ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overclock settings for 1950x and Gskill RAM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kemijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overclock settings for 1950x and Gskill RAM
    Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 12:23pm
Hey all, I have my first new build and I'm new to overclocking. I was wondering if someone could help me with a nice stable overclock mainly for VFX work...there's is so much data online to sift through and none seem to be easy to follow or specific to my build. Any help appreciated!

Parts list:

Asrock X399 Taichi
AMD Threadripper 1950x
G.Skill Tridentz 128GB 3200 CL14 (14-14-14-34)
MSI Duke 1080Ti
Corsair HX1000i
Enermax Liqtech TR4 360 as top exhaust
Crucial MX300 512 GB M.2
Samsung 960 Evo NVME 1TB M.2
Fractal Design Define S
Two Fractal Design Venturi High Pressure fans for intake, one stock case fan as exhaust

Current settings:

Asrock Bios 2.00
Windows 10 Pro
CPU settings in bios are default
Ryzen Master overclock settings - 3.9 all cores Ghz at 1.225 voltage. No change to RAM here.
XMP 2.0 is on in the bios but running at less than advertised speed. CPU-Z reports my ram as 2926.4 (1463.2 x 2) at 16-18-18-36.
CPU temp idles around 34.25C with Ryzen Master. It seems to fluctuate widely without it.
Stress test with Prime95 had a fairly consistent CPU temp of 55C, which sometimes peaked as high as 65C before coming back down. I don't think it was throttling but unsure.
Cinebench score is around 3148 after subsequent runs. It gets faster as the CPU temp rises.

Finally some questions:

I can't get the machine to post with 128 GB set to 3200 with XMP. Would it be possible to reach 3200 if I overclocked the CPU in the Bios? Is that how it works?

What are the bios settings to achieve a CPU overclock of 3.9Ghz on all cores in the bios? What about 4.0Ghz?

Is 128Gb RAM overclocked to 3200 possible with my setup? Has anyone achieved this? I believe I was able to reach 3200 with 64 GB Ram. Is it true that more GB are harder to overclock?

Thanks for any and all help!
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:04am
kemijo, nice setup, thanks for the specifications but placing them in your signature makes them show on every page.  If you do not hear from datonyb (local memory OC guy), then please PM him and tell him I suggested you do it.  Here is some of what I know.  I suspect the X399 BIOS/AGESA is not ready for 128 GB at 3200 MHz.  I just installed 4x8 GB and am running it at SPD (2400 MHz) for a while.  I think maybe G.Skill will release 128 GB FlareX (for AMD-specifically TR) when the the BIOS/AGESA is available.  You may be able to get your Trident Z there but ask datonyb.  My cores almost all run at about 4 GHz most of the time (AIDA64), but I do not OC and know little.  There are users who can help you there.  I do not see your power supply specification and hope it is over a horse power.  Also what architecture is W10 (hope 64 bit).  It is probably the Advanced Memory Tuning that is lowering your memory speed to have a better chance of POSTing.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 3:03am
yes yes and yes Tongue

there ya go i answered ...............

ok sorry its british humour forgive me

right heres some text hopefully it will cover your ponderments

first off youve spent a fortune !

respect !
second you have made what seems an informed choice over the ram

if anything is going to get you 3200 mhz with 128 gb that ram is the best chance

now heres how 'WE' can try and help you get there
first off make a cup of tea sit ya butt down and read thru this 20 page article by chew (brian guiness record holder with amd stuff). its based on his teasting and overclocking of ram on your exact board
http://www.overclock.net/t/1638140/asrock-x399-taichi-fatality-overclocking-and-unofficial-support
this will bring you miles of knowledge and experiance with ram and your board,
next have a ciggie break (if you dont smoke i suggest starting LOL )
right next up follow the instructions in this first post by 1usmus, it will allow you to run a program to suggest what settings to tweak in your bios (you do know the stock xmp settings for your ram are based on intel bios/chipsets ?) this program reads the info works out the ram quaility and then suggests the settings to change to make amd happy with the ram
http://www.overclock.net/t/1640919/ryzen-dram-calculator-overclocking-dram
when you get the results shown in the program take a piccie or print it off so you can refer to piccie while in the bios of your board

any problems im here very evening u.k. time to assist
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
kemijo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kemijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 6:30am
Thanks so much for replying, and with great help as well! I worked a lot of overtime this year so I splurged...on something that will let me work MORE dear god what am I doing with my life Cry I think I came out ok, much of the components were refurb or on sale...not cheap but could have been worse!

@Mister J I am running Windows 10 Pro. My PSU is 1000w, I hope that can hold me for a decent overclock and an additional 2 or 3 GPUs in the future! If not I suppose I'll need to upgrade later. Asrock has released a new Bios and updated the AGESA to 1.0.0.6 I believe, but perhaps you are correct and it will be an ongoing thing. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, it looks like datonyb heard the call :)

@datonyb Haha thanks for all that great info, looks like I have some studying ahead. I think I came across both of those sites before, but I admit I didn't read front to back. I guess I'll put a kettle on...I don't smoke cigarettes but hopefully I won't be driven to where smoking won't be good enough LOL

I'll get reading and come back with any questions, thanks for the advice!
AMD Threadripper 1950x|Asrock X399 Taichi|GSkill TridentZ 3200 C14 128GB|MSI Duke 1080Ti|Crucial MX300 M.2|Samsung Evo 960 M.2|Corsair HX1000i|Enermax Liqtech 360|Fractal Design Define S|Acer XR382CQK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic