ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 UEFI Version Upgrade Fails

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote underthedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 UEFI Version Upgrade Fails
    Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 10:34am
X399 Taichi motherboard with UEFI version 1.50 fails to upgrade.
The InstantFlash feature fails to recognize available upgrade file on EFI system partition as well as on external FAT-formatted USB stick.
Additionally, trying to install via InstantFlash Internet shows the available version.  However, every time I select the "Update" button, the result is "Internet Failure".

underthedog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote underthedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 10:52am
I've tried resetting the UEFI configuration settings to "default" levels.  Same results.
I've tried using either of the 2 Ethernet interfaces.  Same results.
For what it's worth, it would be useful to list what the UEFI InstantFlash tool expects or known success/failure prerequisites.

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 11:01am
underthedog, we need a lot more information.  Please post your system specifications in your signature.  Instant Flash expects the extracted BIOS.  Please tell us what BIOS you are trying to flash to.  I recommend you use only Instant Flash.  Please post the hash codes for the file you have on the USB stick.  I have never had a problem with Instant Flash on X370 FPG or X399 FPG.  The file on the USB should be exactly 16,777,216 bytes.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote underthedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 9:46am
Thanks for the quick response.  I had not expected that to come so quickly.  So, just to get it right, the UEFI/BIOS files are downloaded as a "ZIP" archive.  The archive should be extracted to the USB disk, right?

As for the rest of the requests:
I'm not sure that should matter, as long as the motherboard is listed; especially since the board holds the Network interface.

• ASRock Taichi X399
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 2 x 16GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 C16 Quad Channel Desktop Memory Kit
  • ASUS Radeon RX-580 8GB GDDR5 Video Card
  • EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G G2 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Power Supply
  • WD Black 512GB NVMe m.2 2280 PCIe Gen-3 Internal Solid State Drive
  • Corsair Carbide Air 540 High Airflow White LED ATX Cube Computer Case - Black
  • EVGA CLC 240 Liquid / Water CPU Cooler, RGB LED Cooling 400-HY-CL24-V1
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 3.4 GHz 16 Core TR4 Boxed Processor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote underthedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 9:49am
Also, the updated version of the UEFI software:

Archive:  x399-taichi-2.00-ROM.zip
  Length      Date    Time    Name
---------  ---------- -----   ----
 16777216  2017-11-21 12:29   X399TC2.00
---------                     -------
 16777216                     1 file

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 9:58am
This all looks good, underthedog.  The file name reflects Taichi and BIOS version 2.00.  Make sure your USB stick is formatted FAT32, Copy the extracted file to it and do a safe removal.  I have not tried Internet flash and do not know why it failed.  Have you installed W10 and tested your Internet access?  One user here found no Internet access until a change was made in the router.  Please let me hear if your Internet access is OK.  I recommend using Instant Flash.  Should take a minute or so.  Please let us hear.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
jmmec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jmmec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 10:03am
For very detailed step-by-step instructions with pictures for your X399, go to the following link:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X399%20Taichi/index.asp#FAQ

Then click on this Question:

Q: I'd like to install the TR4 1900X CPU on X399Taichi or X399 Prof. Gaming, what should I do?

You'll see everything you need to do.   This will work:  when I got my X399 board, this is exactly what I did to upgrade to the version 2.0 UEFI.   I have no idea what BIOS was originally installed since I never booted it up;  just plugged in the 24-pin power connector & followed the instructions.

Hope this helps...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote underthedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 10:21am
Thank you very much for the help.  After extracting the archive, which I had not realized had to be done :(, I was able to upgrade the UEFI version as expected.

Hug  Thumbs Up
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 10:48am
Originally posted by underthedog underthedog wrote:

Thanks for the quick response.  I had not expected that to come so quickly.  So, just to get it right, the UEFI/BIOS files are downloaded as a "ZIP" archive.  The archive should be extracted to the USB disk, right?

As for the rest of the requests:
I'm not sure that should matter, as long as the motherboard is listed; especially since the board holds the Network interface.

• ASRock Taichi X399
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 2 x 16GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 C16 Quad Channel Desktop Memory Kit
  • ASUS Radeon RX-580 8GB GDDR5 Video Card
  • EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G G2 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Power Supply
  • WD Black 512GB NVMe m.2 2280 PCIe Gen-3 Internal Solid State Drive
  • Corsair Carbide Air 540 High Airflow White LED ATX Cube Computer Case - Black
  • EVGA CLC 240 Liquid / Water CPU Cooler, RGB LED Cooling 400-HY-CL24-V1
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 3.4 GHz 16 Core TR4 Boxed Processor

What exactly happens when the UEFI update fails via Instant Flash as you said it did? The details may be important.

Normally when you start the Instant Flash feature in the UEFI, the USB flash drive is searched for valid UEFI files, and then lists their names if more than one is present. You then highlight/select the file you want to use, and then click on the file. You should then be prompted if you wish to proceed or not.

If you start the Instant Flash update, you should see a horizontal progress bar displayed. With other ASRock boards, you would see the text "Processing crashless feature" and then the actual update begins. It takes a minute or two to complete. You are then prompted to press Enter to restart the PC. Some updates will simply restart the PC, others may shut it down completely. That is fine, the PC will start by itself in a few seconds. There is no need to remove the USB flash drive, I would leave it in place until the PC restarts into the UEFI again, or boots into Windows. Instructions are available for each type of update, the Instant Flash version:

http://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS8

If any problem occurs during the UEFI update, please DO NOT turn off the PC! Just press the reset button and you will be put back into the UEFI again, or the update will begin or continue again. If you turn off the PC during a failed UEFI update situation, the UEFI will be corrupted and you will need to RMA the board. That does not seem to be what happened to you.

The downloaded .zip file is extracted to produce the actual file used by the update. Normally the .zip file is extracted onto whatever drive my download folder is stored in, and then I copy the unzipped file to the USB flash drive. The download file of course must be the Instant Flash update version.

The unzipped file in this case is named X399TC2.00, and its Windows Properties size is shown as 16.0 MB (16,777,216 bytes)

I've seen large capacity USB flash drives ( > than 16GB) cause problems occasionally when used for this purpose, or even as the source of a Window installation ISO file. What size USB flash drive are you using?

You can use any USB port for the USB flash drive, but I would not use the special BIOS Flashback port, just to be safe. I know of no reason not to use that USB port, but just in case, there are plenty of others to choose from.

While I do not have an X399 board, I have used Instant Flash many times on dozens of ASRock boards. I routinely flash every UEFI version made available for a board, My ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ board has 25 UEFI updates. I have never had an update failure or even a problem that I can recall.

If you do not have an OS installed on that board, with a fully configured Internet connection working in Windows, I would not try using the Internet Flash feature. Also when using Internet Flash, you should (must) have a USB flash drive in one of the USB ports. The UEFI update file will be written to the USB flash drive for use in case the initial UEFI update fails or is interrupted for some reason.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote underthedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 3:49pm
First, let me reiterate that this issue has been resolved after simply extracting the UEFI update files from the ZIP archive that's provided by ASRock.  This was my own ignorance, as I had assumed that the InstantFlash software would handle the archive, rather than the extracted file it contains.

As to the rest of the questions or items listed, I want to say thank you for taking the time to write a number of different pieces of advice; sources of information; and for sharing your experience.  Although, I have to say, I have a couple of Operating Systems installed on the board; none of them are Windows.

One of the primary reasons why I chose to build my own system, thereby purchasing this ASRock motherboard, is to be able to have a Windows-free system.  I've known plenty of people faced with this issue by many different manufacturers, where the primary focus is the Windows Operating System.  I'm sorry if it's a bit off-topic, but it's worth pointing out, especially after reading that the UEFI system itself relies on Windows features.  I suspect the primary reliance there is the need for a FAT-formatted partition, which is part of the UEFI standard, IIRC.  That's understandable, and not a problem. 

The last statement, however, about the need to have a Windows system installed, where the internet connection is configured, raises more questions for me.  The UEFI software has configuration options to set up the Network configuration.  It's limited to DHCP or PPPOE, but at least it allows the end-user to select DHCP, for example, after which the DHCP server should handle the rest.  If the Internet InstantFlash utility expects specific items from the DHCP server, that should be made known.  I'm still not sure why the Internet InstantFlash method succeeds to fetch the Changelog of the most recent available UEFI upgrade but would fail with a message that states "Internet Error" after selecting the "Update" button.  It's worth pointing out that this is the case even with a working USB drive in place, such as the one that I successfully used to flash the UEFI software upgrade that's mentioned in my initial message.  The presence of a Windows Operating System should have no impact on the UEFI software whatsoever, even as it relates to the Internet connection.

Edited by underthedog - 09 Dec 2017 at 3:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic