ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Z270 Extreme 4 not posting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock Z270 Extreme 4 not posting
    Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 2:04am
Hi, been running through these forums for a bit now, wanted to try everything I could before posting something irrelevant, and hopefully I'll be avoiding that still.

Trying to get a new build up and running for my girlfriend but this ASRock board just will not post.  I haven't done a build for about 3 years, when I did mine, so I'm hoping I've just overlooked something very minor.  My hunch is that the board is dead, but I haven't been able to test with a different CPU or PSU.

ASRock z270 Extreme 4 LGA 1151
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 4x4 GB DDR4 2400
Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW ACX3.0
EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 80+ Gold

The board says REV 1.04 underneath the model name which is printed just below the first PCIe slot, I assume that this is the BIOS version?

Now, to the main issue.  When I boot up, there's no beep, no POST.  The mobo lights blink 9 times in sort of a quicker succession, then changes to more of a "breathing" dim/bright light cycle.

I've removed the GPU, using onboard graphics to try and POST.  Trying DVI with one monitor and VGA with another, older monitor.

I've tried RAM setups using A1, A2, B1, B2 slots originally, then I tried A2 and B2, now I'm trying just A2, cycling through my different sticks of RAM.

I've re-seated the CPU at least twice, I'm confident that it's seated correctly.

I reset the CMOS via this forum's instructions; removing power wire from the PSU, holding down the power on the chassis for 10s, setting the CMOS jumper to the clear position, 23, removing the CMOS battery.  I let it sit like this for over 12 hours, your forum recommended 4 hours to be completely sure no residual power was left in the board.

This morning I put the CMOS jumper back to the regular position, 12, reinstalled the battery, and tried again to boot up, which of course it didn't POST.

I have the 24-pin mobo connector and the 8-pin (4+4-pin for this PSU) CPU connector installed.  The CPU connector is not a VGA/PCIe power connector.  I've even tried plugging it into different CPU ports on the PSU, as it's one of the fancy modular PSU's.

RESOLVED:

I tried using just B2 with a single stick of RAM, and it's posting and gotten to BIOS.  Going to make this post anyway just in case someone with these exact same issues comes along.  If this isn't appropriate, please feel free to delete my post.

Once I got to BIOS, found out there was no beep because it was disabled in the BIOS.  There's also an option in the BIOS to read your USB ports as PS/2.  I was having a problem with the Windows 7 install disc reading the mouse and keyboard.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 5:09am
Originally posted by shug shug wrote:

Hi, been running through these forums for a bit now, wanted to try everything I could before posting something irrelevant, and hopefully I'll be avoiding that still.

Trying to get a new build up and running for my girlfriend but this ASRock board just will not post.  I haven't done a build for about 3 years, when I did mine, so I'm hoping I've just overlooked something very minor.  My hunch is that the board is dead, but I haven't been able to test with a different CPU or PSU.

ASRock z270 Extreme 4 LGA 1151
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 4x4 GB DDR4 2400
Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW ACX3.0
EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 80+ Gold

The board says REV 1.04 underneath the model name which is printed just below the first PCIe slot, I assume that this is the BIOS version?

Now, to the main issue.  When I boot up, there's no beep, no POST.  The mobo lights blink 9 times in sort of a quicker succession, then changes to more of a "breathing" dim/bright light cycle.

I've removed the GPU, using onboard graphics to try and POST.  Trying DVI with one monitor and VGA with another, older monitor.

I've tried RAM setups using A1, A2, B1, B2 slots originally, then I tried A2 and B2, now I'm trying just A2, cycling through my different sticks of RAM.

I've re-seated the CPU at least twice, I'm confident that it's seated correctly.

I reset the CMOS via this forum's instructions; removing power wire from the PSU, holding down the power on the chassis for 10s, setting the CMOS jumper to the clear position, 23, removing the CMOS battery.  I let it sit like this for over 12 hours, your forum recommended 4 hours to be completely sure no residual power was left in the board.

This morning I put the CMOS jumper back to the regular position, 12, reinstalled the battery, and tried again to boot up, which of course it didn't POST.

I have the 24-pin mobo connector and the 8-pin (4+4-pin for this PSU) CPU connector installed.  The CPU connector is not a VGA/PCIe power connector.  I've even tried plugging it into different CPU ports on the PSU, as it's one of the fancy modular PSU's.

RESOLVED:

I tried using just B2 with a single stick of RAM, and it's posting and gotten to BIOS.  Going to make this post anyway just in case someone with these exact same issues comes along.  If this isn't appropriate, please feel free to delete my post.

Once I got to BIOS, found out there was no beep because it was disabled in the BIOS.  There's also an option in the BIOS to read your USB ports as PS/2.  I was having a problem with the Windows 7 install disc reading the mouse and keyboard.

Seating DDR4 DIMMs in the memory slots can be difficult, particularly with the one sided locking latches. When using two DIMMs, they should be mounted in the A2 and B2 slots.

To check for correct insertion in the DIMM slot, you should not see any of the DIMM's gold contact points showing above the edge of the DIMM slot.  Use the edge of the DIMM slot as a reference line to determine if the DIMM is seated correctly from one end of the slot to the other.

The UEFI/BIOS version is not the board's revision number. The dual UEFI/BIOS chips, located in the lower right area of the board, should have at least one sticker on them with the UEFI version number printed on it.

The blinking, breathing light you see is the board's RGB lighting under the Z270 chipset's heat sink. These LEDs are only for decorative purposes, and provide no information. You are certainly not the first person that thought otherwise.

Windows 7 is not officially supported by any of the Intel 200 series chipset boards, such as the Z270. All of the newer Intel platforms and the new AMD Ryzen platform are the same. The main issue is these systems only use a USB 3.0 driver for all the USB ports, including the USB 2.0 ports. Windows 7 does not have a built in USB 3.0 driver, so none of the USB ports will work during a Windows 7 installation. Using a PS2 keyboard and mouse will work. You can also modify the Windows 7 installation media to add a USB 3.0 driver. Information about the various techniques and procedures for installing Windows 7 on these systems can be found here:

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Win7Install/index.html
shug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 5:43am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Seating DDR4 DIMMs in the memory slots can be difficult, particularly with the one sided locking latches. When using two DIMMs, they should be mounted in the A2 and B2 slots.

To check for correct insertion in the DIMM slot, you should not see any of the DIMM's gold contact points showing above the edge of the DIMM slot.  Use the edge of the DIMM slot as a reference line to determine if the DIMM is seated correctly from one end of the slot to the other.

The UEFI/BIOS version is not the board's revision number. The dual UEFI/BIOS chips, located in the lower right area of the board, should have at least one sticker on them with the UEFI version number printed on it.

The blinking, breathing light you see is the board's RGB lighting under the Z270 chipset's heat sink. These LEDs are only for decorative purposes, and provide no information. You are certainly not the first person that thought otherwise.

Windows 7 is not officially supported by any of the Intel 200 series chipset boards, such as the Z270. All of the newer Intel platforms and the new AMD Ryzen platform are the same. The main issue is these systems only use a USB 3.0 driver for all the USB ports, including the USB 2.0 ports. Windows 7 does not have a built in USB 3.0 driver, so none of the USB ports will work during a Windows 7 installation. Using a PS2 keyboard and mouse will work. You can also modify the Windows 7 installation media to add a USB 3.0 driver. Information about the various techniques and procedures for installing Windows 7 on these systems can be found here:

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Win7Install/index.html

The USB part was resolved in the BIOS, I included that as a note to others that may stumble upon this; same with why there was no beeps from the motherboard.  Thank you for the other info.

I tried several different RAM configurations; I know it's supposed to boot with A2 and B2.  This is not the case for this particular mobo.  I was only able to get it to work using the B2 slot.

I've now installed Windows 7 and most updates and drivers.  However, I still cannot get the A1 and A2 slots to work.  I can run two sticks of RAM in the B1 and B2 slots.  Whenever I try any configuration involving the A1 and A2 slots, the mobo will not POST whatsoever.  As soon as I change the configuration to only B1 and B2, it boots up like normal.

I've swapped all four sticks, one at a time, through the B2 slot, to make sure it would boot.  All of the sticks work fine, everything works fine; that is, until I try using the A1 or A2 slots.  I cannot find an option to use dual channel memory.  I can only do a single channel setup.

I'm quite positive that the RAM is seated correctly, especially as I've tried multiple configurations, multiple times.

The RAM is 1.2V, if that helps any.

The stickers on what I presume are the BIOS chips both read "P2.20".
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 6:25am
Check the CPU and socket for bent pins or debris. Also check the CPU contacts and make sure they are not damaged, smeared in thermal paste or that the substrate isn't warped/bent (the substrate is the green board the CPU is attached to).

I have had a few instances where RAM slots did not work that were caused by bent pins, thermal compound on CPU contacts and one instance where the CPU itself was actually warped due to excessive force from the CPU cooler.
shug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 5:09am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Check the CPU and socket for bent pins or debris. Also check the CPU contacts and make sure they are not damaged, smeared in thermal paste or that the substrate isn't warped/bent (the substrate is the green board the CPU is attached to).

I have had a few instances where RAM slots did not work that were caused by bent pins, thermal compound on CPU contacts and one instance where the CPU itself was actually warped due to excessive force from the CPU cooler.

Well, turns out this mobo came with 3 bent pins.  Looks like I'll have to try and RMA it, assuming ASRock covers this.  I was very gentle and careful installing the CPU, I don't see how I could have caused this damage.

https://imgur.com/E1P0acZ

https://imgur.com/t9DMHoV

https://imgur.com/8kzmDWn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic