ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock X399 & Memory issues on my build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock X399 & Memory issues on my build
    Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 2:17am
Hey All,

I just built a Threadripper 1950X with the following components:

- Threadripper 1950X
- Raijintek Thetis case
- Enermax Liqtech TR4 240
- Samsung EVO 960
- G.Skill Tridentz 2x 16GB kits 3200CL14 (so I bought 2 Dual kits)
- MSI 1070
- Corsair Ax860i

I have the following problem: I can't get Quad channel to work at all, because the 8th memory slot is unrecognized. It was working when I first installed Windows... I remember seeing 32GB, but now it only shows 24GB. Cpu-Z and Speccy correctly report 32GB in Windows. The BIOS is 1.30 and also reports 32GB. The memory normally runs at 2133 Mhz but when I tried 3200Mhz, it didn't boot with a module installed in the 8th slot. When I try other configurations, I do get 3200Mhz, but not Quad channel. 

I've googled it a little bit and it looks like I'm not the only one with issues regarding memory and  the 8th memory slot.

So far, the possible solutions that I've come across are:
- Reseat the cpu because it might not be aligned properly (yea right.)
- Disable the wifi or remove it completely
- To get Quad channel, try A1, B1, C1 and D1 instead of A2, B2, C2 and D2.
- Flash BIOS to 1.80
- Get Quad channel matched memory (I highly doubt that memory is super tuned like that)

I'm at work now but I will try these tonight. I'm pretty disappointed that Asrock released an almost $500 motherboard (including tax) that doesn't even take standard memory properly that doesn't work in a specific memory slot. I'm glad I didn't get 64GB (8x8GB).

One of the suggestions to fix it is re-seating the cpu, but I don't want to do that because I spent $25 on LM cooling paste. Also, I believe saw the 32GB before. I think it might have to do with some of the settings in the BIOS. Once a certain setting has been changed, something breaks and doesn't go back.

Anyway I'll keep you updated, if anybody has a possible fix, please let me know!

Edit:

I was able to get Quad channel to work at 3200Mhz, all four sticks working properly. 

- Flashing BIOS didn't work.
- Disabling Wifi didn't work.
- Setting Memory Interleaving to "Channel" didn't work.
- Trying other configurations didn't work (A1/B1/C1/D1).

At this point, it was clear to me that one of the Memory Controllers on the cpu wasn't working properly. I couldn't get the system to boot at all with ANY of the modules in the 8th slot. Any other combination of memory and slot would work fine. I was out of options and decided to re-seat the cpu, which fixed the problem right away. That definitely beats RMA'ing the motherboard, which I'm sure a lot of people will end up doing. 

I don't think the cpu was actually not seated properly, I think there might be a bug in the BIOS somewhere that activates after you make a particular change. I still disabled the Wifi right after the first boot, I don't need it anyway.

I'm now super-scared to make any more changes in the BIOS, which really sucks.

Edited by Keats - 18 Nov 2017 at 6:54am
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 5:21am
It's not necessarily Asrock's fault. I can tell you I had problems with 3200mhz tridentZ RAM. I bought a 4x16gb kit.

The RAM reported 1100mhz in UEFI, and things were not working right. I didn't have issues on the first week, and even was able to stress test the RAM all day with no errors. Eventually, I ran into problems, and I suspect it's the RAM.

Many people have recommended not bothering pushing your RAM speed over 3000mhz with Threadripper, as it won't be a stable system. If you want anything over 2400 because you want to overclock, I recommend getting the Flare X modules from Gskill that just came out. So again, this points out to a platform wide problem, rather than with one particular motherboard model.

Some others might have had some luck with other modules, but you should wait for confirmations before trying a specific RAM/motherboard configuration.
Keats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 6:08am
Originally posted by daddyo daddyo wrote:

It's not necessarily Asrock's fault. I can tell you I had problems with 3200mhz tridentZ RAM. I bought a 4x16gb kit.

The RAM reported 1100mhz in UEFI, and things were not working right. I didn't have issues on the first week, and even was able to stress test the RAM all day with no errors. Eventually, I ran into problems, and I suspect it's the RAM.

Many people have recommended not bothering pushing your RAM speed over 3000mhz with Threadripper, as it won't be a stable system. If you want anything over 2400 because you want to overclock, I recommend getting the Flare X modules from Gskill that just came out. So again, this points out to a platform wide problem, rather than with one particular motherboard model.

Some others might have had some luck with other modules, but you should wait for confirmations before trying a specific RAM/motherboard configuration.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. I've read about plenty of (Threadripper and other) builds using this particular memory. The memory is generic 3200Mhz and should be easily able to achieve those speeds.  The fact that all the sticks worked in any of the slots except the 8th slot or in any combination with the 8th slot clearly points to a memory controller issue on the cpu. It's either a Foxconn problem that actually doesn't seat the cpu right (which I find highly unlikely), or it's an actual bug in the AMD BIOS that is causing the memory controller on the cpu to not get addressed properly. I mean seriously, the sockets don't allow much room for error and inserting the cpu wrong is almost impossible. Combine that with the fact that not just on mine, but on other people's machines as well, re-seating the cpu fixed the issue right away? Clearly something gets reset internally which allows it to work.

My next step is to OC the BCLK, we'll see how well Ryzen likes faster memory.
JUANNY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUANNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Keats Keats wrote:

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. I've read about plenty of (Threadripper and other) builds using this particular memory. The memory is generic 3200Mhz and should be easily able to achieve those speeds.  The fact that all the sticks worked in any of the slots except the 8th slot or in any combination with the 8th slot clearly points to a memory controller issue on the cpu. It's either a Foxconn problem that actually doesn't seat the cpu right (which I find highly unlikely), or it's an actual bug in the AMD BIOS that is causing the memory controller on the cpu to not get addressed properly. I mean seriously, the sockets don't allow much room for error and inserting the cpu wrong is almost impossible. Combine that with the fact that not just on mine, but on other people's machines as well, re-seating the cpu fixed the issue right away? Clearly something gets reset internally which allows it to work.

I think your memory or your board is faulty. I just finished putting together my 1950x build using the x399 fatality pro. Im using the new flare x that is optimized for TR

F4-2933C14Q-64GFX It booted fine and is now running at 2933 cl 14 fully stable BTW can anyone see my sig cause I cant

Asrock X399 Fatality Pro Gaming Bios 2.0 Threadripper 1950X Cpu cooler Enermax 360 mm TR4 GSkill 64 GB F4-2933C14Q-64GFX Windows 10 X64 PRO Version 1709 Build 16299.19 2X EVGA 1080 TI in SLI mode
Keats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 6:53am
Originally posted by JUANNY JUANNY wrote:

Originally posted by Keats Keats wrote:

I think your memory or your board is faulty. I just finished putting together my 1950x build using the x399 fatality pro. Im using the new flare x that is optimized for TR

F4-2933C14Q-64GFX It booted fine and is now running at 2933 cl 14 fully stable BTW can anyone see my sig cause I cant

Hey I can see your signature!

I was able to get mine to work at 3200Mhz (as you can see from my original post in the Edit section. I don't think my memory or motherboard were faulty.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 6:54am
Keats, please post your specifications in yur signature as I have and include the versions of your OS and BIOS and power supply.  I find the BIOS quite well done and works mostly - RAID is an exception.  You must explain exactly what your failures are not just "didn't work" especially BIOS update.  Before BIOS is updated, you should open BIOS hit F9 (Load UEFI Defaults), F10 (Save and Exit), open BIOS and use the Instant Flash (never Windows!!!) to update BIOS then open BIOS and do F9, F10.  Let us know how it goes.  Do not mess with Memory Interleaving.  It does not surprise me at all that your memory did not work at speed on the old BIOS/AGESA.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 2:07am
My memory was not faulty. I ran mem test for an entire day with it. 

It seems you misunderstand what I said. I doubt the RAM was faulty in the first place. There seems to be little consensus on what RAM is best suited for this platform.

After switching to the gskill flareX, same as yours, I have not had any issues. I did end up RMA'ing the motherboard for good measure.

Edited by daddyo - 21 Nov 2017 at 2:09am
LurkerLito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LurkerLito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 3:26am
Well all I can say is that with the latest bios 1.80 I can run 3200 but it isn't stable. I can run for hours but at some point Win 10 Pro will BSOD. So 1.80 did make the memory stable enough to even run a full HCI memtest overnight in both Windows and booting to it's own mem test program (bought the memtest deluxe program), but still for some reason as soon as I start using the system it will just randomly BSOD. So I dropped the ram speed to 3066 and now everything is perfectly stable with 0 BSODs since. The memory definitely isn't bad, and I doubt anything else is either, but for my system 3200 is just not working properly.
AMD 1950x; ASRock X399 Fatal1ty V2.00; 64GB(4x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 CL14 (running 3066); EVGA 1080Ti SC2 Hybrid; Enermax TR4 360 AIO
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:38am
its basically not 100% happy with the settings in bios for xmp (remember these settings are designed for intel bios ,and intel bios has been tweaked by board makers to use these rams

soooooooo  what do you do ?

i suggest using the ryzen dram calculator to tweak the stock xmp settings to suit amd
follow the guide and remember to change all settings as they work WITH EACH OTHER

http://www.overclock.net/t/1640919/ryzen-dram-calculator-overclocking-dram

remember to set all left hand colum to your specs eg
ram quaility UHQ
dual sided
4 sticks
3200 mhz

then copy in the fields as shown in guide

hit calculate 'safe' settings and she should boot with the given numbers quite happily

Edited by datonyb - 21 Nov 2017 at 4:38am
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
LurkerLito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LurkerLito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 8:50am
Wow I didn't think someone had a calculator for it. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

Edited by LurkerLito - 21 Nov 2017 at 8:50am
AMD 1950x; ASRock X399 Fatal1ty V2.00; 64GB(4x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 CL14 (running 3066); EVGA 1080Ti SC2 Hybrid; Enermax TR4 360 AIO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic