somebody solve the problem i have a similar situation, my setup is:

* AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X - Processor
* ASRock X399 TAICHI - Moederbord ATX
* Corsair Vengeance LPX - DDR4 4 x 16 GB 3200 MHz - 1.35 V - CL16 - 16-18-18-36

When configuring the memory other than SPD - 2133 MHz - 1.2 V - CL15 - 15-15-15-36 i have 6 beeps on boot up but the system seems to be working fine.

I don't believe it is related to am4 advanced boot training.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 10:54am
Originally posted by bas bas wrote:

Did somebody solve the problem i have a similar situation, my setup is:

* AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X - Processor
* ASRock X399 TAICHI - Moederbord ATX
* Corsair Vengeance LPX - DDR4 4 x 16 GB 3200 MHz - 1.35 V - CL16 - 16-18-18-36

When configuring the memory other than SPD - 2133 MHz - 1.2 V - CL15 - 15-15-15-36 i have 6 beeps on boot up but the system seems to be working fine.

I don't believe it is related to am4 advanced boot training.

I assume you are using the 2.00 UEFI/BIOS version?

I heard from ASRock today about this situation. They have duplicated it occurring in some situations when using the 2.00 UEFI version of the X399 Taichi. That is, the six beeps and the appearance of the FC POST code. This does not happen with the previous UEFI version. ASRock is looking into it. This obviously appears to be a fix in the UEFI, so nothing a user can do except what you will notice in the description below.

As I said, and ASRock told me the same thing, as long as POST completes successfully (it does) and Windows 10 boots (it does), then there is no problem. As you said, you have not detected any other problem, and your memory speed and timings were applied and detected in Windows, correct?

The FC POST code is new and belongs to the new Threadripper AGESA processor microcode. Why the beeps occur is the actual question, when nothing is wrong. That is what is being analyzed.

POST codes just identify each POST sub-process/test. Their appearance on the Dr Debug display simply indicates which POST test is running. If a POST test fails, the POST process stops, we cannot get into the UEFI/BIOS UI and the OS will not boot. The POST code that is displayed in that situation can give us a clue regarding the source of the problem.

ASRock found the beeps occur in this scenario:

The XMP profile is enabled, and the memory speed is set (by the XMP profile or manually) above the JEDEC stock/default speed of the DDR4 memory being used.

For example, using DDR4 with a JEDEC speed of 2133, enabling the XMP profile with an OC speed of 3000 will cause the beeping. Actually using any memory speed above the JEDEC 2133 speed (2400, 2666) with the XMP profile enabled will cause the beeping to occur.

If your DDR4 memory has a JEDEC speed of 2666, you would not get any beeping unless the XMP profile is enabled and the memory speed is set above 2666. If anyone cares to try this themselves, feel free and let us know what happens.

The Ryzen memory and AGESA journey is not over yet... Confused

bas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 2:54pm
@parsec
Thank you for this extended answer.

I have replaced the memory that I was using with Kingston HyperX Predator HX430C15PB3K4/64 which is on the Memory QVL list of the motherboard, but the beeps are still there.

Just to confirm, i also have the FC debug code when the beeps occur and I'm using bios version 2.0. CPUz is showing the correct memory values. As you describe the beeps are only there when using an XMP profile or a manual configuration.

I have opened a support call with ASRock for this problem, we are just getting started they basically wanted to know what debug code was displayed during the beeps I reported FC ;-), so no news for now from my part.

Here is my current system setup to make this discussion complete:

PRODUCT INFORMATION
--------------------------------------------------------
Model Name    : X399 TAICHI/A/ASRK
Purchase Date : 09 Nov, 2017
Version BIOS  : 2.00
Serial Number : 79M0XB495309
Problem Type  : Memory

CONFIGURATION
--------------------------------------------------------
CPU    : AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 
Memory : Kingston HyperX Predator HX430C15PB3K4/64
VGA    : MSI Geforce GTX 1050 TI 4GT OC
HDD    : Samsung 960 PRO MZ-V6P512BW
ODD    : -
OS     : Windows 10

I will send a update as soon as i have some relevant information to share.
J Z View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 8:16pm
Kind Regards,
JZ

https://shop.JZelectronic.de - Der Shop mit ausgesuchter ASRock Profi Hardware

https://www.facebook.com/asrock.de
ssateneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssateneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 12:36pm
The fault is a change in AGESA. if you flash UEFI version 1.70 for taichi/fatal1ty, the beep issue goes away. If you use 1.80 or 2.00, the beeping comes back. The beeping is just a false error and can be ignored, but if the issue bothers you, just downgrade to 1.70.

I get 6 beep code FC then it proceeds to boot normally after beeping when using any memory speed higher than 2133 stock. I downgraded to 1.70 and beep issue went away.

I already knew about this when 1.80 came out but my posts were ignored, now the issue actually comes up with retail UEFI public release of 2.00 and the issue is more public, bad on Asrock !

Edited by ssateneth - 17 Dec 2017 at 12:39pm
MB: X399 Taichi, UEFI L3.32
VGA: EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
PSU: Seasonic PRIME 1300 W PLATINUM
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
MEM: 4x16GB, 3600MHz G.Skill Trident Z F4-3600C17Q-64GTZKW
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic