ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X399 Fatal1ty temperature sensors wrong, stays on
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Fatal1ty temperature sensors wrong, stays on

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sydius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Fatal1ty temperature sensors wrong, stays on
    Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 4:19am
Symptoms:
  • UEFI "advanced mode" CPU temperature reads as 204 C
  • UEFI "advanced mode" motherboard temperature reads as -1 C
  • UEFI "easy mode" temperature alternates between Japanese characters and the date
  • After shutdown, peripherals turn off but fans and power LED never turn off until I hold down the power button for ~5 seconds
  • The hex display on the motherboard reads "00" and the lights glow red
Windows boots fine, everything runs OK, the AMD ThreadRipper utility displays the CPU temperature as being ~34 C. No instability and no other problems that I can find.

I updated the UEFI firmware to the latest version and reset the CMOS using the button on the motherboard. Neither fixed these issues.

Do I have a bad motherboard? I assume it's the motherboard since both sensors are reporting the wrong numbers (my house is nowhere near freezing). Could it be the CPU, though? 
Sydius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sydius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 4:27am
Here are some images:

Looks like parts of Korean characters, not Japanese, but definitely not right...
Sydius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sydius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 4:39am
I also notice that the 1.8V is at over 4V. That seems scary! Have I fried my CPU?

I'm hoping the sensors are all just wrong because, like I said, Windows boots fine and nothing seems amiss otherwise. The AMD overclocking tool did show it going up to 4.1 GHz boost even though the max is supposed to be 4 GHz and I did not change any settings in UEFI and did not touch any settings in the tool. I hope that's also just a rounding error or something.
Sydius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sydius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 10:29am
I went ahead and issued an RMA with NewEgg, but I would still love to hear anybody's opinion about this out of curiosity. My thinking is that my CPU is probably OK because it would have seriously ruined it immediately if it was actually pumping in 4V, right? It shouldn't be able to boot to Windows and compile a bunch of software (as was my test of my new toy).
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 8:44am
I think you did the right thing, Sydius.  Something is bad on your board, but I have never seen anything like it.  Please let us hear how it turns out.  BTW, F12 will copy a screenshot to a plugged FAT formatted USB stick.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
ssateneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssateneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:17am
Obviously something very wrong with the UEFI (Tried updating it?), or the sensor chip(s).  Probably should have tried RMAing directly through asrock (Most product boxes ask you RMA through manufacturer and not retailer)
MB: X399 Taichi, UEFI L3.32
VGA: EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
PSU: Seasonic PRIME 1300 W PLATINUM
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
MEM: 4x16GB, 3600MHz G.Skill Trident Z F4-3600C17Q-64GTZKW
Sydius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sydius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 3:05am
I got the replacement and all is well now. :)

I noticed, looking back at the screenshots, that the fans were running at 2^16-1 etc., so I'm pretty sure the UEFI was just completely borked (and yes, I updated it and that didn't fix it).

NewEgg was kind enough to cross-ship me a replacement.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic