ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399: New Board - Safe to use BIOS Flashback?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmmec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399: New Board - Safe to use BIOS Flashback?
    Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 7:54am
Hello,

I'm new here, and will be doing my first ever build once the X399 Taichi and other components arrive over the next week.

Since I'll want to upgrade the BIOS, I read the section in the manual on the "BIOS Flashback Switch".  This feature is also referenced in the following post, however it was unsuccessful, but  perhaps because the MB was thought to be DOA:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6053&KW=bios+flashback&PID=35876&title=x399-professional-flashing-red-light#35876

Just two questions:

1. Has anyone successfully used the BIOS flashback feature on an X399 board to upgrade to a new BIOS?

2. Any clue why the Asrock website doesn't mention this option for installing updated firmware, but instead refers to booting into BIOS and using Instant Flash (link below), or else flashing from Windows (which I've read to avoid):

https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS8

Thanks!
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:33am
Thanks, jmmec, I was going to ask the very questions.  Thanks also for the link on the user trying it.  I missed it.  No one asked if the BIOS file had been renamed to creative.rom.  I have a RAID problem on my system and I suspect there is some data left laying around somewhere.  I know the normal means of clearing do not help.  I may well try the Flashback before I RMA my board.  I watched a number of Videos about this but they all applied to ASUS not ASRock.  I like this one because she goes thru the whole process which includes a boot and updating of the BIOS after the preliminary process.  Her video angles are not as good as others.  I think the real purpose is to recover the board when a BIOS update has gone bad.  I have always used Instant Flash from the BIOS and that is what I recommend.  Please open the BIOS hit F9 (Load UEFI Defaults), F10 (Save and Exit), boot back into BIOS, flash update-reboots at the end, boot back into BIOS, hit F9 then F10.  Why are you asking about Flashback?  Here is another mention of Flashback: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6349&PN=2&title=agesa-1007-incoming
Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  SoniC uses Flashback.  See the thread I pointed to above.

Edited by MisterJ - 22 Nov 2017 at 8:41am
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
jmmec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmmec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 11:17pm
Ah, OK.... 

I was thinking about using the BIOS flashback feature to upgrade to the latest firmware prior to  installing the CPU / etc.  But I'll probably go through the entire build & then boot into BIOS and follow the instructions for the Instant Flash option.

Thank you
jmmec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmmec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 11:57pm
BTW, I came across instructions + pictures on how to use the BIOS flashback feature on the Asrock website in their "FAQ" section:

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X399%20Taichi/index.us.asp#FAQ

It is under the following Question dated August 1, 2017:

Q: I'd like to install the TR4 1900X CPU on X399Taichi or X399 Prof. Gaming, what should I do?
Please refer to the following steps to update the BIOS P1.30 or later version to support TR4 1900X CPU. (2017/8/1)

The above is much more detailed than the manual, especially since it includes pictures which confirm that you only need to plug in the 24-pin power cable and flip your PSU to "ON":   it's not necessary to have the CPU installed, or other power or other cables, and you don't power up the motherboard of course.

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 12:20am
Thanks, jmmec.  I just finished a Flashback and it went fine.  The instructions you pointed to are very good.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic