ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z370 Taichi, Awful Audio Issue when Overclocking..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z370 Taichi, Awful Audio Issue when Overclocking..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brucer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z370 Taichi, Awful Audio Issue when Overclocking..
    Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:47pm
I have awful audio distortion when overclocking anything over 4.6ghz with an I5-8600k.. I've tried increasing pch 1.0 voltage up in .05v increments with no help whatsoever..

I actually think this board is messed up, think the chipset is messed up, think it needs to be be rma'ed.. now seriously thinking about just buying a different board to replace it... disappointed with the bios on this asrock board also..

Seriously, I thought audio issues were resolved in the early 2000's when motherboard manufacturers started "isolating the onboard audio..  I think Asrock forgot to do it on the z370 Taichi... I've also started to see other asrock z370 boards popping up with audio issues..  Please dont tell me Asrock is cheaping out on the onboard audio nowadays on these high end boards..

this is a recording of the distorted audio  https://www.dropbox.com/s/4s3wad0wo6dtfxk/audio2.m4a?dl=0

The audio distortion gets worse the higher the overclock, no matter what vcore voltage or pch1.0 voltage I use..  I can run 4.6ghz at any where from 1.28 to 1.35 vcore, as soon as I go up to 4.7 ghz, any where from 1.3 to 1.39vcore I get the audio issues, I've also increased the pch 1.0 to 1.05/1.1/1.15 with no difference whatsoever..  I think its the chipset...

I know the psu is good, I've ran it in another machine for the past year with no issues whatsoever.. Its an evga 750 G2 gold rated, it is not the psu.. I also tested a seasonic m12 II 750x psu in it and no difference..

Edited by brucer - 15 Nov 2017 at 1:52pm
Asrock x570 Taichi, Ryzen3800x, 32gb Gskill Royal 36000mhz@ 3733mhz, Samsung 250gb 970evo plus for OS drive, Sabrent Rocket 1tb nvme storage drive.
brucer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brucer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 3:39am
anyone?
Asrock x570 Taichi, Ryzen3800x, 32gb Gskill Royal 36000mhz@ 3733mhz, Samsung 250gb 970evo plus for OS drive, Sabrent Rocket 1tb nvme storage drive.
amd7674 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amd7674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 2:36am
@brucer

any luck?   What drivers are you using?  is this on rear and front outputs?

What GPU are you using?   there is another thread about coil whine from gtx 1080 getting into audio inputs.

I'm waiting for 8700k to arrive, and I'm trying to decide if I should keep taichi (unused, since no CPU) or go for hero x or gaming 7 (my last resort).   It seems all z370 have some sort of audio issues ;-( (including hero and gaming 7)
brucer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brucer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 5:54am
i'm running a zotac 1080amp edition..

It only happens when I go over 46 multiplier when overclocking the cpu, 4.6 or below its fine.. anything over 46 I get the distortion..

I can overclock my gpu +150/+200 and it doesnt affect it in any way...  as soon as I change the multiplier to anything over 4600 (for asrock) I get the audio issue again..

I think its the z370 chipset itself or these mobo manufacturers using cheap on board audio solutions.

eComposer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eComposer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 6:45pm
Hi brucer,

I'm not sure I know the answer as there are quite a few variables involved, and I'm sure some of the experts here may have a totally different perspective.

Audio distortion can happen for a broad range of reasons.

I mix and master and record music, and I've found there are all sorts of Microsoft services and drivers that can clog up even the most ostensibly powerful hardware since real time audio is very vulnerable to anything locking up any part of the I/O chain.

For example, if you go into task manager and then look at the performance monitoring, you'll see a huge amount of Microsoft (and often cyber security) services completely clogging up the local network with all sorts of monitoring/reporting services, and these can actually lock out a key CPU core for long enough to cause all sorts of irritating clicks, pops, freezes, and possibly in your case "thunks".

It's all about you can only go as fast as the slowest ship/ restricted by the most clogged bottleneck.

The sound I heard I suspect if you're using the onboard audio vs an Audio Interface, could be in part caused by this kind of Microsoft BS.  It's like the boffins at Microsoft colluded to screw up anyone wanting real time sound and deliberately developed crappy code to clog up the latest Intel CPUs.  It just takes one incompatibility, or minor crash of even the most irrelevant and redundant service, and your TCP IP gets clogged with myriads of stupid meaningless Microsoft monitoring and reporting services all talking to each other and reporting each time one of them has a performance issue that they then lock up your cores while the real time audio processes are needlessly halted for processes that are completely irrelevant and actually counterproductive to your primary use.

I've been fighting this for a LONG time, and frankly Microsoft has a FU attitude about this.  I think from the reactions I've had that they actually thrive on causing no end of problems for people who want real time audio or video. If it's anything not Microsoft, they devise ways to sabotage it.  Honestly I'd love to sue them in a class action if we could prove there was collusion.  

OK, anti-Microsoft rave over...

Hope this perspective provides some perspectives to consider.  Try disabling anything in start up that may contribute to this issue.  Also, actively go into task manager and end unwanted stupid services that are chewing up bandwith.  You can test latency with latencymon too.  In performance in task manager, this will have the monitoring you can select, and you can watch CPU, network, and disk activity.  If you see a lot of peaks in network/disk activity, you can actually see which services are involved, which gives a clue.

I bet your CPU cores don't even break a sweat (under 25% utilization), yet your real time audio will pop/crack/freeze for no apparent reason because all this crap halts processing on a key core for some irrelevant service, and that will actively kill your real time playback/recording if it jams up the real time processing for long enough.  This happens even with the fastest hardware and configs etc.

Honestly, I'm at the end of my tether trying to fight this since Windows 8-10 have been released.

As I said, I think this is deliberate Microsoft sabotage, and frankly there is not much we can do about it, other than take risks removing these sabotage services and messing with the registry to try to kill these.  And even then, they often tie them to a necessary part of the OS, so if you kill them outright, it hurts key processes and crashes or impairs the OS and other applications.

Add to that all the other aspects that play into this, and it's a bloody nightmare.  Microsoft can go jump up a rope and hang themselves, they are corporate vandals in my view.  (In case you missed my angst, LOL).
göer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote göer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 5:31pm
eComposer,
This will be kinda off topic but I want to hear your opinion about music recording.
I'm putting together a basic home studio kit. A condenser mic and MIDI keyboard is ready, now it's time to get a DAC sound card. Upon taking a closer look in the audio specs of my AB350N/itx motherboard it seemed pretty sufficient to me. 
Should I get a discrete DAC? 
eComposer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eComposer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 4:16am
Goer:  I've been locked out from answering so will try to send a private message instead

Edited by eComposer - 18 Jan 2018 at 4:16am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic