ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z370 Extreme4 No Display

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z370 Extreme4 No Display
    Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 8:27am
[URL=][/URL]First time PC builder with a bit of a problem. I've got all the components in the case and all plugged in. When powered on, fans spin and lots of things light up: mobo, aio, RAM, GPU, etc. However, nothing is being displayed to my monitor.

Here's my full specs:
  • ASRock Z370 Extreme4
  • Intel 8700k
  • Corsair H115i AIO
  • 4x DDR4 8GB G. Skill TridentZ RGB (F4-2400C15Q-32GTZR)
  • ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
  • Samsung EVO 250GB SSD
  • SeaGate 3.5" HDD
  • SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850W 80+ Gold
  • Dell S2417DG Monitor

Some things to note:
  • When first plugged in to the PSU, there was a flash of light from inside the case. (Perhaps just the RGB components turning on briefly?)
  • Initially, I realized I had plugged in the PWRBTN with the positive side hitting a GND socket.
  • After correcting the position of the PWRBTN connector, as well as checking all other connections, the PC powered on just fine. Fans were on and much of the RGB components were lit except the A_1 and B_2 slots of RAM. Only A_2 and B_1 RAM were lit.
  • I removed A_1 and B_1 RAM to try and boot with the suggested setup for 2 RAM sticks. This didn't help.
  • I've also tried booting with just one stick in A_2 to no avail.
  • I tried clearing the CMOS by closing the circuit on the jumpers, this did nothing.

Edited by jpea - 07 Dec 2017 at 8:28am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 11:14am
Originally posted by jpea jpea wrote:

[URL=][/URL]First time PC builder with a bit of a problem. I've got all the components in the case and all plugged in. When powered on, fans spin and lots of things light up: mobo, aio, RAM, GPU, etc. However, nothing is being displayed to my monitor.

Here's my full specs:
  • ASRock Z370 Extreme4
  • Intel 8700k
  • Corsair H115i AIO
  • 4x DDR4 8GB G. Skill TridentZ RGB (F4-2400C15Q-32GTZR)
  • ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
  • Samsung EVO 250GB SSD
  • SeaGate 3.5" HDD
  • SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850W 80+ Gold
  • Dell S2417DG Monitor

Some things to note:
  • When first plugged in to the PSU, there was a flash of light from inside the case. (Perhaps just the RGB components turning on briefly?)
  • Initially, I realized I had plugged in the PWRBTN with the positive side hitting a GND socket.
  • After correcting the position of the PWRBTN connector, as well as checking all other connections, the PC powered on just fine. Fans were on and much of the RGB components were lit except the A_1 and B_2 slots of RAM. Only A_2 and B_1 RAM were lit.
  • I removed A_1 and B_1 RAM to try and boot with the suggested setup for 2 RAM sticks. This didn't help.
  • I've also tried booting with just one stick in A_2 to no avail.
  • I tried clearing the CMOS by closing the circuit on the jumpers, this did nothing.

The flash of light from within the PC case is worrisome, the RGB LEDs on the board (around the chipset heatsink and IO panel shroud) should not provide that much light. They are normally on once the PSU is switched off and then on. If you remove power from the board (turn off PSU) and then apply power again, the RGB LEDs should behave the same way every time. Meaning you would see that flash of light every time you first remove and then apply power to the board. My similar ASRock board with RGB LEDs does not produce any bright flash when I tried turning the PSU off and then on. The RGB LEDs remain on in that situation.

The PSU's +5V Standby power rail is applied to the board whenever the PSU switch is on, although when power is removed from the board and applied again it is not in the same power state as after a normal shutdown in Windows.

That flash might have come from the G.SKILL RGB LEDs, and again I would expect them to do the same thing when power is applied to the board. Have you ever seen that flash of light again since the first time you saw it? If it cannot be traced back to the RGB LEDs, I would look closely at the board to look for signs of damaged components. Any chance a mother board standoff bolt from a different sized board previously in the PC case is shorting the bottom of the board? It's impossible to know if damage in one part of the board would cause everything else to fail, which is not what you experience, since the fans spin, etc.

Your memory is compatible with your system, but we have had reports of problems with G.SKILL's RGB memory just as you had. The RGB LEDs not working with the DIMMs in the A1 and B1 slots. Without going into detail, G.SKILL's implementation of the RGB control for the memory seem to interfere with the operation of the memory in some cases. Check the G.SKILL forum for more information about that. I cannot say that this is definitely your problem, but something to keep in mind. If you happen to have any other DDR4 memory to use as a test, that would be something to try,

Do you have a POST beep speaker connected to the board? If not it might help you discover what the problem is. If POST completes successfully you would hear the single POST Ok beep. Other sets of beeps mean different things, three beeps in quick succession is a memory problem.

Sorry but must ask, do you have both the 24 pin ATX and 4/8 pin CPU power cable from the PSU connected to the board? Both are required.

Try removing the video card and just use the Intel iGPU to see if you can get into the UEFI/BIOS. Check that the video card is fully seated in its slot and the locking clip is closed.

Do you know if any of your drives are connected to the ASMedia SATA ports? Those are the SATA3_A1_A2 ports at the bottom of the stack of SATA ports. They can be problematic sometimes, and using the Intel SATA ports is always best. They perform better too. You can just disconnect power from the drives as a test to see if they are the cause.

jpea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

The flash of light from within the PC case is worrisome, the RGB LEDs on the board (around the chipset heatsink and IO panel shroud) should not provide that much light. They are normally on once the PSU is switched off and then on. If you remove power from the board (turn off PSU) and then apply power again, the RGB LEDs should behave the same way every time. Meaning you would see that flash of light every time you first remove and then apply power to the board. My similar ASRock board with RGB LEDs does not produce any bright flash when I tried turning the PSU off and then on. The RGB LEDs remain on in that situation.

The PSU's +5V Standby power rail is applied to the board whenever the PSU switch is on, although when power is removed from the board and applied again it is not in the same power state as after a normal shutdown in Windows.

That flash might have come from the G.SKILL RGB LEDs, and again I would expect them to do the same thing when power is applied to the board. Have you ever seen that flash of light again since the first time you saw it? If it cannot be traced back to the RGB LEDs, I would look closely at the board to look for signs of damaged components. Any chance a mother board standoff bolt from a different sized board previously in the PC case is shorting the bottom of the board? It's impossible to know if damage in one part of the board would cause everything else to fail, which is not what you experience, since the fans spin, etc.

Your memory is compatible with your system, but we have had reports of problems with G.SKILL's RGB memory just as you had. The RGB LEDs not working with the DIMMs in the A1 and B1 slots. Without going into detail, G.SKILL's implementation of the RGB control for the memory seem to interfere with the operation of the memory in some cases. Check the G.SKILL forum for more information about that. I cannot say that this is definitely your problem, but something to keep in mind. If you happen to have any other DDR4 memory to use as a test, that would be something to try,

Do you have a POST beep speaker connected to the board? If not it might help you discover what the problem is. If POST completes successfully you would hear the single POST Ok beep. Other sets of beeps mean different things, three beeps in quick succession is a memory problem.

Sorry but must ask, do you have both the 24 pin ATX and 4/8 pin CPU power cable from the PSU connected to the board? Both are required.

Try removing the video card and just use the Intel iGPU to see if you can get into the UEFI/BIOS. Check that the video card is fully seated in its slot and the locking clip is closed.

Do you know if any of your drives are connected to the ASMedia SATA ports? Those are the SATA3_A1_A2 ports at the bottom of the stack of SATA ports. They can be problematic sometimes, and using the Intel SATA ports is always best. They perform better too. You can just disconnect power from the drives as a test to see if they are the cause.

I never saw that same flash of light from within the case again. It was when the PSU was connected to power but the switch had not been set to on. This was also when the PWRBTN was connected to a GND socket.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other memory sticks to test.

I don't have a POST speaker, but I can try and get one.

Yes, both the 24 pin and 8 pin cords are connected.

I will try to boot it up with just the integrated graphics.

Yes, I have my SSD connected to the A_2 SATA port. I can try booting without that as well.

Thank you very much for the tips and info. I will get to testing as soon as I can. I really hope I didn't damage the motherboard. Hopefully this can be resolved, I was also thinking of taking the PC in to some sort of repair shop because I really feel like I've gotten in over my head

headmaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 4:58am
I am having exact the same problem here.

-Z370 Killer
-BIOS 1.01
-i3.8100

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z370%20Killer%20SLI/index.asp

Please post if problem saluted.
ssyipa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssyipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 1:50pm
how do you guys solve the problem, it's happening on my Z370 Extreme4 ....Cry
VaheArmen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VaheArmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 3:09pm
all 3 of you RMA your motherboards, idk but I know Jpea should.
mcmayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcmayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 12:43am
I had the same issue. It turned out that the RAM sticks weren't inserted properly. I had to use a significant amount of force until top and bottom clicked in.
TechnoGear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechnoGear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 2:41pm
Almost the same problem asrock z370 pro4, core i5 , 2 slots of aegis, no display signal, after reset bios it works but freeze after couple of minutes and no signal again, dont know what to do, did someone solve this problem, plz help!
redaxelfoley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redaxelfoley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 4:09pm
SAME PROBLEM HERE

i have:

CPU: Intel 8600K (no OC)
MOBO: Asrock Z370 Fatality K6 (with latest bios 3.10)
GPU: MSI 1070 TI
MONITOR: LG 27UD69 (connected with display port to gpu and hdmi to MOBO)
RAM: DDR4 Corsair Dominator 3GHZ (dual channel A2 / B2) 2x8GB
SSD: 970 Evo
HDD: 2x Western Digital Gold 2TB connected to intel sata port (not to ASMEDIA SATA)
PSU: Corsair TX850

I am so angry about this problem. Because i am sure about 2months ago that problem was of video card.
So i sended the gpu to msi in poland (i am from italy) and pay 31??for send the video card
After a week MSI contact me and the content of the mail was so funny "video card works fine, doesn't any problem here"

So they sended back my gpu and now i still have this problem.

NO DISPLAY PORT SIGNAL.

i tried to connect 1070ti with hdmi and i have same problem.

For now i am forced to use IGFX (integrated graphic of intel CPU).

Can Asrock resolve this very stupid problem? I need my pc for works.

i am so tired, last 7days and i think to buy another motherboard and sell this to someone.

Thanks for all.
Animalm4st3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Animalm4st3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 6:31am
Have you tried. Clearing CMOS or setting bios to Dedicated CPU
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic