ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cannot overclock Ryzen 1700X after new BIOS update
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cannot overclock Ryzen 1700X after new BIOS update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cannot overclock Ryzen 1700X after new BIOS update
    Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 6:52am
Hi. I'm using  AsRock AB350 Pro4 + Ryzen 1700X
Since early BIOS versions I successfully used my CPU OC settings:
3825MHz @ 1.35V
This settings was absolutely safe and I had significant performance boost.

But after last update from BIOS version 3.3 to 4.2 any manual settings doesn't work.
They are simply ignored by the system. I can set any setting I want, but I definitely get just default performance of the CPU.

Please help me.

Edited by EGN - 11 Dec 2017 at 6:56am
Vakich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vakich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 7:43am
its bug of 4.20 version. you can flash back to 3.30. but do it on your own risk. 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by EGN EGN wrote:

Hi. I'm using  AsRock AB350 Pro4 + Ryzen 1700X
Since early BIOS versions I successfully used my CPU OC settings:
3825MHz @ 1.35V
This settings was absolutely safe and I had significant performance boost.

But after last update from BIOS version 3.3 to 4.2 any manual settings doesn't work.
They are simply ignored by the system. I can set any setting I want, but I definitely get just default performance of the CPU.

Please help me.

Sorry but you'll need to be much more specific about what the problem is.

The 4.20 UEFI/BIOS update contains the latest AMD AM4 AGESA 1.0.7.2 processor microcode. That is supplied to mother board manufactures from AMD.

What is the criteria (testing, usage differences, before and after results) that causes you to say that you have lost performance? Specific examples such as test results before and after the update is one way to demonstrate any change in performance. Also, examples of default vs over clocked performance.

It sounds like your CPU OC/Frequency can be detected and displayed in Windows by monitoring programs, is that correct? Or is something else displayed?

What version of Windows are you using?

The stock/default Turbo speed of a 1700X is 3800MHz, and the XFR feature could extend that to 3825MHz with good cooling. So your OC is basically an all core Turbo configuration.

Do you OC using the OC Tweaker screen options, or do you use P-States in the AMD CBS option screens?

Are you certain that all of the processor related options in the UEFI are identical between the 3.30 and 4.20 UEFI versions? That would include CPU power saving options. The new AGESA microcode may have changed the way the OC Tweaker and AMD CBS options interact. For example, there are two screens for DRAM configuration, one in OC Tweaker, the other in AMD CBS. The OC Tweaker screen settings had priority in the past, that may have changed.

EGN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 5:44pm
parsec
Thank you for reply.

First of all - under full load (100%) maximum frequencies to all cores and threads are 3.5Ghz
Please take a look to the screenshot below:

And yes, I have a good cooling solution - Noctua NH-D15
So even under full load temperatures are very low and fans speed is somewhat like 800 rpm.

As I mentioned before, my CPU overclocked to 3.825GHz @ 1.35V
I'm using this OC settings in OC Tweaker.

My OS is Windows 10 Pro with latest updates.

So, after new BIOS update I got significant performance loss - about 7-8% for sure. My daily tasks (about 3-7 hours under 100% workload) now will be executed up to 10% longer.

What else I want to say is that Gear Down mode setting doesn't work if you set it up in CBS options rather then OC Tweaker DRAM configuration.
Vakich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vakich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 7:39pm
bratan, v biose delo. otkativaysya i vse budet normalno. 1000 tem yzhe tyt bilo po etomy povody
EGN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 6:39am
Vakich
Spasibo
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 2:11am
im sorry but im sure im not alone in saying

ive now stopped reading this thread due to it not being followed in english

how are we supposed to help when we have no idea whats being said or suggested
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Vakich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vakich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 7:34am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

im sorry but im sure im not alone in saying

ive now stopped reading this thread due to it not being followed in english

how are we supposed to help when we have no idea whats being said or suggested
sorry. i wrote him the same message on russian, that i posted above
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:17am
EGN, thanks for your proof about the performance problem with the new 4.20 UEFI version. ASRock and I are sorry that you had that experience with that new UEFI version. You are right that there is a problem with the 4.20 UEFI, sorry to say.

I have some news about the new AM4 UEFIs with the 1.0.7.2 AGESA microcode. ASRock knows there is a problem with them, and has now removed them from all the AM4 mother board UEFI/BIOS download pages. Those UEFI versions are not dangerous, but the performance issue will be fixed as soon as possible. Exactly when the new UEFI versions will be available, I do not know at this time.

Anyone that has updated to an AM4 4.xx UEFI version dated in early December, 2017 (12/1/2017 - 12/10/2017) should use Instant Flash to change back to the UEFI version that was issued prior to the version with the AGESA 1.0.7.2 microcode.

For example, for the A320M-HDV, A320M-DGS, A320M Pro4, AB350M-HDV, Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4, AB350 Pro4, and the AB350M Pro4, that would be UEFI version 3.30.

For the X370 Killer SLI and X370 Killer SLI/ac boards, the Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X, Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4,  Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac, and Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac, that would be version 3.40.

For the Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, A320M, and the AB350M, that is version 3.10.

For the X370 Taichi, that is version 3.20.

It is completely safe to change to the previous UEFI version using Instant Flash. If you've never used Instant Flash, instructions can be found in the link below, or with the link on the BIOS download page for your board:

http://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS8

If anyone has questions about this, feel free to ask.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused ASRock AM4 users.

EGN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EGN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 2:35am
parsec
Thank you very much. I'm restoring old UEFI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic