ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bricked Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X after BIOS update
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bricked Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X after BIOS update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n00bmistake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bricked Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X after BIOS update
    Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 6:51pm
Hello,

So just after getting my new r5 1600 build up and running I botched the BIOS update and now it won't boot (did it with AFUWINGUIx64.exe lmfao...). I guess all this time with dual bios made me overly confident about updating BIOS in windows and reading is clearly not my thing. I already ordered a programmer and a new bios chip since I always wanted to learn how to fix something like this myself, but delivery will take a 1 month.

Is there any other BIOS recovery option for this board I can try?

Cheers!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 7:14pm
That is a problem, the board uses a soldered on ROM so changing out the BIOS ROM isn't possible. I would contact Tech Support and work on getting an RMA repair. 

You can contact tech support from the ASRock website, just make sure to click the crosshatched circular icon (globe?) at the top right of the page and select your region first, this will ensure you get the nearest, best able to assist you, tech support department. 
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 7:54pm
i must say

when it is made so so very easy to update bios in the bios section via a usb or direct internet connection, why oh why did you use another option

as said i must agree your fastest method to get back into a working system would be to rma your board

and next time just use the super easy and simple bios instant flash option
(also note for you and any other readers)
it is advised to reset all bios settings back to default before flashing
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
n00bmistake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n00bmistake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

That is a problem, the board uses a soldered on ROM so changing out the BIOS ROM isn't possible.

Are you saying that if I remove the chip and solder the new one it would not work?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 12:36am
Provided it is a compatible chip and you have the skills/tools to do it, it should. The problem is that it would also void warranty. If it were to go wrong for whatever reason you would have to purchase a new board. 

If you do have the skills/tools and plan to go ahead with it anyway, you should be able to flash both the original and replacement ROMs and have a spare should you have issues again. Personally I miss the socketed ROMs but sadly it seems they are no longer available in sufficient quantities for motherboard manufacturers Cry

So, if the warranty isn't important to you and you are confident you can solder on a new ROM then by all means go ahead, let us know how it works out Big smile
n00bmistake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n00bmistake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 1:33am
First time for everything. I will practice my soldering on some dead electronics first. Chip looks simple enough and hopefully it will go without a hitch. I already ordered a new board since I was planing to do a microATX build next anyway so my new PC should be up and running again by Monday.

I will post an update when the chip gets here.

Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic