ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fan Profile speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fan Profile speed
    Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 2:20am
Hi guys

A real strange one for you all...

I was playing with my fan profiles in bios yesterday - setting custom curves across all the different fan headers.  All seemed fine, all fans quietened and rpm knocked down to less than 1000rpm.  Did a little testing and all fan speeds responded to my changes to lower and raise speeds.

Booted up from cold today - chassis fan1 and cpu1opt and both spinning at full rpm (1200) - and are ignoring all attempts at changing the speeds in bios!!

Taichi X370 bios v 3.00

Any ideas?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 5:23am
reset the cmos ?

i must admit i get baffled by any taichi post about rgb and fan tuning

as i myself cannot work out why to play with it in first place

my cpu fan runs just plug and play and i never hear it
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 11:29am
Originally posted by squeaky squeaky wrote:

Hi guys

A real strange one for you all...

I was playing with my fan profiles in bios yesterday - setting custom curves across all the different fan headers.  All seemed fine, all fans quietened and rpm knocked down to less than 1000rpm.  Did a little testing and all fan speeds responded to my changes to lower and raise speeds.

Booted up from cold today - chassis fan1 and cpu1opt and both spinning at full rpm (1200) - and are ignoring all attempts at changing the speeds in bios!!

Taichi X370 bios v 3.00

Any ideas?

Do you use your board's A-Tuning program in Windows? Have it set to auto-run after Windows boots?

If you do, then the A-Tuning fan configuration, whatever it is set to, will override that of the UEFI/BIOS settings.

Otherwise, that is a strange situation. So after the cold boot when the fans seemed to loose your fan speed configuration, when you checked in the UEFI again, the settings were the same as when you configured them the first time? Meaning the configuration was there, but seemingly ignored?

I assume you were using the FAN-Tastic Tuning option in the UEFI? Normally when you configure fan headers with it, you are prompted to save the changes when you exit or change to a different fan header. But you saved your changes before exiting FAN-Tastic Tuning?

The difference between 1200RPM and "less than 1000RPM" is not that much, so something like an increase in the CPU temperature could cause the fans to spin faster.

Did you happen to run the Fan Tuning feature, after you used FAN-Tastic Tuning? Fan Tuning runs a test on your fans and sets the fan speed curves depending upon your fan's characteristics. But you said nothing seemed to allow you to change the fan speeds after that one cold boot, so that is odd.

If you tried a different memory OC that failed, the UEFI will reset your memory settings to stock/default values to let the PC boot. But that should not change the fan settings, so I don't know what happened. Confused

Maybe you had some UEFI corruption if nothing else explains the situation. I suggest updating from version 3.00 to 3.10 or 3.20, since 3.10 introduced additional temperature configuration options for each header, which provides more accurate fan speed control. Please use the Instant Flash update method, it is the most reliable.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Taichi/index.asp#BIOS
squeaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 5:58pm
Thanks Parsec

It is very strange, my overclock and all other profile settings are fine and haven't changed.  It was all working fine, spinning up and down as the temps rose according to my settings, and now i can change the settings as much as i want and nothing!

I did use the fantastic tuning a couple of times to get some readings, but that is having no affect now either.

A-tuning software uninstalled and reinstalled, but it too is ignoring any attempts to change fan speeds.

Most puzzling.

I may flash bios, but I get a little nervous that I'll lose my current overclock stability - so i may end up buying a separate fan controller instead Unhappy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic