ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x399 Fatality, 1950x, RAID problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x399 Fatality, 1950x, RAID problems
    Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 9:02am
I have made another interesting discovery.  Using a 16 GB USB stick to install Windows prevents the RAID drivers from installing properly and the RAID array(s) are not detected.  I would love to hear an explanation.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 12:26am
Does not seem anyone is really interested in this, but I have a test result.
I used the MS Media Creation Tool to create an ISO and used Rufus to write a USB stick using parameters for UEFI only and NTFS file system.  It boots and shows the RAID after installing the drivers.  A strangeness is both partitions of the USB show in the F11 - Boot Menu.  It does not matter which one is selected - both work.  The reason I tested the NTFS file system is because sometime my Install.wim file exceeds 4 GB and FAT32 would fail.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 5:38am
Today I successfully created a RAID0 from my three Samsung 960s (NVMe) and installed W10 on them.  I created a RAID0 as above and used the Media Creation Tool USB and installed W10 with no problem.  I tried my Rufus created USB stick (FAT32 this time) and could never see the RAID0 in the "Install Where" screen after Load Driver.  Then I tried booting my WinPE USB and I could see my RAID0 after Load Driver, so I installed W10 from files on a hard drive.  I am running on the RAID0 now and it seems to work fine.  This was the very first thing I tried (seems like years ago) and it would not show the RAID0.  I had injected the RAID drivers and did not this time.  I will do some more testing on these failures as time goes.  The Rufus USB failure may well have to do with the method I used to build the ISO used as input to Rufus.  I do not think it is a Rufus problem.  I never tried setting SATA Mode to RAID but will later.  I did install RAIDXpert2 (RX2) in W10 and it works fine.  Enjoy, John.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:24am
Wednesday, I tried again to install W10 on a 3 NVMe SSD RAID0.  I had no trouble creating the RAID0.  I then booted my Rufus created USB stick with my personalized install files.  When I got to the "Where do you want to install Windows" screen, I could see the individual SSDs not the RAID0.  I had injected the ASRock RAID drivers into the Boot and Install .wim files.  On past implementations (before Ryzen), I would see the RAID as soon as I got to this screen.  I had also copied the driver files to the USB, so I tried doing a Load Driver for them (both ASrock and AMD).  I could never see the RAID0, just all the SSDs.  I installed W10 on one of the SSDs after doing a Diskpart Clean and it went fine.  My next try will be without the injected drivers in my image files.  I suspect that the injected drivers are somehow confusing SetUp.
Since I set CSM to Disabled, I only saw the UEFI version of my USB stick, after F11.
Some information on my install files (ISO).  It contains the first release of W10 1703 (Fall Creators Update, aka FCU aka RS3).  To this I added the latest cumulative update (patch level 98), drivers, and enabled/disabled Features.  This was accomplished using DISM, part of MS ADK.  Because of the added updates, the Install.wim file was over 4 GB.  Rufus thus changed the file system from FAT32 to NTFS.  This resulted in 2 partitions on the stick.  Sometime when I plug this stick into my system, I get a nasty message about errors, but sometime I can open both partitions and see the files - one large one with my data and a small one with Rufus files.  This prompted some research by me and I have much to understand yet.  It seems that MS made a change in FCU how W10 works on removable drives:
Quote As a result, the UEFI:NTFS partition, which sits at the end of the flash drive, will be mounted automatically (along with the other partition from the drive) in Windows Creators Update, whereas this is not the case with previous versions of Windows.
For brave ones, here is the details: https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/issues/931
This is further confused by having to boot the USB in UEFI mode.  Anyone with knowledge of all this is invited to comment.  I should try again in the next few days and report the outcome - more research in the meantime.  Enjoy, John.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 4:00am
Thanks, msco.  I have used the UEFI entry to boot from for a couple of years, but you are correct, the instruction to do so is missing.  I do not mess with IOMMU and do not think it is needed but I have not been successful on my install using my created USB stick.  As I said in my last post, I Disabled CSM and this results in only showing UEFI entries with F11.
Some questions.  What version of W10 are you running?  Use Win Key-R, winver to get the whole string.  What does this mean:
Quote ...still get a notification window from RAIDXpert2 on windows login...
Please post the notification.  Are you able to get into RX2?  If not, did you install the RAID drivers in W10?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: Will post later on my experience with a Rufus created USB install on a RAID0.

Edited by MisterJ - 15 Dec 2017 at 4:01am
msco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 11:14pm
Well I think I've got a (mostly) resolution, John from Asrock support replied to my ticket.

I missed an important option which wasn't really documented, after turning on SATA RAID, NVMe RAID and (from another thread's suggestion) turning off IOMMU in the north bridge BIOS settings, I needed to specifically select the UEFI partition on my Windows insaller USB - the default boot if you don't select it in the boot manager (F11 at boot up) is the basic USB, which won't support the NVMe RAID settings. This solved the windows install problem. 

Between getting NVMe RAID, turning IOMMU off, and getting the proper UEFI boot to install Windows the phantom drives have been defeated. They were still created the first time I rebooted after the new Windows install, but after deleting them in BIOS they have not returned. I do still get a notification window from RAIDXpert2 on windows login, but there is no error and the phantom drives are not there in the utility or BIOS.

msco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 3:20am
Just a small update here... AMD says I need to talk to Asrock technical support about it since they've never had this problem with their supplied boards. Matt also said my procedure to install on a stand alone m2 drive was correct - install windows in AHCI on the single drive, switch to RAID and set them up.

Here's a link to my thread on the AMD board:
https://community.amd.com/message/2837263#comment-2837263

I've filed a techncial support ticket with Asrock, I suspect they will tell me to RMA the board which I'm not very excited about...

Edited by msco - 14 Dec 2017 at 3:21am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:18pm
It looks like I am making progress and learning things.  I was able to delete the ghost RAID0 and all the real drives under Array Management-Delete and build a two NVMe drive RAID0.  It was my intent to use all my drives (3), but the drive numbers changed when I did a delete and I suspect I deleted one twice an one not all, so only two were available.  I was able to install W10 from a USB stick created by Windows Media Creation Tool.  The only strange happening was the first re-boot hung and required a Reset.  All other re-boots worked fine and W10 seemed OK.  When I tried to use WinPE to install from a Flat (drive), I could not get Setup to see the RAID0.  After trying many things, I surrendered, deleted the RAID0 and installed W10 on one of my SSDs.  The method I used was derived from a report from AMD support (Matt).  Since I was creating only an NVMe RAID, I did not change the SATA to RAID (left AHCI).  I also disabled CSM.  Working in the BIOS was really bad.  Almost all my clicks to do something required many tries.  When I wanted to select a drive, I might need to click on it 5 times to get results.  Always something!  I have created a USB stick (using RUFUS https://rufus.akeo.ie/ ) with my Unattended install .XML file and will test it on Hyper-V soon.  Enjoy, John.
msco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 10:02am
Thanks for the replies guys, good to know I'm not alone =) I had read both of your threads on this board during my troubleshooting, I'll go ahead and open an official support ticket with AMD beyond my thread on their support forum.

Coming from Intel builds the last 12 years this really is kind of baffling, I don't feel like my RAID set up is particularly complicated (basically just 2 Raid 0s, one with 2 disks one with 4) and with the Intel RAID controller it was dead simple. I'm really hoping AMD can get this worked out but I'm not expecting a resolution very soon. 

Below are some of the specs, MisterJ.

Windows 10 Pro, 1709 (installed VIA USB)
BIOS 2.0
Fatal1ty X399 Pro Gaming
TR 1950X
Corsair Vengeance 3000 (128GB)
EVGA 1080Ti
Plextor 1TB NVMe Gen 3 x4
2x Plextor 512GB NVMe Gen 3 x4
4x Samsung 1TB Evo 840 SSD 
1x HGST 8TB HDD
1x WD 2TB HDD

I'll open my ticket with AMD tomorrow and post any updates...

Mark
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 9:26am
I had a similar experience to yours. RAID implementation on this platform is very poor so far. I gave up after many attempts.

Not acceptable for a high end platform, but we have to live with it. Mine is with he x399 Taichi. Looks like AMD dropped the ball on this aspect.

Edited by daddyo - 08 Dec 2017 at 9:28am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic