ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dual GPU not working on x399 Taichi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rhacker382 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhacker382 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual GPU not working on x399 Taichi
    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 3:22am
Curious what the result of this was??? I recently installed 2 ASUS GTX1070 and have the exact same problem.
noktek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noktek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 11:53pm
i mustve been mad the other day, since the card works perfectly fine on my other machine that runs windows 10, that can not be the reason---
Threadripper 1950, Asrock Taichi x399, Noctua 14s, Vengeance LPX 64gb 3066, Asus Strix 1080Ti, EVGA 780 SC, Corsair Hx1200, Samsung 960pro 512, evo 1gb, Barracuda 3gb, win10 64, bios 1.8
noktek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noktek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 8:56pm
i did try bios updates on the GPU and nothing changes

i recently found out the 780 is not certified for windows 10 and i doubt that is the problem fundamentally

does anyone know about how to go about this`? also considered theres a 1080 installed alongside

Threadripper 1950, Asrock Taichi x399, Noctua 14s, Vengeance LPX 64gb 3066, Asus Strix 1080Ti, EVGA 780 SC, Corsair Hx1200, Samsung 960pro 512, evo 1gb, Barracuda 3gb, win10 64, bios 1.8
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by happyferret happyferret wrote:

Hi MisterJ,

Thanks for the reply. I was planning on installing W10 on this machine eventually, so I used this problem as a good reason to buy a Samsung 960Pro 512Gb to install Windows on. The SSD will be here tomorrow and I will try to see if the same issue arises on Windows too, and will report my findings.

In the meantime, I thought of two other reasons that could explain my problem:

1. I use linux, but boot using BIOS legacy mode. I do not know why this could be an issue, and since both cards were recognized and usable some rare times, I do not think that can be the cause, but maybe ?
2. I do not enough 6-pins power cables to power both 1080 Ti AND the motherboard. I ordered one more cable, which should also arrive tomorrow, and I'll try to see if the problem is resolved when I can power both cards and the motherboard, my guts tell me this problem is power-related, but that's just an intuition.

For the cards, they are two different models, here are the details: (both cards have been swapped, and the problem persists in any configuration):

- PNY GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphic Card - 1.58 GHz Boost Clock
- GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Turbo 11GD, GV-N108TTURBO-11GD

Will be back with more updates, thank you all for your help!

Does your PSU have enough modular connections for a third video power cable? I wonder if the second "CPU" power cable connection is for the SOC VRM stage, or possibly that and the DRAM VRM. The problem may be really one of power distribution rather than power capacity.

It is important to let us know if the third cable allows both video cards to operate correctly. If it doesn't that means the problem might be related to the UEFI/BIOS.

The manual states the board's six pin graphics 12V power connector must be used when four video cards are installed. That is to provide additional power to the PCIe slots, which otherwise only get power from the +12V connectors on the main 24 pin ATX connector. There are only three +12V pins on the 24 pin ATX connector, which is not much and explains the need for the CPU power connectors. I am skeptical that two video cards will need the board's 12V power cable connected, but we shall see.

You can install Win 10 temporarily without buying a license, just using an ISO download from MSoft. That will work for at least 30 days.

The legacy boot thing with Linux should not be an issue, since the UEFI is configured by default to operate in legacy mode. Video cards don't require UEFI, but IF you UEFI boot the PC, then the video card must support UEFI/GOP. Your 1080s ought to do that, unless both of your manufactures are way behind in their VBIOS, which would be ridiculous IMO.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 12:10pm
noktek, your 780 is UEFI/GOP compatible, in case you are still wondering, the GPU-Z screenshot confirms it.

I put a second video card in my Ryzen PC today, end of the story first:

A little story here, I did not do my usual procedure of clearing the UEFI/BIOS when installing new hardware, just connected the 650 video card and started the PC. I updated its VBIOS to UEFI/GOP compatible years ago.

The first time I started the PC, I did not have a monitor connected to the 650. Win 10 got to the loading screen circle of dots, and then froze. I shut off the PC.

I then connected a monitor to the 650, borrowing one of the three monitors I had connected to the 960. I did nothing else at all, and started the PC. I have the ASRock logo screen disabled, so instead get a few lines of text displayed only on the primary monitor, with the two digit POST code. Ryzen's POST time is long, particularly in RAID mode, so that screen is visible for almost 10 seconds. I noticed I also had the same text and POST code display on the monitor connected to the 650. This time Win 10 booted to the Desktop fine.

But the Desktop was not really active, as the little blue activity wheel instead of the mouse pointer was spinning away for at least 30 seconds. The startup/POST text on the 650's monitor disappeared finally, and my usual background picture appeared on the 650's monitor. Win 10 was obviously loading the driver for the 650, which you cannot see above, but is the same version I installed for the 960, 23.21.13.8813.

The two video cards have been running fine now for about two hours. It seems to me that the normal behavior in the situation of adding a second video card to an existing PC would be for Windows to load a driver for the card. That was simple in my case since the same driver used by the 960 could be applied to the 650, so no download of another driver was necessary, I assume. Even in the worst case situation, say of a PC not connected to the Internet, without a compatible driver for the second card available, the generic Windows video driver that would be installed during a new Windows installation would be used, and installed on the 780. Do you agree?

Just to confirm for me, the GPU-Z screenshot was done on another PC, not on the X399 PC, correct? I only ask because I see it shows PCIe 2.0 as the interface. Not that it should make a difference.

The highest level question is, why wasn't a driver installed for the 780 video card? We don't have the same information from happyferret since he is not using Windows. But it is interesting (and telling) that he seems to have the same problem. How can we know specifically if it is the board's UEFI/BIOS that is the problem, not that I'm dismissing that. It is all to easy for another manufacture to pass off problems on the board's UEFI/BIOS, but it seems to be heading in that direction.

I have nothing new to suggest as a fix. I suppose an inadequate PSU problem with both users at 1200W seems improbable, but who knows? While my two video cards are not power hungry, I'm using a Seasonic 660W Gold PSU in my Ryzen X370/1700X PC. Can you run a monitoring program to check the PSU rails, to see if your +12V rail seems to be drooping below 12V, possibly as an indication of a power issue? That is shown in the H/W Monitoring screen in the UEFI.

I cannot find a TOLUD option in your board's manual, but as I said the manual is not up to date with all the UEFI updates. In the Advanced\AMD PBS screen there is the PCIe x16 Switch option, and the Promontory PCIe Switch option. What those options do, I don't know, but their default settings should allow multiple video cards, if these options were related to that. They are worth checking just in case.

One experiment for you, in the Boot screen in the UEFI, find the CSM option. Click on it to see its sub-options. Find the Launch Video OpROM Policy option, and set it to UEFI only. Then Save and Exit, boot into Windows, and see what happens. If you cannot boot after changing this option, you'll need to do a UEFI/CMOS clear to restore sanity, and that will work I promise.

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 5:43am
Thanks, happyferret.  I suggest you run GPU-Z on each of your cards and confirm that both are UEFI compatible.  If not, please see if you can find new vBIOS(s)  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 5:39am
noktek, good, hope something gets resolved.  Seems like the 780 driver was 388.31 not 388.13.  Can you try this one.  I don't remember the vBIOS version, but GPU-Z checks UEFI.  Please keep us up.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
happyferret View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happyferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 1:31am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

happyferret, is there any chance you would be willing to try W10?  Please flesh out your specifications with drives, memory, SSDs and anything else.  I suspect you you are well aware of how to run W10, but will be glad to give you some pointers if needed.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT:  Fun User ID!

Hi MisterJ,

Thanks for the reply. I was planning on installing W10 on this machine eventually, so I used this problem as a good reason to buy a Samsung 960Pro 512Gb to install Windows on. The SSD will be here tomorrow and I will try to see if the same issue arises on Windows too, and will report my findings.

In the meantime, I thought of two other reasons that could explain my problem:

1. I use linux, but boot using BIOS legacy mode. I do not know why this could be an issue, and since both cards were recognized and usable some rare times, I do not think that can be the cause, but maybe ?
2. I do not enough 6-pins power cables to power both 1080 Ti AND the motherboard. I ordered one more cable, which should also arrive tomorrow, and I'll try to see if the problem is resolved when I can power both cards and the motherboard, my guts tell me this problem is power-related, but that's just an intuition.

For the cards, they are two different models, here are the details: (both cards have been swapped, and the problem persists in any configuration):

- PNY GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphic Card - 1.58 GHz Boost Clock
- GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Turbo 11GD, GV-N108TTURBO-11GD

Will be back with more updates, thank you all for your help!
ASRock X399 Taichi, AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x, 2x NVIDIA 1080Ti, Seasonic 1200W Gold PSU
noktek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noktek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

noktek, seen this?
https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-780-SC-UEFI-post-error-m2503436.aspx

thank you! this is very interesting, and it is the exact same model i have, 03G-P4-2784-KR. Ill write EVGA again straight away... the last ticket was resolved as :  "contact mobo manufacturer for bios update"!

and here the CPU-Z screenshot

just wrote to the evga tech support, lets see if they have some good news for us!

Edited by noktek - 20 Nov 2017 at 5:09pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 12:47pm
In simple terms a UEFI compatible video card has a VBIOS that supports a UEFI protocol called GOP, Graphics Output Protocol. It's hard to explain everything related to UEFI vs BIOS firmware, but our UEFI firmware is by default run in an emulated BIOS firmware mode by the CSM, Compatibility Support Module, which is part of the UEFI/BIOS, and enabled by default.

There are multiple levels of UEFI vs BIOS (BIOS is also called Legacy) support, the main ones being storage (SSDs, HDDs) video, and networking. Since you probably have not set the CSM option in the UEFI to disabled, you should only be using the UEFI storage Option ROM in the UEFI. That happened when you installed Windows 10 on an NVMe SSD, and the installation media was booted from an entry like this: "UEFI: <device name>". In the boot order, your OS drive is listed as Windows Boot Manager: Samsung 960 Pro, or similar, correct?

If you had CSM disabled, and the video source (GPU or iGPU) did not support the UEFI/GOP protocol, you would have a black screen, no video output when the PC started. Your symptoms using the 780 seem to indicate it may not be UEFI/GOP compatible, but I'm not 100% certain of that. The 1080 has UEFI/GOP support, and I was surprised, given the EVGA forum link above (thanks for that MisterJ), that a 780 video card did not have that support from the factory. I recall I had to update the VBIOS of a EVGA 650 for GOP support, but I don't recall doing that for my 760, perhaps I did. Confused  EVGA had GOP support in their product's VBIOS before other manufactures.

You could test the 780 for UEFI/GOP support on another PC where the 780 works with the GPU-Z tool from TechPowerUp:

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

For example, see the box labeled UEFI below the NVIDIA logo:

If your 780 does not have that box checked, its VBIOS does not support UEFI/GOP, and that is most likely the issue. IMO, this is worth checking, at least to eliminate it from further consideration. Possibly the 1080 being GOP compatible does not like working with a non-GOP compatible card, or the driver installer does not like the difference. Sorry but this is an interesting problem, I'm curious what the source is, and the resolution.

I don't have your board, and the manual is outdated compared to the UEFI/BIOS updates, to find the TOLUD option, if you even have that option. I highly doubt that is the cause, since that is only an issue when using four or more video cards. You have so much DRAM memory, there is plenty for Windows to use.

That the 780 is not seen in the NVIDIA control panel is really bad, that is so basic and should not happen. If we check the X399 Taichi manual's SLI and CrossFire sections (NOT what you are doing, I know that) the setup procedure is to simply insert two, three, or four cards at the same time, not one at a time. It is expected that all the cards are identical, but that should not be a problem here AFAIK. I will try two different cards in my Ryzen system as a generally related test.

Beyond the above, I've got nothing else. Besides the 780 being broken, but that is not the situation. The potentially different driver in a post above is something to check on. You could try posting in the EVGA forum about this.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic